RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

60K service questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 10:22 AM
Jack F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60K service questions

My wife's 04 Rx330 is coming due for a 60K service. We've taken quite good care of the vehicle and want to continue doing so, so that we can get about 125K out of it without maintenance related issues.

So far we have done the following:
Diff fluid: 15,30,45K
Transfer case fluid: 15,30K
Brake fluid: 30K
Transmission fluid: not changed
Coolant: not changed

I would like to have the transmission fluid changed since 60K seems a bit much and I don't quite believe in lifetime fluids.

Should I get all 5 changed? From an independent Toyota/Lexus shop, all 5 would be about $550. This would include a 16 low pressure flush of the transmission and a 2 gallon flush of the coolant.

Are there any reasons to just drain and fill the 4 quarts ot the trans fluid? It seems that keeping 12 qts of old fluid and adding 4 quarts new is not the best approach if I'm trying to get new fluid in there but I am curious to see what you guys recommend.

Which of the 5 are doable for me with some mechanical sense but never having changed any of these?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Jack F; 06-21-09 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-21-09, 09:01 PM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does that estimate include the cost of the toyota WS transmission fluid? As you know that stuff is not cheap (I think $15/quart), and if the shop tries to flush your tranny and put in a different type of fluid thats a big no no.
i am skeptical also about lifetime fluids, but hey, based on the logic of changing your tranny fluid now, you would also want to change your spark plugs right? and those are good for another 30K+... same goes with fuel filter (in the gas tank!) and some other low maintenance items. Trust in them...

also stick with OEM Toyota red coolant... its pure, with no sulfites, so it will not damage your water pump. all the aftermarket anti-freezes contain sulfites. of course this means nothing if your mechanic is not using in distilled water...
Old 06-21-09, 09:12 PM
Jack F
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.

THat cost is for all the fluids and labor. Its a shop in the Denver area that was started by 2 Toyota techs and only services Toyotas and Lexus vehicles. They only use Toyota parts so all should be good.

I guess I'll just do all the 5 fluids. I might call the local Lexus dealer and see if they'll match the price.

Thanks again.
Old 06-23-09, 10:00 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't heard many positive arguments for a flush vs just drain and fill. It would seem that a flush would remove more particulate but so far all I've heard are negative experiences or warnings.

Given that Lexus service seems to offer more expensive options, I was surprised that when I asked about flushing the transmission rather than drain and fill, they said they don't recommend flushing.
Old 06-23-09, 02:40 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

For the fluids:

1. Brake, you can do this yourself. Drain and fill.
2. Transfer case (Tranny), drain and fill. I do this every 15K. The fluid is always fresh, no need for flushing. Use Toyota T-IV fluid.
3. Power Steering, drain and fill. Use any Mercon III.
4. Diff fluid (AWD), drain and fill. ??
5. Coolant, 100K, use Long Life coolant by Toyota.

Save a ton of $$. The key is regular maintenance. Keep records.
Old 06-24-09, 12:21 PM
hesham1
Driver

mandy,

the rx350 specs for rear differential and transfer case is GL5 gear oil, 80w or 80w-90 (not sure if limited slip additive should be used but my local toyota dealer did it as per the highlander manual).

is the rx330 different on the transfer case requirement or were you just referring to the transmission (you specified T-IV)?
Old 06-25-09, 02:29 PM
mandyfig

Sorry, my RX330 is FWD, was talking about transmission. AWD would require the gear oil as you specified for the transfer case.
Old 06-27-09, 04:28 PM
bagsbie
Driver

I am at 47800 miles on my wife's newly (6 months ago) acquired off-lease '06 RX330. When purchased, I did the oil change (twice now, one just today), air filter and cabin filter, brake fluid flush with front brake pads replacement. I have not touched any other fluids but the manual calls for transfer case and differential oil change. In the AWD from what I read transmission and the front differential are combined and use the same ATF fluid, correct? If this is the case,I have a couple of questions:

1) What oil do I use and how much?
2) Do I use the same oil for rear differential and transfer case?

Thanks and sorry for noob questions...

Last edited by bagsbie; 06-27-09 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-28-09, 07:14 AM
bagsbie
Driver

Originally Posted by bagsbie
I am at 47800 miles on my wife's newly (6 months ago) acquired off-lease '06 RX330. When purchased, I did the oil change (twice now, one just today), air filter and cabin filter, brake fluid flush with front brake pads replacement. I have not touched any other fluids but the manual calls for transfer case and differential oil change. In the AWD from what I read transmission and the front differential are combined and use the same ATF fluid, correct? If this is the case,I have a couple of questions:

1) What oil do I use and how much?
2) Do I use the same oil for rear differential and transfer case?

Thanks and sorry for noob questions...
Found out the information I needed. Now I am just looking for an opinion/objection/reasoning. I would like to use Amsoil GL5 80w-90 synthetic gear oil for the transfer case and the differential. By virtue of this being a synthetic blend should it be better for the gear mechanisms? If so, should I extend the replacement interval then?
Old 06-28-09, 07:24 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hesham1
does that estimate include the cost of the toyota WS transmission fluid? As you know that stuff is not cheap (I think $15/quart), and if the shop tries to flush your tranny and put in a different type of fluid thats a big no no.
i am skeptical also about lifetime fluids, but hey, based on the logic of changing your tranny fluid now, you would also want to change your spark plugs right? and those are good for another 30K+... same goes with fuel filter (in the gas tank!) and some other low maintenance items. Trust in them...

Our 2004 RX330 calls for Type-IV fluid vice Toyota WS.
Old 06-28-09, 04:24 PM
hesham1
Driver

Originally Posted by bagsbie
Found out the information I needed. Now I am just looking for an opinion/objection/reasoning. I would like to use Amsoil GL5 80w-90 synthetic gear oil for the transfer case and the differential. By virtue of this being a synthetic blend should it be better for the gear mechanisms? If so, should I extend the replacement interval then?
the amsoil is great stuff and everyone swears by it. it definitely meets/exceeds oem standards and should last at least 30K miles (some will say up to 60K).

the only issue ive heard about making the switch to synthetic at this point is whether or not this may cause any leaks. theres an ongoing debate out there that the seals are worn in with the standard gear oils and when at higher mileage you introduce a more efficient synthetic oil, they will leak through. thats why most people make the switch before 25K.

do i believe this? i have no idea. the good news is im not aware of any common differential or transfer case failures in the RX, so if you stick to the standard gear oil you should be good...
Old 06-28-09, 06:10 PM
bagsbie
Driver

Thanks for an interesting insight, hesham1. I might give the switch a try and if I do encounter the leakage you are referring to I'll switch back to conventional/mineral oil. I just want to make the transition to fully synthetic fluids in the car. I live in NE and want to avoid doing anything to the car during winter months, yet want to ensure it is well fed and protected. I'll probably report back in this thread when I do and if I see the leaks.
Old 06-29-09, 05:49 AM
mandyfig

Changing over to syn should not be an issue. Go for it.
Old 06-29-09, 05:11 PM
bagsbie
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Changing over to syn should not be an issue. Go for it.
Thanks. I guess, I had already made up my mind on the switch and was just hoping to hear more reassurance.