RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bought my first Lexus... never again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 08:29 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that the best thing is to buy from the dealer with a certified warranty.
If not, get the VIN, take it to a dealer and get a service history report. I did that once and discovered the dealer can check the service history regardless of where the car was serviced. At least Benz can.
Old 01-21-09, 09:04 AM
tfischer

Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

Lexus has a same system. They can call up on their computer all services done at any Lexus dealer, which is helpful.
Old 01-21-09, 09:43 AM
malice9999
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Lexus has agreed to cover 50% of the cost for the brake system repair, but they won't do anything for the headlights. Looks like I have a project for this weekend... So, it looks like I'm out $900 and $5 for a tube of silicone. Not the best outcome, but one I can live with.
Old 03-17-09, 07:24 AM
flnsx
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take your RX to a non Lexus dealer in the future. It would cost less than 50% to replace that master brake cylinder.

Last edited by flnsx; 03-17-09 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 07:51 AM
tfischer

That is some good advice. If you have a "break cylinder" instead of the usual brake cylinder, you should expect a lot of repairs to it.
Old 03-19-09, 05:09 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
That is some good advice. If you have a "break cylinder" instead of the usual brake cylinder, you should expect a lot of repairs to it.

LOL!

I was wondering when someone would throw in some humour to lighten the load.

Wow, I've owned my Rx300 for about 6 years and was cruising this forum researching the newer RX330's when I saw this thread.... and must say it is scaring the s-it out of me...

Still want to stay with Jap SUV as an option but the newer version of the RX built in Canada may not be what I was anticipating.

I also own a German Sports sedan and must say (despite not puting the same mileage on it as the RX) it certainly hasn't been any less reliable,

I must add however, that the one major problem I had (transmission) that was out of warranty, Lexus came through with 50% contribution (out of warranty) which was pretty impressive. I'm sure if it was one of the other big three I may not have faired so well.
Old 03-20-09, 01:27 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

I find this entire thread both sad and amusing. Anyone who purchases a used vehicle runs the risk of buying someone else's problems either because the previous owner abused the vehicle or it has build quality issues (every Marque has them - some just more than others). Service History merely shows when it was serviced. It doesn't show that the vehicle has been well cared for (I know people with plenty of 12 month old cars that I certainly would not buy from them as I know how they drive them). The physical look of a vehicle on display in a Stealership is no guarantee of quality either - Dealer's have professional Detailer's that can work wonders to cover up issues.

The moral?

1. Have any vehicle you intend to buy inspected by a reputable Mechanic experienced in your vehicle (have another Lexus Dealership inspect the vehicle from the dealership you are looking to buy from or have an Auto Club inspect it);
2. Insist on a Written Warranty from the Dealer;
3. Know the Used vehicle rules for your State/Country

Even then, none of this means that something won't break a week after you have bought it (that isn't covered by the Warranty) but you have at least minimised the risk.

Otherwise, buy a new car in a price range that you can afford.

When buying used - Caveat Emptor!
Old 03-20-09, 08:02 AM
tfischer

Dave: your comment No. 2 is not realistic, but otherwise your advice is solid (even though an apostrophe converts a noun into a possessive, not into a plural, although things may be different in NSW).
A buyer cannot insist on a written warranty; if a dealer offers it, the buyer will know about it. Of course, a warranty will increase the cost of the car, and warranties from third party sources are available. When buying a used Lexus, if the car meets certain specifications regarding age and miles, then it will be CPO. This will add to the price, but the dealer will spend thousands on the car to make it "certified."
Generally, when buying a used car that is not under a dealer's or manufacturer's warranty (and even if it is), a buyer should always have it inspected by his own mechanic (who will charge a fee, which should be considered a form of insurance).
Used car sales are soaring these days, as sales of new cars plummet 40% and more. Knowing how to buy a used car is important.
Rule 1: inspection.
Old 03-20-09, 10:23 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave: your comment No. 2 is not realistic, but otherwise your advice is solid (even though an apostrophe converts a noun into a possessive, not into a plural, although things may be different in NSW).
A buyer cannot insist on a written warranty; if a dealer offers it, the buyer will know about it. Of course, a warranty will increase the cost of the car, and warranties from third party sources are available. When buying a used Lexus, if the car meets certain specifications regarding age and miles, then it will be CPO. This will add to the price, but the dealer will spend thousands on the car to make it "certified."
Generally, when buying a used car that is not under a dealer's or manufacturer's warranty (and even if it is), a buyer should always have it inspected by his own mechanic (who will charge a fee, which should be considered a form of insurance).
Used car sales are soaring these days, as sales of new cars plummet 40% and more. Knowing how to buy a used car is important.
Rule 1: inspection.
Rule 2: Warranty. Always budget that into your used car purchase...unless you are a mechanic.
Old 03-21-09, 02:14 AM
asdfhello
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And, unless you know a great deal about cars in general, and in the repair department...

I suggest, NOT to buy 'wholesale' or through an auto-broker...

They sell it completely as-is from the auction with no guarantee.

Also suggest the indy repair shop that is reputable for your repairs.
The '50% off' thing is a Stealership way of scaring you with a big number, and then giving you the real number which is still way more than you should be paying.
Old 03-21-09, 05:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by malice9999
Update: Lexus has agreed to cover 50% of the cost for the brake system repair, but they won't do anything for the headlights. Looks like I have a project for this weekend... So, it looks like I'm out $900 and $5 for a tube of silicone. Not the best outcome, but one I can live with.
Check out the DIY I did for the head lamp repair for leak. If you are savvy mechanically, you should be able to fix this issue, if not, good luck.
Old 03-21-09, 06:27 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Talking

A buyer cannot insist on a written warranty; if a dealer offers it, the buyer will know about it. Of course, a warranty will increase the cost of the car, and warranties from third party sources are available.
Sir, I disagree. Insisting on a written warranty is quite realistic.

If they are unwilling to provide one, go elsewhere!

BTW. I will only accept grammar lessons when Americans learn how to spell (there is a U in Harbour and there is no Z in realise)! ;o)
Old 03-21-09, 07:16 AM
tfischer

I will agree that the spelling in NSW is more colourful.
Also, I understand that your automobiles ride on tyres, which is way cool.
Old 03-21-09, 08:23 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day mate, let's put another shrimp on the barbie
Old 03-21-09, 08:34 AM
tfischer

. . . or maybe their cars ryde on tyres.

Quick Reply: Bought my first Lexus... never again.