RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 02:08 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisV
I bought the ATS running boards from someone from this forum and it's black. Since my car is Flint Mica and I'm not sure if the black color would look ok with the flint mica.... I just don't want to have the running boards repainted due to cost. What do you guys think of the color combo? I might want to sell my ATS running boards (black) together with the bracket hardware.
ChrisV,

Don't you have to remove the black plastic piece under the doors? Since that piece is black, I would the the black ATS running boards would blend in. Is the black gloosy or matte?
Old 08-12-09, 04:28 PM
secoweco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called ATS and they referred me to a place in San Jose, CA (since I live nearby) who would paint match and install. I have the car in flint mica and supposedly they said they could color match and install. I was going to order the custom ats running boards.

Redrocks, I think that flint mica is so dark that the black color would be okay. I saw a flint mica rx with black running boards the other day on the freeway and it looked really good.
Old 08-12-09, 04:39 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by secoweco
I called ATS and they referred me to a place in San Jose, CA (since I live nearby) who would paint match and install. I have the car in flint mica and supposedly they said they could color match and install. I was going to order the custom ats running boards.

Redrocks, I think that flint mica is so dark that the black color would be okay. I saw a flint mica rx with black running boards the other day on the freeway and it looked really good.
secoweco, good luck with it. Don' forget to post pictures.
Old 08-12-09, 04:40 PM
ChrisV
Driver School Candidate

Redrocks and Secoweco,

The running boards' color is glossy black and that's why I think it would look a little different on a flint mica body color. If it's a dull black like the plastic sideskirt then it would be ok. Since you guys saw the black running boards on a flint mica on the street and it looks good and it makes me feel better too. I think I'm going to install them within next week. Thanks again for the observation, input, and advices.....
Old 08-12-09, 05:24 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisV
Redrocks and Secoweco,

The running boards' color is glossy black and that's why I think it would look a little different on a flint mica body color. If it's a dull black like the plastic sideskirt then it would be ok. Since you guys saw the black running boards on a flint mica on the street and it looks good and it makes me feel better too. I think I'm going to install them within next week. Thanks again for the observation, input, and advices.....
ChrisV,

I agree glossy might "appear" different or not blending in as well as dull black, but it might look good. Another option, take a picture of your RX and a picture of the running board and then photoshop it together?
Old 08-13-09, 12:00 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Running Boards

CHRISV
If you look at the steps. Most of it is already black. Because of the black plastic step area.

The painted parts are the small stips along the edges. And the front and rear parts. Since your taking off the black piece already. I dont think it will look that much different.
Old 08-13-09, 08:25 AM
ChrisV
Driver School Candidate

Guys,

Enough being said, I'll have them installed and post some picture when done. Probably in the next couple of weeks. You guys are cool....
Old 08-13-09, 11:52 AM
secoweco
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback too guys. I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get them installed but still haven't decided with 100% conviction if the ATS Custom Boards are the ones I really want to get. I'm about 80% there though...
Old 08-13-09, 03:18 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Boards

Here is a picture from today of my Flint Mica ones.
Attached Thumbnails Running Boards-lexus1.jpg  
Old 08-13-09, 03:21 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Boards

Second Picture
Attached Thumbnails Running Boards-lexus2.jpg  
Old 08-14-09, 06:08 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great! How far do the running boards stick out from the side of the vehicle? Do you have problems brushing against pant legs?
Old 08-14-09, 06:30 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Boards

They stick out about the same as the doors. I never hit them getting in and out.
Old 08-15-09, 05:56 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KeysRx300
They stick out about the same as the doors. I never hit them getting in and out.
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-15-09, 08:15 PM
Dan L
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got chrome steps on mine (the wifes's, LOL) and love them. I step over them, but they really help the kids get in the car. Like you, the only thing I use them for is getting to the roof when cleaning the car.

Old 08-16-09, 05:05 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great! who's he manufacturer? Nice rims, too!

Quick Reply: Running Boards