RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Nav System - Detail Displayed on Maps

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 05:02 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav System - Detail Displayed on Maps

Our prior experience with GPS systems, prior to buying our 2009 RX350 last month, was with full featured Garmin 2600 and 2700 series Streetpilots. Unfortunately, the experience with these outstanding units, has led us to expect much more features and usability than the much more expensive integrated Lexus system provides. The Lexus system certainly has some outstanding features that the Garmin cannot or does not provide. But, in the whole, the Lexus system sucks compared to the Garmin. That is probably why we now have a Garmin 2730 sitting on the dash above the Lexus Nav system. Now that I vented for pissing away $2600, let me ask my question.

Unless the Lexus Nav unit is zoomed well in to show only the immediate current location, it does not show any of the local streets or roads. The Garmin, on the other hand, with a much smaller screen, effectively displays the local streets and roads when zoomed to show a much larger area.

I looked in every available menu for an option to define how much detail is displayed units but have found nothing. Is there something I am missing or is there a way of having the Lexus system display local streets and roads at farther zoom settings than it does now. I suspect the answer is no but I have to ask.
Old 01-25-09, 06:18 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way that I know of to get the NAV display to show more street names when zoomed out. I agree that it's frustrating since even my old Garmin 2610 did this.

However, I think, in general, no NAV system will ever be able to fully compete with the features that are available in any standalone dedicated GPS unit.
Old 01-26-09, 06:06 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

You can split the screen to show an overall view on 1/2 and a very close up view on the other 1/2. I find this very useful; lets me see the general area while simultaneously seeing the roads nearby.
Old 01-26-09, 06:02 PM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mind-boggling!

It's ridiculous that a relatively inexpensive Garmin the size of a pack of cigarettes is superior to the Lexus $2000 GPS. I can confirm this is the case and it's the reason why my Nuvi 350 sits above my Lexus navi when I go on trips. It's not just Lexus, the same is true regarding my Acura navi. Hard to believe but true. The OEMs should be embarrassed by what they sell in terms of navigation. Why don't they get their units from the industry leaders? All I can say is that the OEM navi helps with resale value and the most basic navigation needs.
Old 01-27-09, 08:11 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

No idea about the Honda package, but for the Lexus you get much more than just the navigation stuff. You get a back-up camera and Bluetooth connectivity for your cell phone as well along with touch screen controls. Navi is just part of the package.
Old 01-27-09, 11:40 AM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JasDmw
No idea about the Honda package, but for the Lexus you get much more than just the navigation stuff. You get a back-up camera and Bluetooth connectivity for your cell phone as well along with touch screen controls. Navi is just part of the package.
Other than back-up camera, I get all that plus iPod connectivity, and a whole lot more with my Garmin 660. Now, lets see, doing the math, a Garmin 660 was just under $300, and the nav on the RX was just over $2k - what would you say is wrong with this picture?
Old 01-27-09, 12:18 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

I have not heard about software upgrade cost of the integrated system. I guess that hurt has yet to come.

On the plus side, vandalism/theft is lower in integrated + seamless look.
I think the sat lock loss for brief time (tunnels + high-risers all around) is not severe in integrated [not sure but it should be capable of reading wheel rotation and with compass figure out where it is]. Muting of audio + injection of nav sound is another plus for integrated.

Keep in mind what car/suv you select is not predominantly based on the nav, while which unit Garmin/Megallin etc you pick will be based on the quality-features of the Nav.

Salim
Old 01-27-09, 03:47 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Keep in mind what car/suv you select is not predominantly based on the nav, while which unit Garmin/Megallin etc you pick will be based on the quality-features of the Nav.
Salim
In my opinion your are correct; the Nav system did not influence the car we decided to buy. But, and this is a very big but, it is reasonable and natural to assume that the Lexus navigation system would be a first rate system. Lexus is acknowledged to be a top tier luxury vehicle with very well executed products. Also, the cost of the Lexus system is very significant ($2600 MSRP). As a result, my expectation is for the system to outperform something like a Garmin, certainly not under perform it. There is nothing logical to justify why Garmin can market such an outstanding product in such a small package for just a few hundred dollars but Lexus, with the huge potential of the much larger screen, markets such a lame product.

In other words, you buy a Lexus, spend a lot of money, and have certain expectations. These expectations are reasonable because for the most part, Lexus does an outstanding job. The navigation system is a major accessory that is very expensive but falls well short of everything else that we have learned to expect from Lexus. Lexus then pours gasoline on the fire by intentionally crippling the dam thing so it artificially loses much of the functionality that it does have.

This explains why I feel so much animosity towards Lexus every time I look at our Garmin Street Pilot 2730 sitting on the dash just above the $2600 piece of crap that Lexus sold me.
Old 01-27-09, 04:15 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

It sounds like YOU made the wrong choice is ordering and paying for the NAV on your Lexus.

I like mine and would rather have it than a dash top unit like the Garmin.

I would not even want detailed street level info when zoomed out. When I do want it, I zoom in.
Old 01-27-09, 05:21 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

RhoXs, I understand the let down and I may forgo the built in Nav, but then there are other customers who may find the Lexus offering as acceptable.

My post here is not to exonerate Lexus, but vehicle manufacturer get locked in and then it becomes hard to separate, while independent companies can transform and excel. If you look at Garmin, how quickly they start new models and abandon them (I hear 7xx will soon be discontinued).

The other problem is the difference in # of units sold and that prevents the cost to be driven down.

The last item I want to draw attention to, is the multifunction use .. the interoperability can impose limitations.

Salim
Old 01-28-09, 05:07 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

My wife would not use the stand alone TomTom I have but she will use the built in Nav. I think that is enough for me.
Jeff
Old 01-28-09, 09:49 AM
Chazzman
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a used ‘05 RX330 last weekend and I couldn’t agree more. I have the bottom end Garmin (less than $100) and I like it far better than the integrated Lexus Nav. I am trying my hardest to get used to the Lexus unit and not put the Garmin on my windshield but it’s hard. I’m sure I will get endless grief if a buddy gets in my car and sees a $100 Garmin sitting above a $2500 Nav system.

We need to understand that Garmin and their competitors are in the GPS business. They work to improve, streamline, and simplify their units everyday. To expect that a carmaker will have an equally elegant system is unreasonable. Same goes for audio – can’t expect Lexus to make something as good as a dedicated stereo, speaker, or amp manufacturer would make. I’m not letting Lexus off the hook, but I have definitely lessened my expectations of them and other carmakers when it comes to offering accessories.

Another point to make is that affordable GPS units are a recent phenomenon. Until recently, the only GPS units people ever experienced were integrated in their cars. Now that more people can afford them, they will realize that the integrated units are junk. In time they will stop ordering them as original equipment and ultimately push automakers to use better technology.
Old 01-28-09, 09:56 AM
MagicMike
Driver School Candidate

I also have an RX330 from 2005, and a Garmin from 2007. No comparison.
I'm wondering if I update the Nav system, will it be any better?

Have they improved it in the last 4 years?
The update is around the price of a new Garmin....

Finally, any help in updating the system? Can I buy a used or 'burned' DVD, or does it have to be an original? What are the pros and cons to updating the Nav system? Has anyone done it with this model?

Thank you,
Mike
Old 01-28-09, 10:30 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Better Navigtion with real time traffic and map updates

In dash navigation should be skipped because there are better alternatives for much cheaper price.

Instead of unconnected in-dash unit or Personal Navigation Device, smartphone based navigation service from Verizon, AT&T or Sprint Nextel are just better value for the $.
  • Connectivity: in dash unit and dedicated PND are not wirelessly connected, smartphones are
  • Realtime traffic: included in the services for smartphones, in dash/PND need pay extra subscription
  • Map updates: real time digital maps and POI updates are included with smartphone services. In dash need to buy DVD, PND needs to buy updated map in memory cards.
  • Service Cost: VZ Navigator, AT&T/Sprint Navigator cost $10 a month, but that service is per family, not per car. AndNav2 on Google G1 is free with voice guided turn by turn. most smartphone users use flat rate all you can eat data plan for email and web surfing. There is no additional wireless data charge for navigational service alone.
  • Device Cost: $150-$200 is subsidized by Verizon/AT&T/Sprint with 2 year contracts, smartphones are also used for communication and enterntainment purposes. We know how much for in-dashs and PNDs, and they can not be used for anything else.
  • Pedetrian: included in smartphone services, not possible for in dash and PND because they need to be plugged in to have power.

Take a look at this impressive video on OpenStreetMap, a community sourced digital map (similiar to Wikipedia) that is used by AndNav2.
http://vimeo.com/2598878

Last edited by TunedRX300; 01-28-09 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-28-09, 12:20 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chazzman
I just bought a used ‘05 RX330 <snip>

To expect that a carmaker will have an equally elegant system is unreasonable. <snip> .
Gotta humbly and politely disagree with you. The cheap tin can called the Suzuki has a pop up nav, and it's a Garmin nuvi, I believe a 205 or some such. It's integrated into the car system. If Suzuki is able to make this standard, as they advertise, why then cannot Lexus, with the Toyota buying power behind them, offer a semblance of such a system instead of the awkward, and expensive Nav/Control that is in the RX's? I can update my Garmin through their web site for a nominal fee, whereas the RX Nav requires you to buy a rather expensive disc. Please don't misunderstand, we love both our RX and our IS, but, Lexus didn't do us any favors with the Nav/Control system.

Quick Reply: Nav System - Detail Displayed on Maps