RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I regret buying this rx350

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 10:24 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce
The front seats are designed for normal size adults. A considerable number of American's are "larger" than "normal" (let's just leave it at that) and you cannot expect manufacturers to cater for that.

I'm 6 foot and 240lbs (in terms that you would understand) and have absolutely no issues with the seats or anything else with my RX. This is my 2nd RX and my 3rd Lexus overall.
I am 6 foot, 190 pounds. The end of the seat cushion hits me about mid thigh which causes leg numbness and back pain after being in the seat for 15 minutes. You must really find the seat cushion small in both lenght and width.
Old 03-14-09, 10:31 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
I am 6 foot, 190 pounds. The end of the seat cushion hits me about mid thigh which causes leg numbness and back pain after being in the seat for 15 minutes. You must really find the seat cushion small in both lenght and width.
No I actually find the seats perfect. No issues either on short drives or on long drives (700 miles plus).

I suffer with back problems but have zero issues with the RX seats, ergonomics etc.
Old 03-14-09, 11:00 PM
DNC
Advanced

No I actually find the seats perfect. No issues either on short drives or on long drives (700 miles plus).

I suffer with back problems but have zero issues with the RX seats, ergonomics etc.
I have had major back surgery 3 years ago but I don't believe my trouble is related to what I experience with these small seats.
Consider yourself lucky, my dealer tells me this is a the most common complaint with any customer over 5-9. After this year the cushion extensions will be offered on all Lexus models due to customer feedback. It's all about the seat cushion length and nothing to do with width.
Old 03-15-09, 12:07 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by DNC
I have had major back surgery 3 years ago but I don't believe my trouble is related to what I experience with these small seats.
Consider yourself lucky, my dealer tells me this is a the most common complaint with any customer over 5-9. After this year the cushion extensions will be offered on all Lexus models due to customer feedback. It's all about the seat cushion length and nothing to do with width.
Interesting. Over here the Seat Extension is only available on the "Sports Luxury" model (there are 3 models here - Prestige, Sports, Sports Luxury - all AWD). I test drove one last week and couldn't feel very much difference at all with the seat extended or at the "normal" setting.

All in all, while the new RX is an improvement, it's not a quantum leap over the existing RX IMO.

How do you sit in your RX? I tend to sit upright while I have seen quite a few others adjust the backrest to a greater rake (and then move the seat forward so they can reach the steering wheel.).

Last edited by harleydjce; 03-15-09 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Learn to spell
Old 03-15-09, 12:21 AM
DNC
Advanced

Interesting. Over here the Seat Extension is only available on the "Sports Luxury" model (there are 3 models here - Prestige, Sports, Sports Luxury - all AWD). I test drove tone last week and couldn't feel very much difference at all with the seat extended or at the "normal" setting.

All in all, while the new RX is an improvement, it's not a quantum leap over the existing RX IMO.

How do you sit in your RX? I tend to sit upright while I have seen quite a few others adjust the backrest to a greater rake (and then move the seat forward so they can reach the steering wheel.).
It's my understand too that the seat extension will be a part of the Sport Package. My dealer will not be able to take orders for 3 more months. I am not aware of the Prestige you describe being available. It's always interesting to me the way some cars differ from country to country. Each RX we have owned has been AWD. I do this in order to give my parents every advantage possible in the area of safety. When they had the RX330 I could tell a little difference between their AWD model and a loaner FWD they had once. It's hard to describe, more of a weight issue.
I hope the seat extension option will help. My Dad has the same complaint with the seat. He is taller than I am. That option in my 06 LS Ultra makes a big difference for me. We will just have to wait and see.
I am afraid you are right with the new RX not being leap over the present. The seats do seem improved. Another difference I noticed is a feeling of a lower center of gravity. Gone is all that handsome wood. I hate the smaller about of wood.
When I drive I must sit in an upright position no matter what car I am driving. I wish my LS had a little more lumbar support.
Old 03-15-09, 09:04 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
If you have not owned your car more than 30 days you should be able to return it if you purchased it new from a Lexus dealership. Just call your state attorney general's office tomorrow and ask if that is the case in your state. A friend of mine retuned his LS simply because he didn't like it. He never had to get anyone involved. The dealership took it back without pressure.
It's not in Texas.

You sign for it, you own it.
Old 03-15-09, 09:28 PM
tp290
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buyer remorse at it again....But at least you are driving brand new 2009 Lexus.
Old 03-16-09, 06:00 AM
tfischer

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't think there are any state laws regarding return of an automobile to a dealer after purchase just because the purchaser changed his mind. There is "revocation of acceptance" and certain "lemon laws," but those provisions require the car to be defective, and are based upon the theory that the purchaser needs time to determine if the car is "conforming goods" according to the contract.
However, certain dealers, especially of higher priced cars, may have a policy of taking the car back if the customer does not like it. Such policies may not apply to all models, however. (Maybe to the LS, for example, but not for an EX or RX.) If your dealer (or salesman) does tell you something like that, get it in writing, even if it's just written on a separate piece of paper and, most importantly, signed by him.
If this were state law, I'd be driving 12 new cars every year.
Old 03-16-09, 08:10 AM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

. We need a lawyer on this one. Any one?

Lemon law is totally a different case.

The dealer can loan a car/vehicle for as long as they want. Loaners are like such, and some positions in the dealership get loaners as a perk. I cant speak about other states, but in Texas, they loan cars to University sports coaches (hearsay). Once the transfer of title, happens the vehicle is no longer consider new. The dealers use this as basis to sell their demos as "new". The financing companies considers them as new, while we all know they are (ab)used.

Taking back a vehicle whose title has been transferred means a loss to the dealer. They may be willing to absorb the loss for what ever reasons they may have. In a used vehicle market, the return may easier, but it all depends upon the dealer.

Another extension of the same chain of thoughts is, that if some one pays a deposit, (s)he is entitled to full refund if (s)he refuses to take procession. [unlike earnest money]

Salim
Old 03-16-09, 08:18 AM
tfischer

I'd be glad to help, Salim, but I don't see a question there.
I would add that the return of a deposit or "earnest money" is dependent on the wording of the contract between the parties, not on the name applied to the funds.
Old 03-16-09, 08:26 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
dunno about that color but my pebble beach is amazing!

your pebble beach is smokin hot !! wish I had the money to update my 2004, I've always wanted a pebble beach SC or RX. I coach a high school golf team and I just think any golfer would enjoy those cars.
Old 03-16-09, 08:40 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by kalvano
it's not in texas.

You sign for it, you own it.
in virginia you have three days, certainly not three weeks . Some dealers will argue with you even within the three day period, makes no difference whether your at a chevy, ford, or lexus dealership.
Old 03-16-09, 08:57 AM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
I'd be glad to help, Salim, but I don't see a question there.
I would add that the return of a deposit or "earnest money" is dependent on the wording of the contract between the parties, not on the name applied to the funds.
You are right I never explicitly asked the question..
Is the dealer obligated to take back a vehicle after sale?
Sale being "transfer of title" in exchange of money/notes.

Salim
Old 03-16-09, 10:01 AM
tfischer

In most states, as far as I know, the answer would be no, a dealer is not obligated to take back a vehicle after the sale.
The exceptions would be "revocation of acceptance" under the UCC, which is difficult and is based on the vehicle being "non-conforming," and which also requires the buyer to first return the car and ask for a refund. This usually involves litigation because the dealers declines to make a refund.
Another exception would be a "lemon law" case, which requires the car to be unable to be repaired after several attempts, as defined by the statutes of the state where the dealer is located. The defects have to be operational or safety-related, not cosmetic; the dealer has to first be given an opportunity or two to make repairs.
Neither of these, of course, relates to just a change of mind. Those statutes usually relate to impulse purchases, such as door to door salesmen and gym memberships, not to auto purchases, which are more deliberate, and the time to revoke the contract is usually about five days; hardly ever is it as long as 30 days.
Finally, a dealer may offer to take the car back as a policy of the dealership or as a special option to a particular buyer as an incentive. The buyer would never get this enforced unless he had it in a writing signed by the seller.
Many dealers, especially of luxury makes, will give you a car to try for a day or more. I had a dealer give me a Jag convertible for a weekend, which was fun, but which only convinced me to buy an SC430 instead. With cars, it's try before you buy, because returns and refunds of new automobiles are virtually unheard of.

PS: If the car is financed and the title is held by a third party, multiply your trouble times 10 with respect to any of the above situations.
Old 03-16-09, 12:04 PM
DNC
Advanced

The story I repeated happened to one of my closest friends who leased a new LS putting no money down. He had bought a new BMW 7 Series just before that, 2002, and because they couldn't fix some issues with the car BMW bought it back. I though Lexus would be a good car for him with all the trouble he had experienced with the 7 Series. He just didn't like the LS and the dealer went above and beyond by taking the car back two months later even after he had had the car modified due to him being handicapped. The salesman made the remark to me they would have to take it back had it happened in the first 30 days of ownership but they were doing something no required of them by taking it back at the period of time involved. I thought he implied the first 30 days return was something assued by some type of NC state law. I had my friend refresh my memory so I would have this right for the rest of you.
BTW, this friend of mine then got a new Audi A6 which he kept for two years, after that getting a new A8. I was completely shocked when neither of those cars ever had a single issue. I would have thought I was giving him good advice on the LS but it turned out it was not.

Quick Reply: I regret buying this rx350