RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bought my first Lexus... never again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 10:33 PM
malice9999
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought my first Lexus... never again.

Bought a lease return 2006 Lexus RX330 AWD w/Nav & Sport Package two weeks ago with 61700 miles. The vehicle had no accidents and a perfect service history - every 15,000 mile service at a Lexus dealership. The interior was spotless, a real gem... or so I thought. One week after I took delivery, the AFS OFF light started flashing intermittently. The next day, the brake warning light came on. I checked the brake fluid and it was low so I filled it up. A couple of days later, same thing happened.

Brought it to the dealer and turns out the master brake cylinder is leaking ($1700) and the AFS electronics are shorting due to severe moisture in the headlights ($1100 each!!!). I had passed on the extended warranty as I expected better quality from Lexus. Not even sure if that would have covered the headlights. The dealer I bought it from is offering a 3-year extended warranty through Auto Services Co. for $2500 and the Lexus Gold warranty is $3200, which would cover the master cylinder, but not the AFS headlights.

I paid $22000 for it, which I thought was a good deal at the time, but now I wish I could just return the damn thing. What should I do? Help anyone?
Old 01-13-09, 10:49 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

2 Weeks ago? Dont they give you like 30 days FULL coverage on anything that may go wrong? I would be jumping on the Lexus GM desk getting this Covered. Thats BS
Old 01-13-09, 10:59 PM
malice9999
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, I didn't buy it from a Lexus dealer. I bought it through a seemingly reputable "wholesaler" AS-IS.

sigh...
Old 01-14-09, 03:03 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry to hear your woes, especially in this tough economy.

For future reference, when you buy a used car, you should take it to YOUR mechanic and have him check it out. $300 well spent! Failing that, you need AT LEAST a 90 day warranty.

Used cars fall into two categories:
1) a headache someone just unloaded
2) a serviceable vehicle someone who wanted a brand new car just unloaded
I would guess the balance on those would be 50/50%! If it was a lease return in good mechanical shape, it would have been on a Lexus dealer's lot, so warning bells should have been going off.

The good news about Toyota products is that they DO last a very long time. The bad news is that when they do fail, the parts cost is very high. I like them since they seldom fail--I do not have the time to sit around the dealership getting things fixed. I guess if you are a housewife with lots of time on your hands, you could get a low reliability vehicle with a 10 year 100K warranty, and buy some good books to read.
Old 01-14-09, 03:26 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

I have to agree with biff and it would not matter what brand unit it was if it is used it get inspected by a reputable/certified mechanic. Buying from a wholesaler "as is" might have saved you a few bucks at purchase time but in the long run . . . .

Sorry this happened to you but thanks for posting so others may be reminded
Old 01-14-09, 03:39 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't take this as a reflection of Lexus quality.

Personlly, I have found that most ex-lease vehicles are not a good buying proposition. A lot of people "drive them like they stole them" so a service history is only part of the story.

Sorry to hear that you have problems
Old 01-14-09, 05:10 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've owned vehicles and I've leased vehicles. Guess which I took better care of.

If I were looking for a used Lexus I'd first look for a Lexus certified model that was a trade. Since the 2010 RX models are about to hit I suspect there will be a supply of fine one-owner well maintained certified models to choose from.

That said, it sounds like you will have a good vehicle even though the service intervals were on the long side. Every 15K is too long a service interval IMO. I'd have liked to see something closer to half that but I happen to think oil and an oil filter is cheap insurance.
Old 01-14-09, 05:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You bought the car as is, thats why its so cheap. Chalk up the repairs as cost of ownership.
Old 01-14-09, 05:58 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

It looks like that 22 large was too good to be true.
Old 01-14-09, 07:54 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

hey you win some by getting this ride for $8 grand less than it really costs, then you lose some by having to put a bit of money into it. Sounds that you did not have to put a $1300 into new tires and brakes in order to pass inspection, and that's already money saved there. These repairs are not powertrain related, so the dealer won't help.

You don't have to go to Lexus dealer, or for that matter any dealer, to get the work done. I'd encourage you to seek the second opinion and shop around. This will save you $$$, even on labor rates. If I paid for diagnostics I would make sure the mechanic will provide enough explanation and show me the faulty part. Worst case scenario you can try locating the parts from the salvage yard.
G/L
Old 01-14-09, 09:07 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk but $22k seems kinda steep for an rx330 with 62k miles. you can find rx350's close to that price range on cars.com with similar miles. i would have had it inspected first, esp coming from a non-lexus dealership.
Old 01-14-09, 09:19 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

service every 15K miles? uhh the intervals are suppose to be every 5K miles...
Old 01-14-09, 09:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

A rule of thumb on buying cars from a non-dealer....buy cars with left over manufacturer's warranty. Then you can spend the time to make sure all the TSB, issues have been done on the car. If not, get the dealer to perform them. At the same time since the warranty has not expired, you can purchase an extended warranty for a reasonable price. Then you would have protected your initial investment.

Or else buy a CPO. Then headaches are much less. But means more $$ upfront.
Old 01-14-09, 09:37 AM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate to say this but if I were to drop $22K for a car, I would spend the extra $200 and gotte a Dealer Pre Purchase Inspection. Good Luck!
Old 01-14-09, 10:35 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

06 with 61K miles? There was a reason this was sold at auction. It cannot be sold as CPO with those maintenance intervals. You can't just beat the crap out of a car, expect it to be ok, and when it isn't, blame the manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Bought my first Lexus... never again.