RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Toyota Venza and the RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 06:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Toyota Venza and the RX 350

A cheaper RX 350?
Same suspension and AWD system?
The luxury option list is basically the same as the new RX at maybe a $10K savings.
Old 02-16-09, 06:13 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Venza is a car, RX is an SUV.
Old 02-16-09, 06:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex
Venza is a car, RX is an SUV.
The RX is based on a Camry chassis.A car chassis.It's a crossover.
A GX is an SUV.

"The Lexus RX was one of the first sedan-based, luxury utility vehicles, and it remains one of the best. This crossover is impressively smooth, comfortable, responsive in all driving situations and flexible when it comes to hauling people or cargo."

"The vehicle was partly based on the Camry platform. ... [13] The basic chassis is shared with the Highlander"

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-16-09 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-16-09, 02:46 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A cheaper RX 350?
Same suspension and AWD system?
The luxury option list is basically the same as the new RX at maybe a $10K savings.
You must check one out in person to see what the Venza has - comparing the two on paper is not easy to do. I was cross-shopping between Venza and the '10 RX350 recently.

I checked out the Venza in detail the other day and found that the interior quality is much below the RX. In fact, I am willing to say that the interior quality is inferior even to past Toyota products - the leather is real in only a few places, in most other places its just vinyl (and poor quality vinyl at that). The fake wood trim is nothing to write home about either and the plastics didn't have that Toyota fit and finish I expected. My old 2005 Camry had better quality leather and construction than the new Venza. And all this on a $36K car - yikes! (it was equiped with the panoramic roof like the UL package on the ES350)

I know looks are subjective, but cannot appreciate the front grill. My wife thinks it belongs on a truck. So a $10K difference is justifiable to me, getting higher quality backed by a longer warranty is a winner to me.
Old 02-16-09, 03:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
You must check one out in person to see what the Venza has - comparing the two on paper is not easy to do. I was cross-shopping between Venza and the '10 RX350 recently.

I checked out the Venza in detail the other day and found that the interior quality is much below the RX. In fact, I am willing to say that the interior quality is inferior even to past Toyota products - the leather is real in only a few places, in most other places its just vinyl (and poor quality vinyl at that). The fake wood trim is nothing to write home about either and the plastics didn't have that Toyota fit and finish I expected. My old 2005 Camry had better quality leather and construction than the new Venza. And all this on a $36K car - yikes! (it was equiped with the panoramic roof like the UL package on the ES350)

I know looks are subjective, but cannot appreciate the front grill. My wife thinks it belongs on a truck. So a $10K difference is justifiable to me, getting higher quality backed by a longer warranty is a winner to me.
I haven't seen a Venza,just the pics.
The interior design looked very nice.
Sounds like the $10K is worth the difference.
Old 02-16-09, 05:31 PM
tshelly
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read my post here on the Venza vs the RX 350: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...-rx-350-a.html
Old 02-16-09, 06:23 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are not going to shoot themselves in the foot by making Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti, respectively, quality the same or else how are they going to command the higher price point of their highend vehicles?

In terms of additional cost in the "name" of the luxury makes, I would say after factoring in the higher quality, better features, etc. you're paying maybe $2-3K for the "name."
Old 02-17-09, 08:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are not going to shoot themselves in the foot by making Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti, respectively, quality the same or else how are they going to command the higher price point of their highend vehicles?

In terms of additional cost in the "name" of the luxury makes, I would say after factoring in the higher quality, better features, etc. you're paying maybe $2-3K for the "name."
Have you seen the interior of the new Maxima, it looks every bit as nice as the G series.
Old 01-18-11, 12:09 PM
boog
Driver School Candidate

LOL... funny that you even brought up the Venza in your Lexus forum! It surely has made for a robust discussion!

Last edited by boog; 01-22-11 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 01:47 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you test drive the new RX and compare the two? I mean one post and you do it to argue your love for your new Venza? I can't see how the interior of a new 2010 lexus Rx 350 would be matched at all by the new Venza. It's just not possible that Toyota was not extremely thoughtful on the levels of price/quality here. I commend you on finding this thread out of nowhere or coming onto a lexus forum to bring some competition of some sort.

I have seen the Venza at the dealership and on the road. they look like a mini Rx or an Rx little sister. But not as nice. Of course THAT is subjective.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-21-11 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 02:45 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 417 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by boog
To 07LexusGuy, you stated that you "Checked out the Venza in detail the other day and found that the interior quality is much below the RX..." If you believe that paying $10,000 more for a Lexus is justifiable, then good for you. I have a new '10 Venza, and is absolutely the most comfortable, quietest and highest quality vehicle I have ever owned, and it looks beatiful, inside and out. The seats are cloth but are extremely comfortable and are of a very high quality. I have been driving since the early 70's, so I have had a good variety of vehicles since then. My Venza does not have the panaramic moonroof, it does not have leather, nor does it have the V6. But I am getting excellent gas mileage when gas prices are skyrocketing, better than your V6, and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. To me, I would be throwing away $10,000 on either a loaded Venza or an RX such as you have. I still get to where I want to go, the same as you do, but have kept the extra $10,000 in my bank account.
Your Venza works for you, that's what it is all about. Some folks love their RX. Everybody happy. Congrats on the 2010 Venza. After all, the 2 cars are Toyota's.
Old 01-18-11, 02:55 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
^^^ Where did you come from? Hehe did you even test drive the new RX and compare the two? I mean one post and you do it to argue your love for your new Venza? I can't see how the interior of a new 2010 lexus Rx 350 would be matched at all by the new Venza. It's just not possible that Toyota was not extremely thoughtful on the levels of price/quality here. I commend you on finding this thread out of nowhere or coming onto a lexus forum to bring some competition of some sort.

I have seen the Venza at the dealership and on the road. they look like a mini Rx or an Rx little sister. But not as nice. Of course THAT is subjective.
x2, where in the world did he come from... cough cough *troll alert * cough cough....

I can't really comment on this thread, as I haven't driven the Venza, only my brothers RX450h, which is essentially an RX350...
I've SAT IN a Venza, and have been DRIVEN AROUND IN IT, and it rides identically to the 450h but not as smooth, and it's a bit stiffer (it had the 19's). The interior may look nice on the Venza, but as stated before the leather isn't real in most places, besides that though I think Toyota did a nice job, and saved the goodies for the Lexus.

Last edited by hypervish; 01-18-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 02:59 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Originally Posted by boog
To 07LexusGuy, you stated that you "Checked out the Venza in detail the other day and found that the interior quality is much below the RX..." If you believe that paying $10,000 more for a Lexus is justifiable, then good for you. I have a new '10 Venza, and is absolutely the most comfortable, quietest and highest quality vehicle I have ever owned, and it looks beatiful, inside and out. The seats are cloth but are extremely comfortable and are of a very high quality. I have been driving since the early 70's, so I have had a good variety of vehicles since then. My Venza does not have the panaramic moonroof, it does not have leather, nor does it have the V6. But I am getting excellent gas mileage when gas prices are skyrocketing, better than your V6, and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. To me, I would be throwing away $10,000 on either a loaded Venza or an RX such as you have. I still get to where I want to go, the same as you do, but have kept the extra $10,000 in my bank account.
The logic that you get where you want to go and have an extra $10K is logic that is still badly flawed. By that same argument you could live in a lovely home and I argue that I have $200K in the bank because I live in a tent, or a cave, or a hole in the ground. And the guy that is driving the junkiest piece of crap that he's able to keep on the road as cheaply as possible would have us both beat by saying he gets where he wants to go and has an extra $20K or $30K or whatever in the bank.

Clearly EVERYONE makes choices based not only on what they can afford but also on perceived value. You see value in your choice while those with Lexus would recognize that with care their leather interiors will far outlast your cloth no matter how lovely it is right now being new. That is just one example.

Ideally everyone finds the vehicle they want for the price they want to pay... ultimately though I think most everyone makes compromises somewhere. Perhaps many Lexus drivers would be driving cars that were $100K and up if that were a real option for them, for example. Just as you might be driving a Lexus if it were priced - $2K more than your Venza...rather than $10K. You just didn't see the value difference and clearly others do and will.
Old 01-18-11, 05:22 PM
ripster
Rookie

Catchy look the venza, but after riding in several Lexus, I opted for a CPO with 100k warranty for 10k less, probably more than a similar equipment Venza. I have never relaxed more driviing then in the RX. Meets all my requirements.
Old 01-19-11, 12:16 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 247 Likes on 171 Posts

I had the opportunity to have a ride around in a Venza for an afternoon when a realtor was showing us houses. His was the top of the line, every option, apparently. Was quite nice around the city, but could not get past the fit/finsh and materials quality of the interior. No comparrison to our RX. Even the Wife commented from the back seat. Just not the same league at all, which others above have pointed out makes sense. If they were on par, they'd likely have a hard time selling RX's. The touch points, surface quality and overall quality sense was just not there. May compare well with the likes of Edge or Acadia, etc., bur haven't been in one of those for a while either.

Quick Reply: Toyota Venza and the RX 350