RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Where is the wheel lock key?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 05:36 AM
Arbitrage1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the wheel lock key?

Hey all. Is there a special place where they like to keep the wheel lock key on these cars? I was looking around and I couldnt find it in the usual places (glove compartment, center console). I need to have a nail taken out of one of the tires, and theyre not going to be able to take the wheel off without the key. Thanks.
Old 06-03-09, 05:59 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

It's in the rear with the jack.
Old 06-03-09, 08:06 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

When I bought the RX [new from the dealer] it was zip tied to the lug-wrench [wheel brace ... English]. It is typically sold as a "add-on option" and along with the set of keys, you get a little metal token with the code for the pattern engraved/stamped on it.

After first use, I keep it in the mini-tool bag. You will have to search for yours.

If it is lost, it can be reordered by digging up the code or going back to the dealer who sold the RX.

Depending on where you park, the key is a minor deterrent. Hardcore criminals can break the lug-bolt to get to the rims. So you may opt for just the regular nut.

Hint: Always torque the keyed nut last and remove it first when working on wheels. The inset pattern can strip easily on an overtightened nut.

Salim

PS: Any time the RX goes to a shop and I think they will need the key, I take it out and place it in the cabin and tell them where it is and at pickup time, I personally put it back in the tool bag. This ensures that the key is not lost.

Last edited by salimshah; 06-03-09 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-06-09, 04:02 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
When I bought the RX [new from the dealer] it was zip tied to the lug-wrench [wheel brace ... English]. It is typically sold as a "add-on option" and along with the set of keys, you get a little metal token with the code for the pattern engraved/stamped on it.

After first use, I keep it in the mini-tool bag. You will have to search for yours.

If it is lost, it can be reordered by digging up the code or going back to the dealer who sold the RX.

Depending on where you park, the key is a minor deterrent. Hardcore criminals can break the lug-bolt to get to the rims. So you may opt for just the regular nut.

Hint: Always torque the keyed nut last and remove it first when working on wheels. The inset pattern can strip easily on an overtightened nut.

Salim

PS: Any time the RX goes to a shop and I think they will need the key, I take it out and place it in the cabin and tell them where it is and at pickup time, I personally put it back in the tool bag. This ensures that the key is not lost.
That's an excellent idea and I know the sevice techs appreciate it !
Old 06-07-09, 06:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I drop mine on the cup holder and they know where to look for it. Your service tech would normally ask you anyway.
Old 06-07-09, 10:39 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i think mine is in the back too with the spare an all the tools. If you have been the sole owner of the car, it will be in a nice leather pouch
Old 06-08-09, 06:21 AM
Arbitrage1
Driver

Thanks for the help. I'd never looked in the tire tools compartment before. I lifted up the carpet in the trunk, opened the compartment under there, and there was a leather pouch with the key inside.
Old 06-08-09, 06:45 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

See good things come to those who persist.
Old 06-08-09, 07:04 AM
salimshah

Every six months or so, one should check the air level in spare.

Salim
Old 06-09-09, 03:54 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Salim
Great idea, the spare is the most neglected PM item in the car.
Old 06-09-09, 09:44 AM
arima
Rookie

I was at the dealer yesterday for the 5000 mile service. the tech at the shop has a master key or something because he never opened the trunk to get the wheel lock key. I'm positive because I watched the tech through the big open glass in the waiting room. This was at the Rallye Lexus in Glen Cove, NY.
Old 06-09-09, 09:46 AM
arima
Rookie

Salim
isn't the spare tire also part of the tire pressure monitoring system?
Old 06-09-09, 10:00 AM
salimshah

Correct .. for the newer vehicles. The spare being low has given some owners a headache as they keep checking the regular 4.

Salim
Old 06-09-09, 10:04 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by arima
I was at the dealer yesterday for the 5000 mile service. the tech at the shop has a master key or something because he never opened the trunk to get the wheel lock key. I'm positive because I watched the tech through the big open glass in the waiting room. This was at the Rallye Lexus in Glen Cove, NY.
My wife once called "Lexus road-side help" for flat tire assistance and first they inquired about the wheel lock key, but they said their tech has something to open it in any case. I think one should not count on their ability and know where the key is.

Salim
Old 06-09-09, 10:21 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

The Key was right were the manual showed.

Quick Reply: Where is the wheel lock key?