RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Service at a Toyota Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 01:19 PM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service at a Toyota Dealer?

I know that I can get scheduled maintenance for my RX350 at my local Toyota dealer and understand that it will be less expensive. Does anyone know if the Toyota and Lexus service databases are linked so that a vehicle's service history can be accessed and tracked by either service center, regardless of where you get it serviced?
Old 03-23-09, 08:38 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

No, they are not linked.

And if it's a lease vehicle, that technically puts you in violation of your lease, since Toyota service personnel are not trained nor certified to work on a Lexus.
Old 03-23-09, 09:27 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^This is not entirely true. There are SOME, not all, Toyota dealers which have mechanics who ARE certified to work on Lexus products. Going to a Toyota dealer will be cheaper, and you really do need to review your lease carefully to see what their specifics terms are in accordance to maintenance(if leased vehicle). Even then, as long as you keep accurate records that the car was dealer serviced at regular, scheduled, intervals and you have the paperwork to prove it, there is really nothing they can say. As far as the computers being linked, not really. Most reputable dealerships are required to put your cars service history into a national database to keep track of service. This is done via vin number. This is how Lexus of Cincinnati can tell you that you had your car serviced at Lexus of Cleveland on this date thru vin number track. If you choose to do your service at Toyota, best thing for you to do is keep ALL of the invoices for your records, so that a service history can be assessed by Lexus if you ever need to go to them for anything or if it is a leased vehicle. The terms of your lease, sometimes limit what you can and cannot do with the car. In the case of a lease, you have a responsiblity to make sure that reasonible care/maintenance is taken to maintain the vehicle. Unless your lease SPECIFICALLY states that you HAVE TO have the car serviced by them excluesively, you are free to service at any place of your choosing. I would however advise your not to go any where else but them for warranty covered items tho as it can fall under the terms of your lease. As long as you have the paperwork/documentation that the car was taken care of and maintained on what can be determined was a schedule, you should be fine. Just read the lease very carefully. Even better, just give one of them a call and get your question answered directly from the horses mouth.

Last edited by trukn1; 03-24-09 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 12:27 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus, whether leased or purchased can be serviced anywhere for routine maintenance. There are no prohibitions on this, and as long as routine maintenance follows the guidelines as established by Lexus, and you keep your receipts, you will not impact your warranty or your lease. You cannot have warranty work done at a Toyota dealer, or any place other than at a Lexus dealer only they are authorized to effect warranty work.

I've had routine service done on both our RX and our IS (and will probably have our GS done there too) at our local Toyota Dealer, as it's about 100 miles one way to get to the nearest Lexus. After getting maintenance done, I've gone into Lexus Owners web site and updated maintenance records on both vehicles.
Old 03-24-09, 03:04 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

^^Thanks for clearing that up. Was pretty sure that this was how it worked, however I have never leased my vehicles.
Old 03-26-09, 11:34 PM
Lexes397
Rookie

People bring their lexus to toyota dealerships all the time for routine maintenance. I work for toyota and I always find myself working on a lexus. Those ISFs are very nice!
Old 03-30-09, 10:48 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Orzel
Lexus, whether leased or purchased can be serviced anywhere for routine maintenance. There are no prohibitions on this, and as long as routine maintenance follows the guidelines as established by Lexus, and you keep your receipts, you will not impact your warranty or your lease. You cannot have warranty work done at a Toyota dealer, or any place other than at a Lexus dealer only they are authorized to effect warranty work.

I've had routine service done on both our RX and our IS (and will probably have our GS done there too) at our local Toyota Dealer, as it's about 100 miles one way to get to the nearest Lexus. After getting maintenance done, I've gone into Lexus Owners web site and updated maintenance records on both vehicles.
That's incorrect.

The fine print on a Lexus lease contract states that all service must be done at an "authorized" repair facility.

It's a sticking point they have in there so, if you don't do the work or you take it to Jiffy Lube and they screw it up and cause major damage, Lexus can hold you liable. It's pretty standard lease stuff.
Old 03-31-09, 06:18 AM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

That's another reason why I don't lease my vehicles.
Old 03-31-09, 06:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by kalvano
That's incorrect.

The fine print on a Lexus lease contract states that all service must be done at an "authorized" repair facility.

It's a sticking point they have in there so, if you don't do the work or you take it to Jiffy Lube and they screw it up and cause major damage, Lexus can hold you liable. It's pretty standard lease stuff.
For a moment when I was scanning this initially, I thought it said "an authorized Jiffy Lube facility". That'll be the day.
Old 03-31-09, 12:33 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalvano
That's incorrect.

Chuckle! I defy you to find where Lexus actually defines "authorized". My background, and daily work is in contract law, I've actually read the TMC lease Agreement - boring I know! Undefined terms make for very interesting precedents. I have leased and owned a great number of vehicles over the years. Between my wife and I we have had 14 Toyota's, and now 4 Lexus, that's not counting innumerable Honda's, Ford's, one very crappy MoPar, a few Chev's, and a few Lucas Prince of Darkness Brit cars. I have yet to run afoul of leases/warranties by having oil changes and routine maintenance done outside of "authorized" dealers. As long as you keep good records, including receipts, on maintenance, you should be in good shape.
Old 03-31-09, 02:52 PM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

I have a binder for every car I have. Receipts, memo's, etc.. Every time I check the car, I note down what the findings are. What type of oil used, brand of filter, etc., part numbers, so that next time, you have the part number handy. I also note the size of socket wrench, etc., saves time!
Old 03-31-09, 04:34 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So a warranty issue comes up and you end up bickering with a Lexus dealer about whether a Toyata dealer was 'authorized', you can always say a lawyer on clublexus said it would be fine . Risk/reward, gang. It will depend in what issue comes up and how the Lexus dealer approaches it. Having some sort of questionable legal standing may be comforting but not definitive to make the decision as always, eyes open. Good luck one way or the other.
Old 03-31-09, 05:17 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by ecount00
So a warranty issue comes up and you end up bickering with a Lexus dealer about whether a Toyata dealer was 'authorized', you can always say a lawyer on clublexus said it would be fine . Risk/reward, gang. It will depend in what issue comes up and how the Lexus dealer approaches it. Having some sort of questionable legal standing may be comforting but not definitive to make the decision as always, eyes open. Good luck one way or the other.
In the case of a warranty issue, you MUST go to Lexus to have the item taken of. In the case of routine maintenance you are not obligated to do so, however it will be very advisable to keep very correct and accurate records/receipts. If the warranty part was to fail, it is up to Lexus to determine that the failure was due your failure to properly maintain the vehicle. Well the existence of receipts and service records will certainly quall any arguement as to your failure to do so. Now if you take the car anywhere else to have WARRANTY work completed, and has not been authorized by Lexus, then you are in a world of trouble.

Last edited by trukn1; 03-31-09 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-31-09, 08:11 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Orzel
Chuckle! I defy you to find where Lexus actually defines "authorized". My background, and daily work is in contract law, I've actually read the TMC lease Agreement - boring I know! Undefined terms make for very interesting precedents. I have leased and owned a great number of vehicles over the years. Between my wife and I we have had 14 Toyota's, and now 4 Lexus, that's not counting innumerable Honda's, Ford's, one very crappy MoPar, a few Chev's, and a few Lucas Prince of Darkness Brit cars. I have yet to run afoul of leases/warranties by having oil changes and routine maintenance done outside of "authorized" dealers. As long as you keep good records, including receipts, on maintenance, you should be in good shape.
If wherever you take it causes damage to the car because the idiot wrench monkey uses the wrong oil filter or something, or let's say the Jiffy Lube is using bad oil, I guarantee you will be stuck with the bill, background in contract law or not.

Is it likely? Not very. But on the off chance something happens, if you haven't been doing your services which you are contractually obligated to do, at an authorized service center, Lexus will very happily stick you with the bill.

As far as the definition of "authorized", good luck. Lexus-trained and certified = authorized.
Old 04-01-09, 06:31 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

For further consideration I never had a dealer change the oil/filter on our "04 RX & it never was an issue when we traded it in or had warranty work done.
They did the 1st oil change & stuff but they were way too far away to have it done every time plus I used synthetics over the 75K we had it & NEVER a problem with the drive train.

Quick Reply: Service at a Toyota Dealer?