RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

About to buy RX330 - Side Mirror Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 10:48 PM
r4614
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About to buy RX330 - Side Mirror Problem??

Well, I'm trying to buy an RX330 and I've found 2 at the right price that have all the features I want. They're at different dealers, but both have the same quirky side mirrors... the power mirrors will adjust up and down, but not side to side. Weird that they both have the same problem...

Dealer A said he didn't know what was up with that. Dealer B said RX330s only have up and down power adjustments and you need to do the side-to-side adjustment manually. I may be a chick, but that doesn't make me stupid... there are side arrows on the mirror adjustment button and I imagine they're not just there for decoration!

I'm hoping someone can tell me what might cause this problem and how expensive the fix would be. Is the problem likely just with the mirrors themselves or might it be some big electrical nightmare that will cause other issues with the car? Would this problem be a deal breaker (the mirror problem, not the shady dealer problem!)?

Thanks!!
Old 07-07-09, 11:46 PM
Sunapollo
Rookie

Just keep looking until you find one that can be adjusted ... the mirrors should be 4 ways adjustable .. up down left right ... dealer B is lying to you so I won't go back to that dealer ... I bet it's not Lexus dealer ? otherwise they should know the problem.
Old 07-08-09, 06:13 AM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check to see that the mirrors are locked in place, a lot of times dealers fold the mirrors in for parking, and when they unfold them, they dont properly return them to the original position. if the mirrors are not in the proper extended position, the mirrors will no adjust in all 4 directions. this happened to me the other day coming out of a car wash.... hope this helps.
Old 07-08-09, 06:20 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hesham1
check to see that the mirrors are locked in place, a lot of times dealers fold the mirrors in for parking, and when they unfold them, they dont properly return them to the original position. if the mirrors are not in the proper extended position, the mirrors will no adjust in all 4 directions. this happened to me the other day coming out of a car wash.... hope this helps.
This problem happened two weeks ago to me, your solution is right on! As to the dealer who said the mirrors don't adjust left and right, I'd walk away quickly as he has no concept of telling a buyer the truth, he only wants a sale.
Old 07-08-09, 06:48 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

If you are ready to buy an RX330, get them to fix the issue. You do not want to be stuck with that issue. And yes you are right, the morons are putting one on you.

Unless you buy a CPO, where you need not worry, they will fix it under warranty.

An informed consumer is the best! Good luck with your hunt.
Old 07-08-09, 07:08 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, you need your side mirrors!

The mirror mechanism is very fragile, and is not conducive to you moving them by hand!

So it will be something you have to repair at the dealers, at a cost of probably $500-$1200 for each side that does not work (the higher if the actual mirror has to be replaced).

So have the used car dealer deduct the $2400 from the sell price, and you are good to go!
Old 07-08-09, 08:09 AM
r4614
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input... sounds like it might be an expensive fix if the problem isn't just that the mirrors aren't fully extended, so I really appreciate the prompt response from all of you!

I'm already a bit nervous about buying a used car, especially since I can only afford one with higher miles (60,000-80,000) and this experience has made me paranoid! I test every little **** and button when I'm in the car... I think I'm making the dealers crazy, but I don't want any expensive surprises!!

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...

Thanks again!
Old 07-08-09, 09:22 AM
mandyfig

The RX330 will be solid. Do not worry. Is this your 1st Lexus?
Old 07-08-09, 09:31 AM
r4614
Driver School Candidate

Yep, it's my first Lexus. Everyone I know that has them LOVES them, but I know repairs can be expensive, so I want to be sure I don't get one with issues!

Typically, when I've bought used cars in the past, they've only had 10-20,000 miles on them and I've had pretty good luck. I'm going on the theory that a Lexus with 60,000 miles might be the equivalent of another car with 20,000, since they're known for longevity and reliability.

Still nervous about buying, though... I guess at some point I'll have to make a leap of faith. Once I feel like I'm dealing with an HONEST dealer, that is!
Old 07-08-09, 01:32 PM
mandyfig

Key words...honest dealer...!! You will need LUCK in finding it. Do not get me wrong, there are good dealers out there. Unlike many years ago, the Premium dealers are no longer the exception, they are the norm.

In Japan, they truly believe in customer service. Hence the experience is quite different.
Old 07-08-09, 03:48 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
If you are ready to buy an RX330, get them to fix the issue. You do not want to be stuck with that issue. And yes you are right, the morons are putting one on you.

Unless you buy a CPO, where you need not worry, they will fix it under warranty.

An informed consumer is the best! Good luck with your hunt.
The entire side mirror is not covered under warranty, only the motor and relay
section. The cost for replacing an entire side mirror assembly at cost is $389
to reinstall doesn't take more than 30mins
Attached Thumbnails About to buy RX330 - Side Mirror Problem??-side-mirror.jpg  
Old 07-08-09, 05:32 PM
r4614
Driver School Candidate

More helpful info... thanks guys!!

A client has offered to switch cars with me for a few days so I can roll around in her RX300 to be sure I like it... talk about a great test drive! If the car passes the test (I'm sure it will!), I'm determined to find and buy one in the next couple of weeks, so send good vibes for ethical dealers and fully-functioning mirrors!!
Old 07-08-09, 08:13 PM
hesham1
Driver

theres a guy who just posted here who is selling his 04 RX330, with very low miles and a warranty.. I think hes in IL but shipping doesnt cost that much these days.
Old 07-08-09, 09:11 PM
r4614
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip... I'll check it out!
Old 07-09-09, 06:37 AM
js0l0
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same issue with my 2004 RX330. I just purchased the vehicle from a family member, and noticed in the Heat the mirror works a lot slower, or does not work at all (up/down or Left/right). I called my Lexus dealer, and since the car is under the Platinum extended warranty, they are going to replace both mirrors.

Quick Reply: About to buy RX330 - Side Mirror Problem??