RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX350. Won't start and won't accept boost. Urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 08:21 PM
bokchoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX350. Won't start and won't accept boost. Urgent!

I'm sorry if this was a repeat topic, but I've tried a search and unable to find someone with the same problem.

My 2008 RX350 would not start this morning. After getting home from work, I tried boosting the car, following the exact directions in the manual just to be safe.

Upon connecting the booster cables as directed, the car's started honking and the lights turned on and off, kinda like the anti-theft alarm. It stopped as soon as I disconnected the booster cables, and I can't start the car.

I'm assuming that this means that the car won't accept the boost. I've looked through the manual to see if there's anything on this, and I couldn't find anything. I'll have another look through as soon as I'm done posting this thread.

FYI, the car was purchased about 10 months ago, and the battery is only as old as the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks in advance. Free beer to anyone who can help me.
Old 01-20-09, 08:25 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You have concierge service, all you need to do is call Lexus. That's the benefit of the Lexus name. Call your dealer or the Lexus 800 number, they will send somebody to fix your car!
Old 01-20-09, 09:30 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

After you connected the booster cables, did you de-activate the alarm with your remote? If not, the car won't start. Try re-connecting the booster cables, as the alarm starts blaring, de-activate it, then crank the engine.
Old 01-20-09, 09:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Send a six pack to mandyfig.

With RX at home, you should use the 800 number. Enjoy the beer and call the number your salesperson gave you (should be 1 of the 4 cards they give you with the owner's manual).

Once the RX is running, figure out what drained the battery... door light etc.

Salim
Old 01-20-09, 10:27 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you guys have an 800 number to call? We don't have that.

Anyway, like the member above said. The alarm was being set off. More than likely your battery went completely dead while your car was locked and armed. When you connected the booster pack, the alarm sounded because it thinks a thief may have disconnected the battery to silence the alarm. All you have to do is disarm the alarm, then start the car. Most OEM and aftermarket alarms will act that way when the battery is disconnected or completely dead because in the old days it was easy to defeat alarm systems simply by disconnecting the battery cable causing the alarm brain to shut down. When the cable was put back, the old alarms were dumb and forgot it was armed and stayed in the disarmed state thus making them useless.
Old 01-21-09, 03:10 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, just push the door open button on the key!

You should figure out why the battery discharged so completely. Did you leave something on, maybe the autoshut off did not work. Is the belt going to the alternator broken. etc.
Old 01-21-09, 09:14 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

if the door was unlocked originally, i dont understand why the alarm would go on?

leave the key in the ignition, then try it again. and yes, you might as well have called lexus while you were waiting for us to reply. free roadside for 4 years
Old 01-21-09, 09:40 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Wow, you guys have an 800 number to call? We don't have that.
You did not know about the free road side assistance and breakdown assistance ... that includes hotel stay if 100 or so miles away from home ...

This is standard Lexus perk of purchasing a Lexus ... other brands say you get these benefits by joining various clubs and the increased differential in Toyota vs Lexus (same family) is not worth it.

Salim
ps: There is a time and or milage limitation. Close to its end, you get a letter asking if you would like to extend it and pay for it annually.
Old 01-21-09, 12:59 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
You did not know about the free road side assistance and breakdown assistance ... that includes hotel stay if 100 or so miles away from home ...

This is standard Lexus perk of purchasing a Lexus ... other brands say you get these benefits by joining various clubs and the increased differential in Toyota vs Lexus (same family) is not worth it.

Salim
ps: There is a time and or milage limitation. Close to its end, you get a letter asking if you would like to extend it and pay for it annually.
I don't think we get that in Hawaii because we are not part of Lexus of Hawaii. We get all our Toyota/Lexus cars through a different importer called Servco. We also get a slightly different MSRP and often slightly different package options.
Old 01-21-09, 01:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
if the door was unlocked originally, i dont understand why the alarm would go on?

leave the key in the ignition, then try it again. and yes, you might as well have called lexus while you were waiting for us to reply. free roadside for 4 years
That would be a question for the OP to clarify if his door was locked or unlocked. My guess is still it was closed and locked when the battery finally died to a point beyond supplying enough current for the car to sustain itself.

Either way, the alarm was preventing him from starting the car since it was going off. At this point, all he needs to do is deactivate it. There is no special AI in the Lexus that knows if a different battery or jumper pack is being used so there should be no reason why jump starting the car with a booster pack or even regular jumper cables shouldn't work. I've done it myself many times as a few times at car shows the battery has drained enough to need a jump.