RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

DIY Coolant flush?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 05:40 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by username:
Do you know if that is for a complete radiator and engine block flush or just radiator?
That quantity is USUALLY for a complete flush and fill. However, and here is the catch, some engines make it difficult to completely drain the block. For instance, my old Acura Legend has a bolt on the block that allows you to drain all but about one pint of coolant. My 1972 Corvette has two bolts on the sides of the engine that allow you to completely drain it. If you don't drop the bolt on the Acura or Corvette block, you leave at least 3/4 gallon of coolant in the block.

If the Lexus has such a bolt, I haven't seen it. Of course, I haven't looked for it yet but we are getting close. If you only drop the radiator hoses you are draining the radiator and most of the block.

The downside to this is that this old coolant is now recirculating in the block.
Re-read my comments on filling and you can see that my technique takes care of the this problem, ensuring adequate coolant. For those cars that don't have a block plug, or one that is so difficult that I leave it in, I run the engine, without thermostat or radiator hose. I use my garden hose to keep water in the block with the engine running. When the water runs clear I shut off the engine and let the water drain out. Put everything back together and fill.

Btw, adding coolant based on the color may or may not be the best way to determine the best way to choose your coolant. I grew up knowing that antifreeze was green. Period. Now we have H.O.A.T., hybrid Organic Acid Technology, O.A.T., Organic Acid Technology, and the good old "green stuff". So, which is it? Green? Orange? Pink? I have read that even within a category like OAT, there are different formulations. The usual caution is to NOT USE one in a vehicle designed for a different.

Ok, so off the soap box.

Gary
Old 02-12-09, 07:11 AM
username:
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Just remember that the coolant in many states is treated as a hazardous waste. Do not get caught letting it hit the ground without cleaning it up. The coolant is also a poison to animals and humans.
Jeff
Yeah I know, this isn't my first time working on cars, just a Lexus lol. I've done a couple motor swaps and the whole nine, but on Honda's/Acura's.

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
That quantity is USUALLY for a complete flush and fill. However, and here is the catch, some engines make it difficult to completely drain the block. For instance, my old Acura Legend has a bolt on the block that allows you to drain all but about one pint of coolant. My 1972 Corvette has two bolts on the sides of the engine that allow you to completely drain it. If you don't drop the bolt on the Acura or Corvette block, you leave at least 3/4 gallon of coolant in the block.

If the Lexus has such a bolt, I haven't seen it. Of course, I haven't looked for it yet but we are getting close. If you only drop the radiator hoses you are draining the radiator and most of the block.

The downside to this is that this old coolant is now recirculating in the block.
Re-read my comments on filling and you can see that my technique takes care of the this problem, ensuring adequate coolant. For those cars that don't have a block plug, or one that is so difficult that I leave it in, I run the engine, without thermostat or radiator hose. I use my garden hose to keep water in the block with the engine running. When the water runs clear I shut off the engine and let the water drain out. Put everything back together and fill.

Btw, adding coolant based on the color may or may not be the best way to determine the best way to choose your coolant. I grew up knowing that antifreeze was green. Period. Now we have H.O.A.T., hybrid Organic Acid Technology, O.A.T., Organic Acid Technology, and the good old "green stuff". So, which is it? Green? Orange? Pink? I have read that even within a category like OAT, there are different formulations. The usual caution is to NOT USE one in a vehicle designed for a different.

Ok, so off the soap box.

Gary
Yeah, most Honda's/Acuras have freeze plugs on the blocks and you just unbolt them and it will drain the block after running water through it. That's what I did on my old Civic.

I looked at the DIY for the flush but it was for the previous model and it had small engine drain plugs. Now just have to find it on mine.

Oh, I found a guy on a local forum that works at a local Toyota dealership and can get me emplyoee discount on the coolant, said it's around $15.xx + tax. Not bad.

Last edited by username:; 02-12-09 at 07:19 AM.