RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just found a hidden service menu in my 09 Pebble Beach Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 03:47 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arbitrage1
This works on our '08 RX as well. I didnt fool with any of the settings, but its cool to know its there.

And also you can get to the menu by just turning the parking lights on and off four times (while holding info and having the ignition in ON).
Thanks for the info on the 08 RX, looking to trade my 04 for an 08 and will use this tip
Old 10-01-09, 12:19 PM
06WTRX400H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife is at work right now. but does this work on NAV models only? Is there a way i can change the computer personal settings by myself? The dealer wants $30 to change them to what I want....
Old 10-01-09, 07:48 PM
PINGGOLF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blackrx330
if GPS is so accurate, esp. in our cars and portable nav units, ie. garmins, why is that whenever i cross the red light, the arrow on my nav screen is still 15 feet behind everytime? GPS is pin point accurate in governmental equipments, but in the consumer end of it, it's off for a reason. care to explain why?
Great question and I'll explain to some extent.

Most all nav units found in cars, whether portable or dealer installed, have a navigational triangle...yes, some you can change the directional icon to a car, plane, even Santa and his sled...but I have two answers for you.

1.) Tracking on the factory nav screen with the triangle, the very front tip of the triangle is your EXACT position...and where exactly is your GPS antenna located??? Most are on the rear of the car...so your actually tracking from your trunk...not your hood ornament. For my Genesis...thats roughly 12-15 feet.

2.) If in fact, you do have a portable Garmin, TomTom...It may be time to upgrade. The older ones used 4 or more satellites to get a location...which could be way off. The newer ones can get anywhere from 12-20 satellites to calculate your position.

And to answer your question about governmental use. YES, the government reserves the best and clearest signals for military use. For most civilian uses, on a bright clear day pulling from 20 satellites, your accuracy should be near perfect if not a few meters off. If you have an older system that pulls 4 to 10 satellites, your accuracy drops to about 15-20 meters.

There are several avenues of information concerning the GPS constellation. The most relavent and up-to-date information can be found in our mission booklets which are PUBLIC information. http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_newslist.html scroll down and on the left hand column, click on a GPS mission. Once there, click "mission booklet."

Of course, another would be Wikipedia.

Hope this aids in your understanding of the GPS constellation.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit...Please forgive!
Old 10-03-09, 07:59 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just found this service menu. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-05-09, 02:22 PM
blackrx330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PINGGOLF
Great question and I'll explain to some extent.

Most all nav units found in cars, whether portable or dealer installed, have a navigational triangle...yes, some you can change the directional icon to a car, plane, even Santa and his sled...but I have two answers for you.

1.) Tracking on the factory nav screen with the triangle, the very front tip of the triangle is your EXACT position...and where exactly is your GPS antenna located??? Most are on the rear of the car...so your actually tracking from your trunk...not your hood ornament. For my Genesis...thats roughly 12-15 feet.

2.) If in fact, you do have a portable Garmin, TomTom...It may be time to upgrade. The older ones used 4 or more satellites to get a location...which could be way off. The newer ones can get anywhere from 12-20 satellites to calculate your position.

And to answer your question about governmental use. YES, the government reserves the best and clearest signals for military use. For most civilian uses, on a bright clear day pulling from 20 satellites, your accuracy should be near perfect if not a few meters off. If you have an older system that pulls 4 to 10 satellites, your accuracy drops to about 15-20 meters.

There are several avenues of information concerning the GPS constellation. The most relavent and up-to-date information can be found in our mission booklets which are PUBLIC information. http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_newslist.html scroll down and on the left hand column, click on a GPS mission. Once there, click "mission booklet."

Of course, another would be Wikipedia.

Hope this aids in your understanding of the GPS constellation.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit...Please forgive!

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 10-05-09, 04:30 PM
SC300Star
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tried this in our Thundercloud - it works! Only difference: 3 on/off switch flips to parking/tail lights does it...