RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

what kind of transmission service I should do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 08:36 PM
runningox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of transmission service I should do?

I recently purchased a 2004 RX330 with 65k miles on it. Since I have no idea with when the previous owner did transmission service, I decide to do it before the powertrain warranty expired. Right now 68xxx miles on it. So the work need to be done as soon as possible. The current color of transmission fluid is light red with normal smell. I am very concerned with what kind of transmission service I should go(Drain and refill or complete fluid replacement?). Sometimes the transmission service will make it go bad. My transmission is in a good condition now, I don't want to mess it up. So any suggetion for me is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-09, 06:27 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The Lexus powertrain warranty expires at 72 months or 70,000 miles whichever comes first. You will lose your warranty in a couple thousand miles no matter what you do. Changing the transmission fluid is a good thing to do at the recommended (60k) interval. There are several other fluids that need to be replaced based on a mileage or time schedule.

As to what service was performed, if the previous work was done by a Lexus dealer you can ask a dealer for a printout of the service history the vehicle has had. You might also ask for the TSIB's that were applied.
Old 02-19-09, 07:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If your tranny fluid is light red and smells normal, I would just do a drain and fill. Sometimes a tranny flush can do more harm than good.
Old 02-19-09, 11:28 AM
runningox
Driver School Candidate

I know if I do transmission service improperly, it will be harm to my transmission even make it broken. Just in case of that, I want to finish this work before warranty expired. Do you think a thousand miles is not enough for showing some symptome?

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The Lexus powertrain warranty expires at 72 months or 70,000 miles whichever comes first. You will lose your warranty in a couple thousand miles no matter what you do. Changing the transmission fluid is a good thing to do at the recommended (60k) interval. There are several other fluids that need to be replaced based on a mileage or time schedule.

As to what service was performed, if the previous work was done by a Lexus dealer you can ask a dealer for a printout of the service history the vehicle has had. You might also ask for the TSIB's that were applied.
Old 02-19-09, 11:32 AM
runningox
Driver School Candidate

There is an argument, drain and fill waste your money and time. How do you think? Is that complete fluid replacement and new filter, new gasket same with transmission flush?

Originally Posted by The G Man
If your tranny fluid is light red and smells normal, I would just do a drain and fill. Sometimes a tranny flush can do more harm than good.
Old 02-19-09, 12:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

May be this will help:

Drain and fill replaces a portion of the trans fluid and essentially removes the gravity held fluid + contaminant out of the pan/sump.

By repeated drain and fill, you can increase the % of new fluid vs old.

Flush can be extensive (with detergents and external pumps) or less invasive with transmission pump but you can run the system dry.

Go with what you are comfortable with. There is a group of folks who have never had a problem, and then there is at least 2 who had problem right after transmission service.

Salim
Old 02-20-09, 06:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by runningox
There is an argument, drain and fill waste your money and time. How do you think? Is that complete fluid replacement and new filter, new gasket same with transmission flush?
It really depends on how the previous owner use the vehicle, does he or she tow or run the tranny hard? If the tranny fluid is in good condition, either he took it easy on the vehicle or he change the tranny fluid already. Try to look up the vehicle's maintenance record to see if tranny fluid have been change or not. A tanny that was not use for towing or ran hot should not need a flush at 60K miles, usually maybe a fluid replacemnet or two will do.
Old 02-20-09, 06:23 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Please explain?

Originally Posted by The G Man
How can a tranny flush do harm? Of course, it has to be right but all work if done wrong can do harm so if done right what would be harmfull??
Old 02-20-09, 09:22 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Flush can dislodge [the basic premise is that you dislodge the particles and take them out] particles and they can get lodged/trapped in a critical channel.

So if the intent is to make the fluid more fresh, I would suggest multiple drain and fill [will be cheaper and lost easier].

Salim
Old 02-20-09, 12:29 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Flush out the whole system & replace with a good synthetic is the best way to go. I did it at aprox. 40K & had almost 70K before we bought our "09 RX. Have had flushs done on many vehicles & never a problem & by putting in synthetic tranny fluid have increased the trannys preformance.