RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

IPOD Adpater USASPEC PA20-TOY

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 02:36 PM
DonH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPOD Adpater USASPEC PA20-TOY

I have a 2008 RX400h with GPS Navigation. I installed the PA20-TOY because it's supposed to give some me control of the IPOD through the Nav screen. I installed the adapter but I can only play it as Disc 7 where it plays all the songs or Disc 8 where I can control the IPOD through the click wheel on the device. Has anyone one else magaged to get the PA20-TOY to work right?
Old 02-18-09, 06:50 PM
Gene3x
Driver School Candidate

I am curious about this as well as I was thinking of installing one in my 2004 LC. I have used the Vaistech one and is limited in search functions. Seems it is almost best just to use the click wheel on the ipod as an interface and save the money of these more expensive radio interface devices. Anybody know the best direct connect IPOD interface?
Old 02-20-09, 06:34 AM
TOBASCO
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure I'll be able to help, but I'll at least share my initial experience. My wife and I bought our Rx400 a couple of weeks ago, and had the iPod adaptor installed (in the glove box). Through our orientation, the guy said we should access the iPod via the Satellite button on the console.

He said, and I have also found out, that you'll never be able to do anything "on-screen" like doing directly on the iPod itself. In my limited play with it so far, I've been able to select an artist or genre by selecting via the push button option, then scrolling using the large round **** on bottom right of the radio. If you've got A LOT of artists, it takes forever to find one down in the alphabet. Once you've got what you want, then select TEXT on the screen and at least you can get album tracks info, etc.

That's about all I know right now. I'll subscribe to this thread in hopes that we have an "expert" voice an opinion with all the tips and tricks to get the most out of it!
Old 02-23-09, 07:37 PM
613DMax
Driver School Candidate

I got the PA20-TOY from Cruthfield. ($199.99 OUCH!). Pulled the dash apart (dropped one of of the radio screws, crap!) hooked eveything up, finally, which was hassely as the wires for the radio are real short so you have to hover the radio over the shifter to unplug everything.

anyway, got it hooked up, put the radio half in, tested it worked brilliantly. The CD button controlled it, unfortunately as I wanted the Sat button to do it, but whatever. Tested the iPod and the old Sirius radio and worked awesome. So I turned the car off, fully installed the radio (left the two stupid bolts out) and all the dash trim etc. Got our fancy new Sirius receiver set up, hit the CD button and ... nothing. it just played the CDs in the changer. WTF?!?. SO I unplug the USASpec thing and hook it all back up ... nothing. plug the iPod in and nothing, not charging, not doing anything. Pulled the dash apart again (!) and re-checked all the connections etc... no idea what happened. Called Cruthfiled and told them I was sending it back. I am going to get the Vais Technologies SLI instead. I gave up pretty easy on this one, but man that was frustrating. I have the USASpec adaptor in my truck and it works awesome, don't know what happened here.

I spoke to a guy from USASpec and he mentioned that the PA20-TOY needs constant power to it. You plug the PA20-TOY into the back of the radio, but what we figure happens is that the power source cuts off when you turn the car off and 'resets' the PA20-TOY. I didn't bother to check the power source on the back of the radio as I am going with the other system anyway, but you should check that before installing the USASpec. Otherwise you will have to tap into the wire and run it to a hot at all times source.

No idea though as you guys seem to have it working just fine... oh well.
Old 02-23-09, 07:42 PM
613DMax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DonH
I have a 2008 RX400h with GPS Navigation. I installed the PA20-TOY because it's supposed to give some me control of the IPOD through the Nav screen. I installed the adapter but I can only play it as Disc 7 where it plays all the songs or Disc 8 where I can control the IPOD through the click wheel on the device. Has anyone one else magaged to get the PA20-TOY to work right?
Did you try renaming your playlists to TOYOTA1, TOYOTA2 etc? That is how it recognizes your playlists. When I had it working in the lexus, it was working just as it should have. It was actually playing the playlists that I use for my truck (GM2, GM3 & GM4) so maybe it is not picky about the name before the 1, 2, 3 ...

Maybe I will try and hook it up again
Old 03-03-09, 10:21 PM
jeffturner
Driver School Candidate

Good to read