RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX400h... Already rusting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 09:39 PM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my plan for tomorrow is definatly call the SM first and request something be put in writing... because they didnt do that.. ( remember they scheduled my appt for 15 mins before they close so taht they wouldn't have to deal with us) then.. Im going to call the Eurpoean body shop (the first one... I think theres two we know of that we like) and schedule someone to take a look... then when I get the document of Lexus's assessment, hopefully they'll just email it to me I will call back and ask about the Lexus Rep and their information and when they will be in next. It should be within the following week or two. Do you think I should call the Lexus Rep right away or should I just schedule an appointment through the SM like he suggested?
Old 03-23-09, 10:24 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would do both, schedule thru the dealership, and also call him on your own to let him know EXACTLY how unhappy you are with this situation. Basically, inform him that you have already made an appt to see him thru the dealership and you are calling to make sure that he is not only aware of it, but to inform him that you are an extremely unhapy customer. This pretty much lets him know that there is a SERIOUS situation that is brewing and you DON'T plan on going away easily. Give him some background of your situation, from your side not just the dealership side, so he can have some time to already formulate a skeletal game plan of what to do when he finally get to see you in person. Truthfully, I just would not trust your dealership to do anything, and he needs to know this. They are gonna do EVERYTHING possible to try to make YOU look like the neglectful onwer who is now crying about her car a year later. Basically, kill em with facts/ proof/ documentation. This is why I say to have ALL of your documents in order when you see him in person. Get the independent analysis from unbiased shops along with estimates to fix(can't hurt) and based upon what they find start to think in your mind what a reasonable compromise is that you can live with. Also make sure that you keep track of any/all people you come in contact with, in regards to this matter, and make general notes of what that contact was for. Right now, YOU have the responsibility to make sure that YOU DO NOT represent the role of the neglectful owner, and to me you dont come across as that type person. If the dealership is reluctant to provide that info to you, via managers, ask for the dealership owner. You can also call another Lexus dealer in your area and get the same info (contact info) as the Lexus rep is somewhat of a district manager for all of them in the area. I really hope that I have been able to help in a small way, please keep us updated.

Tony

Last edited by trukn1; 03-24-09 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 08:06 AM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

So I sent an email to the SM of the Lexus Dealership. I should have some sort of documentation in writing in my email at some point in time today. They said they had already completed it and had forwarded it to lexus so Im just waiting for them to send it to me.

I called another Lexus dealership in the are and asked them if I could get the name of the Lexus Rep for the area. I found it kind of humerous how everyone scrambled on the phone.. first the receptionist and then I was put through to the leasing dept for some reason and when I requested again I was put on hold and sent through to another person. I had to assure them I didn't have an issue with their dealership and that it was with another dealership in the area. He didn't give me the lexus reps name and told me that I should be calling the 180025lexus number (which is what everyone is telling me to do) So I once I get the document from the dealership I will call back to them and ask for the Lexus Rep there. I'm also going to go ahead and call this 180025Lexus number and some point in time either today or tomorrow..

you've been a great help.. thanks..
Old 03-24-09, 10:50 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Good job. You may even be able to get that info from the 800 number. Remember to have all your paperwork in order and get the independent assessments from the other shops FIRST so you can make sure that the damage is really from poor paint process and not the "rail dust" as your dealer suggested. This will only help your case and make it stronger.
Old 03-24-09, 11:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as the soft paint goes, don't blame Lexus, blame the tree huggers and the government. Recently the government had made certain regulations to remove certain elements from automotive paints, that were "harming the ozone layer" and creating global warming. Therefore paint on ALL new cars is softer.

As far as rust, well, it depends on the alloy and type of metal, but generally unpainted steel will rust. I know some manufacturers, BMW and maybe others, use galvanized steel which is almost rust proof. I wonder why more manufacturers do not use it.

Last edited by Och; 03-24-09 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 12:08 PM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

Let's talk about Rail Dust for a minute? Let's say the second opinion comes back and does say Rail dust. From what I know about rail dust is that it happens in pre delivery of the vehicle from the manufacturer and to the dealership. Majority of new cars can be affected by it. But I have never seen any cars start to rust out like mine has especially in the hood. (which I don't believe is rail dust and I dont believe every hole is from a stone chip.) But if they do say rail dust is the problem... why am I liable?

One of the questions the dealership had for us yesterday was "Do you wash your car or have you washed your car since you purchased the car?" I don't know who wouldn't wash their car and my car has been washed at their dealership atleast 3 times since we purchased it. Every time it is serviced they detail the outside of it for us. Also we have washed and waxed it twice over the summer. So... I guess Im just confused as to how rail dust would be my fault when it happened while the car was not in my possession. The Director said it didn't happen while in transport because the cars are completely covered with plastic film. The Sales Manager (his boss) said that wasn't true and that only parts of the car are covered with plastic. Another contradictory statement.

Im hoping my husband takes it into the first shop (where we took our Audi) tonight. I would atleast like to get one second opinion and call tomorrow the 1800lexus number.

I just don't understand how rail dust can be our fault either. We live no where near a rail road track. The only possibility to get rail dust would be from transport before we purchased the car. I have read alot of stories so far on other forums about rail dust and they just clay bar it out literally every six months. The only thing to truly cure it is a new paint job. I can't afford a new paint job. Especially after what tony said about his a few years back.
Old 03-24-09, 02:42 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

From my experience, I haven't heard of rail dust being a problem on new cars. I am still not actually sure what in the world it is, however I don't think it is your fault. Get the opinions of the shop first to establish exactly what is going on and what the cure is before you start to panic on what I said with my previous experience with my Camry. In that instance of mine, it was a RARE and ISOLATED case. This is not/may not necesarily be the case with yours. I personally do not know what the cure is for "rail dust" if that is the problem, so getting the opinions of your non biased shops is gonna be very important. By the pics you posted, the larger marks look to be from stone chips, the smaller ones not sure of. Being a trucker, I see Lexus' transported everyday. Sometimes they are shipped in the enclosed carriers, most of the times they are shipped in the normal, everyday car carriers that you see on the highway. For clarification, the ONLY cars I have EVER seen completly covered in shipping is Audi. Lexus, like 99% of every other car manufacturer, ships their cars with the entire hood, front bumper, rear bumper and rims(not tires) covered over with an adhesive like plastic.
Old 03-25-09, 09:06 AM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

AND THE VERDICT IS IN:

I don't think we will be going to the next Body shop. The first one is the one we are used to and trust the most and this is what they have to say.

The sides and hatch are from metal shavings.. they can be easily removed. ( which we will let the dealership remove with clay bar and then put a protective coat on )
The front is mostly from stone chips. They don't believe it is a paint quality issue however... They believe that Lexus vehicles have a poor hood design (which I can't fight becuase I bought the car the way it is) Apparently Infiniti has the same issue with their hoods by the grill as well.

Lesson learned:
Wash the Lexus more often then you've ever washed any other car in your life... Not to mention wax.

The solution... for the hood anyways because I already stated what will be done about the body... We are going to have the Body shop repaint the front part of the hood and then attach 3M to the hood. Which means I will be without a vehicle for 30 days but if its done before the baby is here then it should be fine.

While I LOVE LOVE LOVE my car... I have to say the treatment that I experienced with trying to present to the dealership the concerns we had, left such a bad taste in my mouth that I doubt we will ever own another Lexus after this. We will drive this car till it dies because we love the car... But what I love more is having a car manufacturer that stands behind their consumers. I do plan on writing to The Customer Satisfaction Technical Manager at Lexus with my concerns and complaints about the way we have been treated. And the lost faith that we have now in their company and ability of the dealerships that represent them being able to resolve consumer issues effectivly.

I have yet recieved the finished documentation on the assessment for my vehicle from the dealership. Which is what I expected. Even though on tuesday it was sent to Lexus Headquarters. It was said that it would be emailed to me but I have not seen it nor has my husband.
Old 03-25-09, 01:07 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

"We have had paint chips on the hood for the last 3 years. These went all the way to the metal. We have never fixed them. No rust at all. If you live in a more humid climate or along the East or West coast I think you will get more rust. "

We are on the gulf coast and had 73" of rain last year in Moble and I still do not have rust on our chips on the hood. Must be the road salt from up north with all the ice and that other white stuff that we only see on TV and books
Old 03-25-09, 01:21 PM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

Yea Yea.. Rub it in why don't ya! Didn't you guys get hit with some snow earlier this month???
Old 03-25-09, 06:02 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

They had some up in Birmingham and that is about 250 miles North of me. The last sown fall here was in 2003 . there were a few others but never more than 1/8 " and it is frozen rain most of the time at that. We are on the gulf and we can have an storm any time from May till October. One day all the trees have leaves and the next you might not have any trees left standing up in your yard. And the one you do might not have any of their leaves on them if the storm is a >3 and is close to you. Love my Lexus but the paint sucks on it and that is the way it is. Its 8 PM here and 69F now in Mobile that a way to rub it in for all yall that have that their road salt right now.
Old 03-25-09, 06:21 PM
LinDarLex
Driver School Candidate

Shhhooot... It was 55 here today. Spring is finally here. I don't need to worry about salt now for well a good 6-8 months. And I agree Lexus paint sucks. I'm used to the rub in's I have a sister that lives in Americus Georgia. She's constantly texting me with the daily weather report. Especially during the freezing winter!
Old 03-26-09, 06:46 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Metal shaving huh? Well glad that you FINALLY know what is going on with the vehicle. I know that this has been a very trying experience going thru this and I for one don't blame you for feeling the way that you do. As far as the lexus experience goes, even you agree that Lexus makes a great vehicle and you are so in love with their product. As far as the company standing behind their product, I really don't think that it is a breakdown with the company standing behind their product, moreso than a HORRIBLE dealer standing in the way of it. IMO, your dealer is/was absolutely horrible in the whole handling/facillitation of your concerns and that should be noted. The non chalant attitude that they gave you, they impression that they really did not care, and their procrastination for the presentation of written materials you requested from them is inexcusable. Their higher ups' still need to know of the horrible experience that you had there, and I honestly would use the other Lexus dealership that you mentioned to compare your experience; I know it has to be a whole world better than what you got. Your car is still under warranty(I assume) so you are not obligated to go the dealer you purchased it from; you can go to any Lexus dealer of your chosing. As hard as it is to defend YOUR experience, please don't let THIS experience reflect negatively upon the entire product line as a whole. Well, congrads on the new, soon to be arrival, and good luck.