RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

5,000 mile oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 07:41 PM
arima
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5,000 mile oil change

I have 2,200 miles on my 09RX, the car is about 4months old. i probably wont hit 5,000 miles at this rate for another few months, should i wait until i have 5,000 miles or bring it in sooner? thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-09, 07:49 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

6 months would be about the longest i would go between an oil change, especially if the car is still being broken in.
Old 01-24-09, 11:23 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I'd wait till you get to 5000 miles or close to it. If it was taking you this long because you are taking many very short trips that the engine never gets to burn off the contaminants in the oil than you should switch to a 3000 mile schedule.
Jeff
Old 01-24-09, 11:44 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't change the factory fill early because it has higher than normal amount of moly during engine break in.
This is one of the many cases that changing the oil too soon increase engine wear.
Old 01-26-09, 06:13 PM
arima
Rookie

so i should keep the original oil in the car until 5000? even though it might take 7-8 months or so.
Old 01-26-09, 06:46 PM
Tom H
Rookie

There are so many different theories and opinions about oil changes that it will make your head spin trying to decide what, or who is rite. What I do is just follow the manufacturers instructions in the manual. Change the oil at 5000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. Why risk giving Lexus and easy out if a warranty situation come up with your engine. They can say the problem is that you didn't follow the service requirements. Oil is cheap insurance.
Old 01-26-09, 07:49 PM
arima
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom H
There are so many different theories and opinions about oil changes that it will make your head spin trying to decide what, or who is rite. What I do is just follow the manufacturers instructions in the manual. Change the oil at 5000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. Why risk giving Lexus and easy out if a warranty situation come up with your engine. They can say the problem is that you didn't follow the service requirements. Oil is cheap insurance.
i get that for future oil changes, but I'm concerned about the first oil change my car only has 2,200miles. I've had the car for about 5 months. i hear the original oil has a special blend of something, so should i keep it in the car for a full 5k even if it takes 7-8 months. thanks
Old 01-27-09, 06:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It has never been proven that Lexus use a break in oil, Acura on the other hand does use a break in oil.
Old 01-27-09, 11:50 AM
Tom H
Rookie

Originally Posted by arima
i get that for future oil changes, but I'm concerned about the first oil change my car only has 2,200miles. I've had the car for about 5 months. i hear the original oil has a special blend of something, so should i keep it in the car for a full 5k even if it takes 7-8 months. thanks
Well, here is my situation. I bought my 08' RX near the beginning of August, 2007. I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles anyway but in this case I was hospitalized with a severe heart ailment from Jan through June of 2008. As a result the RX wasn't driven much at all. While in the hospital at the 1st 6 month interval (January 08) I had my wife take it in for the 5000 or 6 month service. She called Lexus first and they said servicing and changing the oil was the correct thing to do because we had hit the 6 month mark. At that point in time it had less than 2000 miles on it. After an additional 6 month period (June 08) she took the car in for it's 10,000 mile service. Again, Lexus said it was the proper thing to do. Today I have only just clocked 5,260 miles on the car and it is 1 1/2 years old. I do feel more confidant in having the oil changed and I have the Lexus service records (database) to validate the service.

I think if break-in oil was a concern to Lexus they would go far out of their way to insist we wait until the full 5000 mile are logged. They specifically say 6 months or 5000 miles, which ever comes first. However, if in doubt, call your nearest dealer and ask for their opinion.
Old 01-27-09, 12:41 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I, like you do not put on a lot of miles on my 2008 RX. I finally went in when I had around 4400 miles on it. My 10,000 mile check up was due Dec. 17, 2008. I have around 7600 miles on it. My Lexus dealer said just wait until I had close to 10K to bring it in. Thats what I'm going to do.
Old 01-27-09, 01:27 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
It has never been proven that Lexus use a break in oil, Acura on the other hand does use a break in oil.
This Used Oil Analysis from a Toyota factory filled Scion has extremely high amount of Molybdenum. This is an indepedent lab report posted by the end user. For those who believe in science, there are plenty UOAs that proves Toyota has used break-in oil. Discussion thread

UOA is not a subjective opinion, it is objective, scientific proof from independent users from indepedent labs, reporting spectro-analysis of the oil contain.
Old 01-27-09, 01:31 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

so i should keep the original oil in the car until 5000? even though it might take 7-8 months or so.
Yes, Lexus dealership does not know oil. It will make service managers head spin and all they can do is pull out what is the user manual "it is six months and one day, the oil must be drained or you will void your warranty! BTW, where did you learn all that (informative, useful, and scientific) oil stuff?"

Previously I linked to a UOA to a 4 cylinder sedan, here is a Toyota V8 truck. Different car, different owner, same factory fill, similiar report. Tundra Thread

Last edited by TunedRX300; 01-27-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 02:32 PM
arima
Rookie

thanks for all the great responses, I guess i should wait it out as long as i can.
Old 01-28-09, 08:41 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the great responses, I guess i should wait it out as long as i can.
Well, call me the contrarian. I would NOT wait beyond six months, regardless of mileage. Call it cheap engine insurance if you will. Engines produce byproducts that can make acid if the oil is allowed to sit in the oil pan, with any residual moisture. As an example, I have a classic Corvette that on a bad year might get driven 1000 miles. The oil does get changed at the end of the fall, regardless of the mileage.
Old 01-28-09, 09:32 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Every oil has acid neutralization additives, UOA will show Total Base Number if one pays for it at the lab (or go to a lab that include it for standard testing). It is when the additives are depleted (TBN < 1) that oil needs to be changed.

Here is a Toyota Yaris 1100 miles on factory fill, TBN is still 3.1 and no need to drain. Notice Moly is also high.

Changing oil sooner than needed is throwing $ out of the window. Even recycled, 3.5 quarts out of 5 quarts are not converted into recycled oil. In another word, most used oil get dumped into wasteland, ocean or burned in the air. Something to think about in today's environmental awareness age.

Of course, no every one test oil or test it every time. However, if Toyota factory fill has a special brew with extra moly, why not use it when there are clearly enough acid neutralization additive left for an engine that is gently driven for 2200 miles?

Those good old practice or rule of thumb needs to change. Heck, we are discussing cars on the Internet, 20 years ago folks will laugh at us, "you got your information from someone whom you never see or talk to?"

Last edited by TunedRX300; 01-28-09 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 5,000 mile oil change