RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

FM Transmitter and FM Radio? or MP3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 10:15 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FM Transmitter and FM Radio? or MP3 ?

I have a Zune and I got a Zune FM transmitter, but it kind of sucks because I am getting bad reception on the Rx does anyone have any ideas?

I also have conflicting information some say the FM antenna is rear glass mounted while others are saying it the antenna on the roof. I have 30 days to return the Zune and its car transmitter.

Does anyone have a MP3 player and transimtter that works well with the Lexus RX 2004 no nav?

I considered an iPod adapter, but my dealer wants $500 for it. I think that is excessive! And I am afraid to go aftermarket since my CD player gives me an Error 4 once in awhile and I am still trying to get Lexus to replace it under warranty.

My last option is an after market radio with GPS builtin, but going to bestbuy.com and sorting it by car, non fit the RX.
Old 03-03-09, 01:35 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by triplecore
I have a Zune and I got a Zune FM transmitter, but it kind of sucks because I am getting bad reception on the Rx does anyone have any ideas?

I also have conflicting information some say the FM antenna is rear glass mounted while others are saying it the antenna on the roof. I have 30 days to return the Zune and its car transmitter.

Does anyone have a MP3 player and transimtter that works well with the Lexus RX 2004 no nav?

I considered an iPod adapter, but my dealer wants $500 for it. I think that is excessive! And I am afraid to go aftermarket since my CD player gives me an Error 4 once in awhile and I am still trying to get Lexus to replace it under warranty.

My last option is an after market radio with GPS builtin, but going to bestbuy.com and sorting it by car, non fit the RX.
How about the cassette adapter?
Basically the sound quality is similar to FM.
The only disadvantage would be the cassette and the wire sticking out into your Zune.
Old 03-03-09, 01:58 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meowmix52
How about the cassette adapter?
Basically the sound quality is similar to FM.
The only disadvantage would be the cassette and the wire sticking out into your Zune.
My casset player squeaks which is why I stooped using the tape.
Old 03-03-09, 03:42 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cassette adapter is the low tech way to go but if you player is noisy then I'd think about an aftermarket mp3 adapter like vais. There are threads about that and how to install it like https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-04-07-rx.html

You'll get different opinions on any FM transmitter, zune or otherwise. Hardcore folks tend to think the sound isn't good enough. Others, me included, think it's fine given the RX acoustics, so long as you can get a clear signal. For any of them to work you have to find a space on the FM band where there is no station signal. Strong signals on a nearby frequency also can be a problem. We had enough difficulty keeping a clear signal and drive in a range where stations come in and out that we went for the vais kit. There should be on to fit your 04, if it works with Zune. I don't know if they are ipod only or not. worth a look. vais.com
Old 03-03-09, 04:50 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by triplecore

I have a FM transmitter for my iPod and it works well with my radio. Now I just burn my MP3s directly onto a CD (One CD can fit about a hundred songs).

Have you tried setting to a frequency with little distortion, ie not a frequency with a radio station already broadcasting on? There is an antenna on the back sticking out, which is the radio antenna.
Old 03-09-09, 04:41 PM
tjain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meowmix52
I have a FM transmitter for my iPod and it works well with my radio. Now I just burn my MP3s directly onto a CD (One CD can fit about a hundred songs).

Have you tried setting to a frequency with little distortion, ie not a frequency with a radio station already broadcasting on? There is an antenna on the back sticking out, which is the radio antenna.
Just purchased a Peripheral Ipod integration adapter similar to vaistech for $29 at Circuit city, list price was $169. It integrates with Factory Radio/Navigation and also has an additional aux-in for Mp3 players or HD Radio .Looking forward to install it next week.

For Zune--> Soundgate adapters were just $12
Old 03-10-09, 06:08 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Wow. I lost track back at "I have a Zune . . . "