RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

When shifting from 'P' to 'D'...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-09, 05:32 PM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When shifting from 'P' to 'D'...

...How much of a "bump" do you feel? The reason i ask is im still getting used to some of the things my RX does and since I bought it used Im not sure if its a problem or not. When I shift from Park to Drive theres a pronounced bump as it tries to move forward while ive got my foot on the brake. Its interesting because when I shift from Park to Reveres the bump is much less. Thoughts? Any ideas if flushing the ATF would make this better or worse?
Old 05-03-09, 07:29 AM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

It sounds to me like your idle could be set too high.
Old 05-03-09, 08:41 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I think too, isn't that a computer issue??
Old 05-03-09, 09:19 AM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

A proper comparison should be "N" -> "D" vs "N" ->"R" or the opposite cases. Also need to elaborate on stick shift reluctance or vehicle jerk or both.

To start with, the idle needs to be correct 600-700 rpm.
Vehicle must be on a flat surface.

The brake bands in the transmission, can hold the gears in tension if the vehicle is on a slope, resulting in hard shift.

Then there is a difference in power transfer between 1st and reverse gear.
The reluctance to move is also different due to brake/weight in forward vs reverse [more pronounced in AWD.

Salim
Old 05-03-09, 03:56 PM
hesham1
Driver

No problems moving the shifter... It is a vehicle jerk when moving into 'D'

The idle seems to be just fine when warm at around 700 rpm. when the engine is cold its about 1200-1300 (i dont really remember this is just a guess) and the jerk is slightly more pronounced but i understand that would be normal for that situation.

This occurs on flat surfaces. It occurs also when moving from 'R' to 'D' or 'N' to 'D'... Since the car has 53,000 miles on it should I just ask a Lexus dealer to check it out? Ive read elsewhere that mounts could also be a problem but I find that difficult to believe since the vehicle is less 3 years old.
Old 05-03-09, 05:45 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hesham1
No problems moving the shifter... It is a vehicle jerk when moving into 'D'

The idle seems to be just fine when warm at around 700 rpm. when the engine is cold its about 1200-1300 (i dont really remember this is just a guess) and the jerk is slightly more pronounced but i understand that would be normal for that situation.

This occurs on flat surfaces. It occurs also when moving from 'R' to 'D' or 'N' to 'D'... Since the car has 53,000 miles on it should I just ask a Lexus dealer to check it out? Ive read elsewhere that mounts could also be a problem but I find that difficult to believe since the vehicle is less 3 years old.
Was your right foot slightly pressed on accelerator during N to D ?? and Did you not come to a complete stop during R to D ? this would cause the jerk.
Old 05-03-09, 05:59 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

maybe his tranny is starting to fail?? higher mileage older cars usually jerk a little harder than normal. Try flushing the transmission fluid, maybe its long overdue...
Old 05-04-09, 05:02 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iKon_RX
maybe his tranny is starting to fail?? higher mileage older cars usually jerk a little harder than normal. Try flushing the transmission fluid, maybe its long overdue...
Great place to start, - new, clean fluid could be just the right answer.
Old 05-04-09, 06:07 AM
hesham1
Driver

car is always at a complete stop.

ATF- this is the issue im dealing with the moment. its not long overdue, because its not supposed to be changed for the life of the car unless your towing. I just went to the lexus website and looked up the service history, and its been serviced on time and followed the maintenance schedule perfectly (i didnt know this before so thats great piece of mind). Anyway since the powertrain is still under warranty can i just have the lexus dealer look at it or will they say its normal?
Old 05-04-09, 08:42 AM
steiner
Driver

...How much of a "bump" do you feel? The reason i ask is im still getting used to some of the things my RX does and since I bought it used Im not sure if its a problem or not. When I shift from Park to Drive theres a pronounced bump as it tries to move forward while ive got my foot on the brake. Its interesting because when I shift from Park to Reveres the bump is much less. Thoughts? Any ideas if flushing the ATF would make this better or worse?
This is the first sign of a tranny failure. From this point on, you might have 6 months to a year, depending of course on other factors. If it is under warranty, you want to take care of it ASAP.
Old 05-04-09, 09:23 AM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

The OP notes that his car has 57,000 miles and is less than 3 years old. The basic warranty expired at 50,000 miles, but the "drive train" warranty is 6 years or 60,000 miles, and "drive train" includes the transmission.
In other words, transmission problems are clearly covered by the new car warranty, so rather than fussing with transmission fluid or other self-fixes, it's time to take the car to the dealer and have the transmission looked at; if the problem is there, it will be repaired or replaced under warranty.
If it is not covered, the dealer will give you his diagnosis and the cost of repair (since non-drive-train items are no longer covered).
This seems like the obvious and simple and free next step.
Old 05-05-09, 10:03 PM
mmikulak
Driver School Candidate

Do you park on a hill? Do you put the e-brake on BEFORE putting it in park?

MUX in AZ
Old 05-06-09, 05:47 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
The OP notes that his car has 57,000 miles and is less than 3 years old. The basic warranty expired at 50,000 miles, but the "drive train" warranty is 6 years or 60,000 miles, and "drive train" includes the transmission.
In other words, transmission problems are clearly covered by the new car warranty, so rather than fussing with transmission fluid or other self-fixes, it's time to take the car to the dealer and have the transmission looked at; if the problem is there, it will be repaired or replaced under warranty.
If it is not covered, the dealer will give you his diagnosis and the cost of repair (since non-drive-train items are no longer covered).
This seems like the obvious and simple and free next step.
GREAT IDEA. If u report this before the 60K mark at least your on record with Lexus which could help down the line.
Old 05-06-09, 01:08 PM
Boognish
Driver

Originally Posted by mmikulak
Do you park on a hill? Do you put the e-brake on BEFORE putting it in park?

MUX in AZ
That was my first thought. My wife never sets the brake on our inclined driveway and it is noticeable when going from P to R or D.
Old 05-06-09, 05:37 PM
hesham1
Driver

its all flat surfaces here where I happen to be. The jerk is slight, and the transmission shifts through all the gears nicely, although there is that "hunt" sometimes when you really step on it and it downshifts but thats been address in another thread as normal for the RX. So Im thinking if I take it to the dealer they will just say its fine... but ill try anyway