RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Update: Alenzas @ 15,000

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 03:32 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Update: Alenzas @ 15,000

A short follow-up on my Bridgestone Alenza's (235/55-18) which have just turned 15,000 miles. Handling and noise are still good. I had several opportunities to run in deep snow (10"-12") this winter and they handled it with aplomb. I never had a worry of getting stuck or sliding around a corner.

The real story is that treadwear is outstanding. These tires started life with 12/32nds tread depth and are now at 10-1/2 32nds " That's 1-1/2 32nd of wear for 15,000 miles. At this rate these tires should see well more than their 65,000 treadlife warranty. I remain happy with the purchase. I'll update again at 30k.

I recall how much I hated my OEM Goodyears at 15,000 so this tire is a marked improvement.
Old 04-28-09, 09:52 AM
flomojo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your update. I also have the same tires, but am having to change them out after 45k. The tread significantly worn more on the outer edges which typically indicates under inflation. I kept them at about 36psi and I think the max rating is 51. Tried higher psi's but the ride became hard and noisy IMO. I think I may have only rotated them 4x throughout that mileage, so that also contributed to the premature treadwear.

What psi are you keeping yours at?

I'm now considering going 255/55/18's Sumitomo HTR4 Sports with 5 mm spacers. Someone said these work and I've always fealt the 235/55's looked too small.

Anyone else have success going bigger?
Old 04-28-09, 10:21 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by flomojo
Thanks for your update. I also have the same tires, but am having to change them out after 45k. The tread significantly worn more on the outer edges which typically indicates under inflation. I kept them at about 36psi and I think the max rating is 51. Tried higher psi's but the ride became hard and noisy IMO. I think I may have only rotated them 4x throughout that mileage, so that also contributed to the premature treadwear.

What psi are you keeping yours at?
I keep them at 32PSI.
Old 04-28-09, 01:20 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

34 psi here. Little hard ride, but good mileage.
Old 04-28-09, 02:06 PM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had my RX350 for 2 weeks and it had the Michelin Energys on it with decent tread on them but had to replace due to sidewall damage.

I just put 4 new Bridgestone Alenzas on yesterday. Heres my observation:

Michelins were a softer quiter ride. Alenzas are louder than I expected but cornering feels great. I may have to go back and have the balancing re-done because i get a very slight vibration at medium speeds which may be adding to the noise, so once i get that taken care of ill post if the noise goes down a little.
Old 04-28-09, 06:47 PM
Dave_S.
Rookie

I've got about 28,000 on my Alenzas and they are wearing great. Handle very good in deep snow. I recommend them.
Dave S.
Old 05-21-09, 11:21 AM
ricasoli
Driver School Candidate

Default Alenza tires

I noticed very positive comments about the Dual Alenza tires, but how about them in hot weather? I am interested but notice that all replys regarding these tire refer to great reviews in snow conditions. I have Michelins and need to replace very soon. I like the quite ride.I ould like a little wider look.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 05-22-09, 07:09 AM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ricasoli
I noticed very positive comments about the Dual Alenza tires, but how about them in hot weather? I am interested but notice that all replys regarding these tire refer to great reviews in snow conditions. I have Michelins and need to replace very soon. I like the quite ride.I ould like a little wider look.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
If you liked the ride and sound level of the Michelins, stick with that brand. Don't worry about using an all season tire in warm climates. "All season" means the tire was designed to be used in all weather conditions. If you want a wider tire, you'll need different wheels.
Old 05-22-09, 03:07 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by jayvis
If you liked the ride and sound level of the Michelins, stick with that brand. Don't worry about using an all season tire in warm climates. "All season" means the tire was designed to be used in all weather conditions. If you want a wider tire, you'll need different wheels.
Just a FYI, you don't need to get different wheels to go to a wider tire within reason.

The Alenzas had a tread width 1.2" wider than the same sized Goodyear OEM 235/55/18. The Goodyear had the same sidewall width but the tread contact patch was narrower. I don't see the Michelin tread width published so I can't compare them.

I can say that after driving both the Michelin and the Alenzas, I opted for the Alenzas and am quite happy with them. Both are quiet. The Alenzas handle better in dry, wet or snowy conditions, IMO, and has a treadlife warranty that Michelin does not.
Old 05-26-09, 08:06 AM
xanthax
Driver School Candidate

I need to change my tires, and live in Toronto. I called three tire shops and they all suggested the Michelin tires. Do I go against their opinion, or is it that the weather here being crap, needs Michelin tires.
One guy said you cant put a better tire than Michelin on your car.
what do you guys think.
Old 05-26-09, 07:23 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love using the Alenzas in the winter and wet weather. They give you a ride of confidence as they hold the road. In other weather they're fine and corner well, too. I like them better than the Michelins. They are slightly noisier and take a gallon off the mpg.
Old 05-27-09, 07:26 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by xanthax
I need to change my tires, and live in Toronto. I called three tire shops and they all suggested the Michelin tires. Do I go against their opinion, or is it that the weather here being crap, needs Michelin tires.
One guy said you cant put a better tire than Michelin on your car.
what do you guys think.
Pretty silly to be listening to a tire shop's suggestion. I mean their job is to sell tires and they are probably trying to move the most expensive ones.

Personally, I'm gonna go with Alenza's...they seem to have really good reviews from everyone.
Old 05-28-09, 07:11 PM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove through heavy rain for 3 hours in Georgia this past weekend with the Alenzas at highway speeds. EXCELLENT tires, I am totally sold on these. gripped the road perfectly, very safe tires.
Old 05-28-09, 10:02 PM
Sunapollo
Rookie

I'll definitely switch to these tires after the current Michellin ones worn out
Old 06-03-09, 04:57 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

My 2005 RX330 Thundercloud came with the Michelin MXV4's which I did like for ride and quiet. They did fair in snowy conditions for the first two winters (tread was still fair). I did change over to the Alenza's when the Michelins hit the 32K mark and winter was coming. I've been very pleased with the Alenza's. They are reasonably quiet and the ride is still very good. You might feel the little cracks and seams in the road a bit more in the Alenza's over the Michelins. I went with the Alenza's because I wanted a tire that would take the snow and ice better than the Michelin and also last longer.

This past week I was in Boise, ID visiting my daughters and had Lexus of Boise do the service. The tech noted that my tires were in very good condition with little treadwear. He asked how may miles on I had on them and I told him it was about 18K and had put them on in Oct. of 2007. He couldn't believe that I had 18K on them. I usually run them at around 32 to 34 psi.

IMO they handle better than the Michelins and as for all weather they have done great on ice and snow here in ND. This past winter was a very snowy one for us with more than twice our normal. We had 90 inches of snow this winter and on several occasions it was 4,5 or even 6 inches at a time. The RX went thru the snow just fine. Glad I got them.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist with Grey/Black interior and Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, ML, HID with AFS, Rain sensing wipers, Tow Package with OEM hitch, 18 inch Thundercloud rims with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas.
1998 GS300 Previous and first Lexus.

Quick Reply: Update: Alenzas @ 15,000