RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Changing to Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 07:31 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Call me crazy, but if you talk to any educated oil people, they will tell you that the synthetic oil was developed to last as long as 30K. It does not brake apart from the temperature, it just gets dirty.
I'm sorry but that is incorrect. Synthetic oils wear out just like mineral oils however they are more resistant and do last longer generally. There are many measures of the resilience of oils such as TBN (Total Base Number), HTHS (High Temperature, High Shear) to name two. The higher the TBN, the greater an oils ability to suspend the byproducts of combustion. Typically, most oils have a TBN of between 8 - 10 and they are exhausted when their TBN reduces to 2 over time and usage. Short trips, high temps etc will all have an impact on the longevity of an oil. Continued high temps can cause an oil to "shear" down to a lighter weight eg from 5W30 to say 5W20.

The only way to really confirm how your oil is travelling is to have a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) conducted by a reputable company. That will allow you to see how the oil is travelling, your engine is wearing etc.
Old 07-17-09, 09:03 PM
Scottydog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some testing of Pennzoil yellow and synthetic platinum in my Jeep V8.

PP 5700 miles TBN 4.2
Dino Yellow 4500 miles TBN 3.1

The dino could have gone maybe 5500-6000 miles.
synthetic easily 6500 miles, maybe 8-9k.

No way PP would last 20,000-30,000 miles...

If you want to hear from educated oil guys go on bobistheoilguy.com . If I told those gurus my OCI was 20,000 miles they would spank me!

Last edited by Scottydog; 07-17-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 09:34 PM
LexFather

Big oil thread we had here with great info (like this thread)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...?highlight=oil

I traditionally have used Castrol in my Lexus vehicles with no issues. I've used regular, blend and full.

I recently tried Royal Purple and it seemed like good stuff.
Old 07-18-09, 12:38 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottydog
If you want to hear from educated oil guys go on bobistheoilguy.com . If I told those gurus my OCI was 20,000 miles they would spank me!
+ 1 I'm on that Forum as well

20K miles is huge and the damage to your engine............
Old 07-18-09, 11:04 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce
I'm sorry but that is incorrect.

The only way to really confirm how your oil is travelling is to have a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) conducted by a reputable company.
Thanks. I've never done that. I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-18-09, 11:05 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottydog
I

If you want to hear from educated oil guys go on bobistheoilguy.com .
I guess, I need to get more education on this matter.
Old 07-18-09, 05:50 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I guess, I need to get more education on this matter.
Hey arnieosp you're not alone, I've really learned alot about oil from this thread
Old 07-18-09, 06:58 PM
RMB350
Driver

Going 20k between oil changes is risky, especially in a daily driver. Where did you see oil that could last that long?? Hopefully it wasn't on a sham-wow Vince commercial..

Seriously, that doesn't sound right to me..
Old 07-18-09, 07:11 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by RMB350
Going 20k between oil changes is risky, especially in a daily driver. Where did you see oil that could last that long?? Hopefully it wasn't on a sham-wow Vince commercial..

Seriously, that doesn't sound right to me..
I go about 17k on my bimmer (change it when the car tells me to). At my fifth change, I did a UOI just to verify that everything was ok. They told me to keep using it. But I had already swapped it out, so no biggie. So it IS quite possible, though to be fair, it's designed for an extended interval and has a very deep sump (6.5Q of oil for a 2.5L I6).
Old 07-18-09, 07:30 PM
RMB350
Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
I go about 17k on my bimmer (change it when the car tells me to). At my fifth change, I did a UOI just to verify that everything was ok. They told me to keep using it. But I had already swapped it out, so no biggie. So it IS quite possible, though to be fair, it's designed for an extended interval and has a very deep sump (6.5Q of oil for a 2.5L I6).
Wow, that's a first for me.. I believe you though. It just sounds odd as it's so far from the norm.

Thanks for the info..
Old 07-19-09, 07:12 AM
Scottydog
Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
So it IS quite possible, though to be fair, it's designed for an extended interval and has a very deep sump (6.5Q of oil for a 2.5L I6).
A lot of the german cars have oversized sumps, like the mercedes 8.5 qt sump for a 3 liter v6. More oil means longer OCI. Following a service computer's timing on oil change should keep you out of trouble.

Different engines and driving conditions mean different OCIs. One can't assume that a synthetic oil that lasts 17,000 miles in a bmw will do the same in a lexus. As you found out the only way to safely extend OCIs is oil analysis.

I've attached a UOA from bitog for a RX330 using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. Blackstone recommended 7500 OCI. If you notice for 8600 mile oil change the TBN was down to 2.0 (minimum).

We're talking maybe 1-2 extra oil changes per year on a high end luxury suv. I spend more money at car washes than changing oil. We all know the 3k/3 month Jiffylube rule is overkill but...
Attached Thumbnails Changing to Mobil 1-lexus-rx330-110k.jpg  

Last edited by Scottydog; 07-19-09 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-07-09, 12:15 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Seems there's a strong consensus here to go w/ synthetic, but I was hoping there would be a better agreement on how long you can go in between oil changes if you're using Mobil 1. I bought my new 2008 IS 350 in January and the car is now at 11,100+ miles and due for an oil change. My last one was during the complimentary 5,000 miles scheduled maintenance service. I wanted to switch to Mobil 1 so that I can go up to 10k miles in between oil changes. My last car was an '04 Accord 4 cyl and I could go 10k miles in between oil changes on regular oil as per the manual. when I switched to Mobil 1, I still kept it right around that mileage.

I'm planning on buying a 5qt jug and taking it to the Lexus dealer because I'm leaving my car there anyways to have something checked out - I'm hoping they can just do the oil change on the cheap. There really isn't much else (from what I understand) that they can do on my car other than checking it out since tires can't be rotated.

But I would like to learn how to do my own oil changes so that I can keep the oil in there and just switch out the filter at 5k miles because it is my understanding that the filter would not last as long.
Old 08-07-09, 01:01 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Now that synthetic oil has gone down in price substantially, it is more practical...
I just purchased 4 cases (24 quarts) of Pennzoil Platinum for a total of $15.96. That's $0.665 a quart. I ordered all they had at that price. Came from Amazon with free shipping. Is this stealing?
I see they are now asking $6.49 a quart.
Old 08-07-09, 01:40 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Excuse me? How did you manage to do that? PP for $0.67/qt. You have to be dreaming....did the shipmemt come in yet? Bet you it will be cancelled. But if not, good for you!
Old 08-07-09, 02:16 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Excuse me? How did you manage to do that? PP for $0.67/qt. You have to be dreaming....did the shipmemt come in yet? Bet you it will be cancelled. But if not, good for you!
I think this was a case of being in the right place at the right time. And, no, I'm not dreaming. LOL. I thought it would be canceled too but the oil arrived on schedule. This oil was sold and shipped directly from Amazon and I see they don't directly handle this any longer. It's available from third party suppliers via Amazon now and for a lot more cash. I suspect this was a special price to close out the product. When I saw the price I didn't hesitate to take all they had. I'm pretty happy with this deal.

Just to maintain my credibility, here is the order:
4 "Pennzoil 5063686 Platinum Full Synthetic 10W30 Motor Oil - 1 Quart, Pack of 6" Automotive; $3.99

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
And here is the oil:

Geez, I love a great deal.

Quick Reply: Changing to Mobil 1