RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 02:09 PM
bobinbould
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie Questions

Just got a 2008 RX 350 for Xmas and am really happy with it. As with all new toys, however I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of the more experienced owners here can answer. Please excuse me if I'm treading old ground. I searched the archives and didn't find the answers to these questions.

1. Do both the passenger side mirror and driver side mirror tilt equal amounts when the car is in reverse? On my vehicle, one seems to tilt dramatically more than the other. Is this normal, or do I need to schedule my first service call?

2. Turning left on a dark road, the headlights noticeably follow the road, however, turning to the right, there is very little noticeable shift. Do these need adjusting as well?

3. I understand that the "throw" of the headlights can be adjusted by the owner, but most articles have said here that you'll just end up screwing them up completely. Any thoughts on this as well?

Thanks Everyone in advance for your answers. I'm looking forward to participating in this forum on a regular basis.

Bob
Old 01-21-09, 02:54 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlight tilting for me is different on each side. ( I have the GX) Since one is farther away from you I would assume it is only practical to adjust each one differently. But the difference for me is not dramatic at all. I'm not sure about the RX though.
Old 01-21-09, 03:59 PM
bobinbould
Driver School Candidate

BTW... anyone have their Radar Detector randomly go off when shifting into reverse? This seems to happen to me about one in five times with no discernible pattern and no way for me to do it intentionally. Any clue what is going on with this?
Old 01-21-09, 04:22 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

The mirrors seem to move the same to me, could be the passenger side looks different because it is a wide angle mirror. The headlights do move more to the left than right by design its in the owners manual. I haven't tried to adjust the headlights so I'm not sure. The radar detector might be picking up some RF interference from the back up camera or if you have parking sensors that would do it.
Jeff
Old 01-21-09, 04:33 PM
Arbitrage1
Driver

Originally Posted by bobinbould
1. Do both the passenger side mirror and driver side mirror tilt equal amounts when the car is in reverse? On my vehicle, one seems to tilt dramatically more than the other. Is this normal, or do I need to schedule my first service call?

Bob
I'd have to go out side to check for sure, but my understanding is that only one mirror goes down at a time. The one for which your mirror adjustment control is set on.

The little switch above the mirror adjustment...****...that controls which mirror you are adjusting, if you have that set to the right mirror, then the right mirror turns down when you go into reverse. If you have it set on the left mirror, then the left turns down, and if you have it set in the middle, neither mirror turns down.
Old 01-21-09, 07:48 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You should schedule a first visit and see if you will be happy with your dealer...make your list in advance....good luck.
Old 01-23-09, 12:36 PM
Occam
Driver School Candidate

I'd have to go out side to check for sure, but my understanding is that only one mirror goes down at a time. The one for which your mirror adjustment control is set on.
Must be different on the '09. The '05 settings are middle = both mirrors move down, left/right = no mirrors go down.

And they both move down equally for me. Maybe there's a (new?) setting to customize that?
Old 01-23-09, 06:41 PM
Arbitrage1
Driver

Originally Posted by bobinbould

Bob
I stand corrected. This is exactly how the mirrors on ours work.
Old 01-23-09, 07:10 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked on my 08, in the middle neither move. Either left or right position they both move and the curb side does move more than the street side.
Jeff
Old 01-23-09, 07:26 PM
Arbitrage1
Driver

Originally Posted by jgr7
I just checked on my 08, in the middle neither move. Either left or right position they both move and the curb side does move more than the street side.
Jeff
Its kind of a cool feature to be able to decide which one moves down. Ive actually parked on a one way street with the drivers side against the curb and found it useful.
Old 01-23-09, 10:30 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Arbitrage1
Its kind of a cool feature to be able to decide which one moves down. Ive actually parked on a one way street with the drivers side against the curb and found it useful.
It doesn't matter which side the switch is on the mirrors both move at the same time, the passenger side just moves down more. The only time they don't move is when the switch is in the middle.
Old 01-24-09, 06:23 AM
LEP XEP
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have '07 and my passenger side move down more than the driver side. Is it because your setting while driving is different on each side? That is what I thought when I notice on mine.
Old 01-24-09, 08:08 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

For the inquiring mind ...

Any physicist out there ... do the two motors (for left and right) move different amount or they move the same amount but due to driver-position-mirror-angle the image moves more?

Is the difference design feature or beneficial artifact of the design. [did Lexus design it or it came for free]

Salim
Old 01-24-09, 11:23 AM
bobinbould
Driver School Candidate

*gulp* I hate to say it, but I am a physicist.... although it's been a while since I've smashed any atoms.... In any case... I checked with the dealership, and the difference in the angle of mirror movement is, indeed, intentional. The rational given to me by the service dept, was that the passenger side mirror tilts more so that one can see the curb while parallel parking. The driver's side mirror tilts less, ostensibly to see traffic behind the vehicle.

This, of course, does thing to address why my radar detector goes off randomly when I put the vehicle in reverse, but that may just have to remain a mystery for now.
Old 01-24-09, 02:07 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

The passenger side does move more as it is still moving when the drivers side stops.
Jeff

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions