RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Oil Change Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09 | 10:34 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Default RX350 Oil Change Help

I want to change the oil & filter on my 2008 RX350. I used to do it all the time on my Jeep Grand Cherokee (common spin-on filter) as well as on a Mercedes C280 (element-only, accessed from above) but this is different than either of those.

I've seen some directions here on this site and there is some info included with the replacement filter but I just want to make sure of a few things before I do it.

Is that lighter color (on my photo) inner disk the filter drain plug that people refer to (unscrewed with the 3/8" socket drive)? So I take that off first and then unscrew the larger cap with the 65mm filter wrench?

Why do the filter directions say to shove the included plastic tool thing up there? What's preventing the oil that's in the filter housing from coming out before you do that?

Is this all metal? (The Mercedes C280 housing was plastic.) Just want to know before applying any force.

Also, someone said that because their dealer had overtightened everything when they unscrewed the cap they got the entire filter housing. If that happens is it tricky at all to screw it back on?

This is all probably pretty simple stuff once you've done it but I figured I should avail myself of the knowledge available here.

(I was concerned before doing the Benz the first time and a little annoyed they didn't just use a spin-on but once I did it I came to appreciate what a nice system it was.)
Old 03-22-09 | 11:19 PM
jeffls400
Rookie

Yes, the center disk is the one that you would remove first. The canister is cast aluminum. Once this is off, you then insert the plastic tube into the recess revealed by removing this cover. Once you insert the tube, oil will drain pretty rapidly from the canister, so have your drain pan ready and in position. It is a spring-loaded mechanism and is pretty clever because if you are patient enough to let the oil drain out, the mess created when unscrewing the main canister is minimized. BTW, I found a nice wrench in the correct size for the filter canister at Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks. It takes me longer to clean the housing then it does to swap out the filter element and the pair of o-rings. This is a lot nicer setup than the spin-on filter on my LS400. :-)
Old 03-23-09 | 06:14 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Good advice, u will need the special tool to remove the housing too.
I didn't know about the plastic tube so I had quite a mess while changing it the 1st time.
Old 03-23-09 | 06:32 AM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Thanks.

(I already picked up the 65mm / 14 flat tool at Pep Boys for $4.99)
Old 03-23-09 | 10:31 AM
asdfhello
Driver School Candidate

Is this different from the RX330?
Old 03-27-09 | 05:57 PM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by asdfhello
Is this different from the RX330?
Yes, they're different. The RX330 uses the spin on type. The RX350 uses a cartridge style.
Old 03-27-09 | 09:48 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Here you go:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html
Old 04-04-09 | 06:13 PM
naimyGX470
Driver School Candidate

i just did a oil change on my brothers 2009 rx350 and it is the most simplest thing. Ok if you dont care about getting your hangs a little dirty then instead of unsrewing the socket to drain the oil just twist it off in a left patter and the 2 grooves on it help taking it off and then when off clean all around dont worry about using the small gasket u never even messed with it but replace the large gasket on the side then remove the filter and clean the inside after that when installing the new filter make sure it snaps into place and it doesnt matter what way you put it on then when screwing the housing back on it will be tough but it will eventually stop and u cant move it anymore and there you go and unsrewing the oil pan bolt is a breeze dont worry about that. and there you go
Old 04-12-09 | 02:26 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

What is the correct wrench size? I was able to open it with a 65mm/14-flat from Pep Boys but it slipped too much on tightening. I put this to the outer part of the wrench being actually 67 mm so looking around today I found a similar product which is also 65/67 but plastic so I bought it and cut off the 67mm part. That seems to fit snuggly but being plastic the 3/8" socket drive doesn't stand up to much force. I don't see any seepage but I do want to get it properly tight so I don't have to worry.

Looking around online I see references to a Toyo part 640 which I think is actually 64mm. So what's the right part? I can see what a NAPA store has or order online.
Old 04-13-09 | 02:15 PM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by filmteknik
What is the correct wrench size? I was able to open it with a 65mm/14-flat from Pep Boys but it slipped too much on tightening. I put this to the outer part of the wrench being actually 67 mm so looking around today I found a similar product which is also 65/67 but plastic so I bought it and cut off the 67mm part. That seems to fit snuggly but being plastic the 3/8" socket drive doesn't stand up to much force. I don't see any seepage but I do want to get it properly tight so I don't have to worry.

Looking around online I see references to a Toyo part 640 which I think is actually 64mm. So what's the right part? I can see what a NAPA store has or order online.
I think you can do a search on google for toy640 and should get some result.
Old 04-13-09 | 04:36 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

If, like my RX, yours was serviced at least once at the dealer, it's likely the filter drain plug was put on with an impact gun, and will never, EVER come out. If that's the case, you can just remove the whole housing by putting a 1/2" extension into the socket.
Old 04-14-09 | 09:31 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

I had no problem with the drain plug.

I'm not sure where I got the info that the main housing was 65mm but that Toy 640 part is listed as being 64mm.

I finally took the wrench I had and used a Dremel to cut the 67mm section away and used what was left to make sure the thing was tight. I guess I will have to order a proper tool before the next change.
Old 04-16-09 | 06:46 AM
Scottydog
Driver

I bought an adjustable filter tool at my local parts store for $10. Worked great. With that tool oil changes are a 15 min no brainer.

Last edited by Scottydog; 04-16-09 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-18-10 | 07:25 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I'm having difficulty removing the oil filter housing. This is not my first oil change and I've done all the other ones before. So I dunno how I messed this up. I always used a Walmart oil filter range that looks like the SST, but this time it kept slipping off as if it was stripped. I went and bought another one - same thing. Now I don't know how to open it up. Does the SST have a better fit than the Walmart filter? And does anyone know the part number and where I can get one?

EDIT: Found it on Sewell - #092280650002 ($50, ouch!)
Old 07-19-10 | 08:45 AM
txt
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I'm having difficulty removing the oil filter housing. This is not my first oil change and I've done all the other ones before. So I dunno how I messed this up. I always used a Walmart oil filter range that looks like the SST, but this time it kept slipping off as if it was stripped. I went and bought another one - same thing. Now I don't know how to open it up. Does the SST have a better fit than the Walmart filter? And does anyone know the part number and where I can get one?

EDIT: Found it on Sewell - #092280650002 ($50, ouch!)

The right tool to remove the filter housing is:
Assenmacher (ASTTOY640) Toyota Oil FIlter Wrench
This will fit very snugly.
You will also need the 24mm socket with 1/2 drive to use with the TOY640.
You should pay around $20 including shipping for the TOY640.

Quick Reply: RX350 Oil Change Help