RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Service at a Toyota Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 07:40 AM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look folks. If you own your car, the smart and practical thing to do is to take your RX350 to your local Lexus or Toyota dealer for routine maintenance and a Lexus dealer for warranty work. The Lexus and Toyota dealers use the same parts for the 3.5L engine and the Toyota dealers actually have more experience with that engine than Lexus.
Old 04-01-09, 12:13 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalvano
If wherever you take it causes damage to the car because the idiot wrench monkey uses the wrong oil filter or something, or let's say the Jiffy Lube is using bad oil, I guarantee you will be stuck with the bill, background in contract law or not.

Is it likely? Not very. But on the off chance something happens, if you haven't been doing your services which you are contractually obligated to do, at an authorized service center, Lexus will very happily stick you with the bill.

As far as the definition of "authorized", good luck. Lexus-trained and certified = authorized.
If you do your own maintenance, as many here do, and you screw up the filter change, you are on your own too - so what difference does it make?

Geez, get a grip people. I have yet to see any, and I mean any, prececdent for refusal to honor a warranty because one had their oil changed at other than a Lexus dealer, assuming one kept records and receipts. Note too, that I specifically stated, in no uncertain terms that all warranty work - which as yet the government has not defined as oil changes and routine maintenance - must be done by Lexus. I would assume that reading comprehension is at least one criteria for posting here.
Old 04-01-09, 05:03 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexes397
People bring their lexus to toyota dealerships all the time for routine maintenance. I work for toyota and I always find myself working on a lexus. Those ISFs are very nice!
As told by a Toyota dealer here, Toyota Canada does not allow Toyota dealers to perform services on a Lexus unless the Lexus was purchased from that dealer (as a used vehicle or otherwise).
Old 04-01-09, 08:02 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orzel
If you do your own maintenance, as many here do, and you screw up the filter change, you are on your own too - so what difference does it make?

Geez, get a grip people. I have yet to see any, and I mean any, prececdent for refusal to honor a warranty because one had their oil changed at other than a Lexus dealer, assuming one kept records and receipts. Note too, that I specifically stated, in no uncertain terms that all warranty work - which as yet the government has not defined as oil changes and routine maintenance - must be done by Lexus. I would assume that reading comprehension is at least one criteria for posting here.
If you're planning on taking shots about reading comprehension, perhaps you ought to look at yourself.

I never said anything about warranty work. I never said anything about not honoring warranty claims. I said that, IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO A MAJOR COMPONENT AND THE WORK WASN'T DONE AT AN AUTHORIZED LEXUS FACILITY, ON A LEASED CAR LEXUS CAN COME AFTER YOU FOR THE FULL AMOUNT OF THE DAMAGE.

If you lease your vehicle, you are essentially borrowing it from Lexus and if something catastrophic happens to the car in the form of engine or major component failure, you don't just get to say "Ooops, oh well. Here's your car back, sorry about that."

You will be held responsible. So provide all the receipts you want from wherever the work is being done, if it's not an authorized Lexus facility and something happens, they won't mean crap.