RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 06:14 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Remote Starter

I am thinking about putting a remote starter in my "new to me" 2006 RX. But I worry about it messing up the complex remote/security system. Anyone done this? Pitfalls? Products to avoid or to be recommended?
Old 05-14-09, 01:43 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did see some integrated system and uses a DEI bypass module ( you will need to put your valet key in there ) You can then remote start your car from your master key
pushing the unlock button 3 times.

this is the remote start module
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...9357QQtcZphoto

Bypass module
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

If you email the seller, he will give you a deal of $109 + shipping.

I wanted to do this package but have not purchase the parts to do it yet because I have way too much work to do with my 4 months old baby, maybe later down the road.
Old 05-15-09, 06:19 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

My dealer's service manager, who has always given me good advice, strongly advised against an aftermarket remote starter; many of the ones he has seen installed played havoc with the very complex electronics in the car, including exterior and interior lights, radio, etc. He was a strong advocate for a factory installed, Lexus approved system, which is available on the '10 RX for the first time.
I would love to have one, but I followed his advice and am going without. Eventually I will get a '10 or an '11, and I can wait.
Old 05-15-09, 09:41 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
My dealer's service manager, who has always given me good advice, strongly advised against an aftermarket remote starter; many of the ones he has seen installed played havoc with the very complex electronics in the car, including exterior and interior lights, radio, etc. He was a strong advocate for a factory installed, Lexus approved system, which is available on the '10 RX for the first time.
I would love to have one, but I followed his advice and am going without. Eventually I will get a '10 or an '11, and I can wait.
Dealer service manager's always going tell you not to get anything aftermarket and buy factory. I like the factory remote starter too except the engine shuts off when you unlock your car, which is not helpful at all. A lot of aftermarket remote start works well too but yes they do need a valet key in for bypass which is a drag. I say whatever floats your boat.
Old 05-15-09, 12:59 PM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

It's "not helpful" that the new remote start shuts off the engine when you open the door, but the remote start has, by that time, served its purpose by warming up the car on a cold morning. This is probably necessary to a higher level of anti-theft security, but since you have the real key in your pocket, a restart of a warm engine only entails pushing a big white button for one second, something I could live with.
Adding complex aftermarket electronics to an electronically complex car, and keeping a permanent key chip in the vicinity of the ignition, thereby removing a major level of anti-theft protection, is more than I am willing to do for a few remote starts, which is why I welcome the new factory system.
Old 05-16-09, 03:21 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Ok, I had an Audiovox remote starter installed by an aftermarket place recommended by my dealer. I did have to give up the valet key, as you guys pointed out. It works great, however and I am very satisfied. Range is about 1500 feet...about 5 football fields. You have to insert the key into the door (to unlock) and into the ignition when you get to the pre-started car. Not a big deal. This is gonna be great on hot summer days and esp on freezing winter evenings (sitting out all day at my wife's work).
Old 05-16-09, 05:45 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be advised that there is sufficient evidence that extended idle times, such as when a remote starter is used to warm up the engine, can actually reduce engine life. It is generally suggested that optimum engine life can be obtained by starting the vehicle, letting it idle for 30 seconds or so and then driving off. Of course, keeping the rpms reduced until normal operating temperatures also helps.
Old 05-16-09, 06:58 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Tell my wife that when it's 5 below zero with 20 below wind chill and the car is frozen solid after a long day at work.
Old 05-17-09, 07:20 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
Tell my wife that when it's 5 below zero with 20 below wind chill and the car is frozen solid after a long day at work.
No thanks. I can only handle one wife and she barely listens to me on car stuff.
Old 05-17-09, 10:06 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I rest my case!
Old 05-30-09, 09:04 PM
Dan L
Driver School Candidate

Don't bother with the add-on starters that use the factory remote (pressing unlock 3 times, etc.), they won't work well on the RX. As mentioned, you'll lose your keyless entry ability because the car won't respond to the keyfob once started. Use a full standalone system with its own remotes.

Also, there are different bypass modules that don't require a key to be left in, I used one when I installed my starter.
Old 06-01-09, 11:02 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dan L
you'll lose your keyless entry ability because the car won't respond to the keyfob once started .

No you don't lose the ability of keyless entry. This is just an option without having to invest lots of money on installing a complete alarm systems. The parts for an alarm system is not expensive but the labor to do it right, is not.
When you have aftermarket alarm install, the factory immobilizer also gets disable.
Old 06-01-09, 11:25 PM
Dan L
Driver School Candidate

Yes, you do. Once started, the RX won't respond to the factory remote. You have to unlock the doors manually. I know because I tried to use an add-on starter. Everything worked except that, so I wound up having to get the extra parts to convert my add-on starter to a full starter/entry system. This is a common problem with a lot of the newer vehicles, not just the Lexus. You don't have to install a complete alarm system, just a keyless/remote starter. The OEM RX alarm is activated and deactivated by the door locks, so you can keep it active.
Old 06-03-09, 02:08 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

I stand corrected, I was only stating what the reseller told me but I guess he is BSsssing
to make a sale
Old 06-05-09, 12:40 PM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer installed an Audiovox remote starter when I bought my RX. I paid a premium but didn't want any potential issues if something went wrong (one stop). The original version required me to stop the engine to enter the vehicle. Not very convenient. I had them upgrade the system (same price) to a full remote key fob that allows me to remotely unlock the doors while the engine is running. The factory key fob still works as long as the car hasn't been started via the remote. When I start the car remotely I use the Audiovox fob to open the doors (same as OEM - one push opens driver door, two pushes opens all doors, and another button to open the rear hatch). I also went with the option that allows me to start the car via an 800#. I've had no problems and would go with the same system if I had to do it all over again. And the installer did not need to use the valet key. The engine stops if I press the brake pedal if I don't insert the key into the ignition first.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter