RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX350 not driven in 4 months

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 01:14 AM
Hanzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX350 not driven in 4 months

I had a long vacation, four months to be exact, and I left my RX350 in the garage about the same amount of time with the battery disconnected. I wonder if I can start the car when I reconnect the battery without any issue?

I disconnected the battery with the advice of my dealership, they recommend to take it back to them immediately after I have return.

The car ODO is exactly 30,000 KM, the 30k service has not been done yet. Planning to do the service and installed new HID system that I bought while I was on vacation when I return.
Old 03-13-09, 07:04 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Is there a question in there, besides the question mark placed after a declarative sentence?
Next time, rather than disconnecting the battery for 4 months, hook it up to a "Battery Tender."
http://www.batterytender.com/
This is an inexpensive device that will keep the battery charged but not overcharged for long periods of time, and is designed for just this situation. I generally do not drive my SC430 during the winter months here, and I park it outside, cover it up, and connect a Battery Tender.
Finally, I also wonder if you can start the car; before reconnecting the battery, you might consider taking it to a shop to be recharged (slowly).
Good luck.
Old 03-13-09, 07:28 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

It should start right up if your battery is still good. The dealer just wants to take some of your money. If it doesn't start, take the battery to a shop (some auto parts store would charge it for free because if it's dead there's a possibility you'll be buying from them a new battery), have it charged, take it back home and start the car.
Old 03-13-09, 09:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

The battery tender was the way to go. But your battery should still be ok, and do NOT go and give your money away to the dealer....
Old 03-13-09, 01:53 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our only Chrysler/Jeep dealership here has been abandoned for four months now with a full lot of new cars. It's like a ghost town with not a car being moved in that period of time. I wonder if they will start?
I would think your car would be just fine. I have cars I store that go for extended periods of time without being started; not that I recommend doing this often.
Old 03-14-09, 01:43 AM
Hanzo
Driver School Candidate

If my battery does not have enough juice, can I just use other car to jump start it? Will it do any harm?. I've only disconnected the positive connector.
Old 03-14-09, 06:11 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

No it won't harm it. Jump it, when it starts let it idle quite a bit or drive it around with all electrical components off.
Old 03-17-09, 01:25 PM
Boognish
Driver

I've read that jump starting modern vehicles can *possibly* cause damage to the ECU.
Old 03-17-09, 10:39 PM
Tom H
Rookie

Unfortunately, I was hospitalized for more than 5 months following a severe heart attack . As it was an emergency situation I didn't really have the luxury of preparing the RX for storage. It just sat in our garage from late Jan, 08' through early Jun, 08. When I was finally able to try my hand at driving again the RX started rite up as if it had been driven the day before. On the up side, my RX which was purchased at the end of July 2007', will be 2 years old this coming July (09) and I've only just crossed the 5,000 mile mark. Because of this disabling situation I'm averaging 30 mi/per week back and forth to rehab. This is going to be a very long term, low mileage vehicle.
Old 03-18-09, 08:52 PM
grouch
Driver

With the battery removed, all of the auto features will not work. That may be what the dealer wants to reset. You can do it yourself if you like. It's all in the manual and easy.
Old 03-19-09, 10:10 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

i am in a similar situation

my question is after 4 months sitting and the battery being dead, provided it was in good condition beforehand do you think it will hold a charge?
Old 03-19-09, 10:45 AM
tfischer

It's a little hard to generalize from the limited information in your question, but if the battery was fully charged at the start of the 4 month period, my guess, and I am no battery expert, would be maybe.
I think all you can do is charge it up (slow charge is better, I think), and see how it does, as I think your circumstances are right about in the middle where the battery could go either way.
Good luck.
Old 03-19-09, 11:08 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tfischer
It's a little hard to generalize from the limited information in your question, but if the battery was fully charged at the start of the 4 month period, my guess, and I am no battery expert, would be maybe.
I think all you can do is charge it up (slow charge is better, I think), and see how it does, as I think your circumstances are right about in the middle where the battery could go either way.
Good luck.
thats my quandry

i dont have a charger and buying a decent one would cost about 1/2 the price of a good replacement

not sure what to do
Old 03-19-09, 11:30 AM
tfischer

Take it to an Autozone store, and they will charge it for free. Pick it up the next day and put it back in the car and see how long it holds the charge.
Or, if the battery is more than 3 or 4 years old already, then just replace it now.
Old 03-22-09, 05:28 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

A car battery is a demand battery. If there no demand placed on the battery it will not try to charge and over time the charge that it has will be lost. Set it back up and try it first it might trun right over for you if not call Lexus and let them take care of it for you . You paid for this service when you got the car so use it. That is one of the good things about a Lexus that still need to used.

Quick Reply: 2008 RX350 not driven in 4 months