RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Help check engine and VSC light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 04:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by usd121
ok so the two codes i got were P0430 and P0303. i took off the gas cap and also topped off the tank since the lights came on and they are still on. i put the medium grade gas in it, would that make any difference? anyway, ive only had the vehicle for about a week and am not too familiar with it yet so any help would be appreciated! thanks in advance!!
P0303 is related to the middle ignition coil on the rear bank. Usually when there is a dead or screwed up coil, you'll notice it and the CEL will blink. It could be that the spring on the coil itself is bad or a bad boot. When I have a bad coil, I usually remove it and switch it with another coil from one of the remaining 5, I check the codes and then I can verify by the code number if that is indeed a bad coil.

The last number P0303, 3 in this case refers to the back middle coil.

P0301-rear passenger side coil
P0302-front passenger side coil
P0303-rear middle coil
P0304-front middle coil
P0305-rear driver side coil
P0306-front driver side coil

For the front ones, you need to remove the engine cover. The example below is from my RX300 showing the 3 front coils. They are held in by a 10mm bolt.

P0430 is related to a catalyst being below efficiency. Does not mean your catalytic converter is screwed up, but probably to a misfire (which is what a P030X code is), the combustion is off and the sensor downstream is detecting a problem as a result, so seeing if the coil is a bust is the resolution here.

The back middle coil is going to be underneath the intake manifold on the backside of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails Help check engine and VSC light on-img_1715.jpg   Help check engine and VSC light on-ignition_coil.jpg  
Old 09-12-09, 05:18 PM
usd121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lights went off this morning.. should i still be worried about this? the vehicle hasn't been performing differently than before as far as i can tell.
Old 09-12-09, 07:41 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
P0303 is related to the middle ignition coil on the rear bank. Usually when there is a dead or screwed up coil, you'll notice it and the CEL will blink. It could be that the spring on the coil itself is bad or a bad boot. When I have a bad coil, I usually remove it and switch it with another coil from one of the remaining 5, I check the codes and then I can verify by the code number if that is indeed a bad coil.

The last number P0303, 3 in this case refers to the back middle coil.

P0301-rear passenger side coil
P0302-front passenger side coil
P0303-rear middle coil
P0304-front middle coil
P0305-rear driver side coil
P0306-front driver side coil

For the front ones, you need to remove the engine cover. The example below is from my RX300 showing the 3 front coils. They are held in by a 10mm bolt.

P0430 is related to a catalyst being below efficiency. Does not mean your catalytic converter is screwed up, but probably to a misfire (which is what a P030X code is), the combustion is off and the sensor downstream is detecting a problem as a result, so seeing if the coil is a bust is the resolution here.

The back middle coil is going to be underneath the intake manifold on the backside of the engine.
that sucks, I remember reading your(I think) DIY to change the spark plugs and it looked pretty damn hard to reach back there
Old 09-12-09, 07:55 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a misfire code (coil related) and you really need to get this fixed ASAP.
Old 09-13-09, 05:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

the lights went off this morning.. should i still be worried about this? the vehicle hasn't been performing differently than before as far as i can tell.
The lights can turn off if the condition is no longer detected. Could have been an issue with gas.
Old 09-13-09, 03:49 PM
usd121
Driver School Candidate

so unless they come back on I really shouldn't worry about it?

thanks for your help everyone
Old 09-13-09, 11:17 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

so unless they come back on I really shouldn't worry about it?

thanks for your help everyone
You should get a code reader and scan your car. Sometimes lights go off even if there is still a problem, but from what I've read it's usually after 2 weeks or something like that.
Old 09-14-09, 07:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The codes will still stay in the computer unless you clear them out with an OBDII scanner (or you can pull off the battery cables or remove the EFI fuse for a few seconds in the fuse box).

In addition, the CEL may not come on, but there are pending codes that can still be in the computer, meaning the condition is not sufficient enough to warrant an issue, but has been detected, and they can be read by most, but not all, OBDII scanners.

For now, don't worry about it.
Old 10-10-09, 08:18 AM
blautens
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by relax221
BOTH OF MY LIGHTS CAME ON AFTER FILLING UP AND TOPPING OFF THE GAS TANK WHILE THE IGNITION WAS RUNNING. I MADE AN APPOINTMENT WITH LEXUS ( 2 WEEKS ) AND THE LIGHTS WENT OFF BY THEMSELVES BEFORE THE APPOINTMENT !
Interesting coincidence - I was leaving the Lexus dealer after getting my oil changed (while refusing the hugely inflated 60,000 mile service), pulled across the street and fueled up (leaving the engine running), and when I got back in, the Check Engine, VSC, and Traction Control lights were on. I took it back to the dealer and he said the O2 sensor was bad - $415 to replace it.

He said he reset the code and it came right back on, so he's sure it's bad.

I think I'm going to borrow my neighbor's scanner and see what the code says...

Very coincidental...
Old 10-10-09, 09:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Fueling with engine running

All 1996 or newer cars have a fuel system pressure sensor that monitors the fuel system for leaks. If the engine is running and you're fueling the vehicle you will likely cause some check engine warning light to come on. Codes will show PO442 or P0455.

It's also dangerous and illegal in most states to fuel your vehicle while running. Gasoline fumes are very volatile and any spark can ignite them. Your car has a bunch of spark plugs that under the right conditions can cause a spark outside of the engine. If you doubt this grab, hold of a spark plug wire and the engine while it's running and see if you feel anything. Your alternator is also producing sparks. Add gasoline vapor to this equation and you might wish you had read the sign on the pump that says to shut off your engine while fueling.

Fueling your vehicle while the engine is running is illegal in every state I've traveled in and to do so really leaves you holding the bag if something happens. You could cause serious injury and death to yourself or others and you could find yourself in jail or in the poor house as a result. Not really the brightest thing to do, IMO.

http://www.pei.org/PublicationsResou...1/Default.aspx

Also this from Perdue:
Purdue University compiled a detailed list of behaviors to follow while pumping gas that reiterates, and adds to, that of PEI (above.)
1. Always turn off your vehicle engine while refueling.
2. Stay near the vehicle fueling point during the process.
3. Never smoke, light matches, or use lighters while refueling.
4. Cellular phones and other electronic devices may have the potential to emit electrical charges, and should therefore be left in the vehicle during fueling. (There have been no reported fires due to cell phone use.)
5. Do not get back into your vehicle during refueling – even when using the nozzle’s automatic hold-open latch. If you must re-enter your vehicle, discharge static electricity buildup when you get out by touching the outside metal portion of your vehicle, away from the filling point, before attempting to remove the nozzle.
6. To avoid gasoline spills, do not overfill or top off your tank. The fuel dispenser will shut off automatically when the tank is full.
7. Use only the hold-open latch provided on the gasoline nozzle. Never jam or force the hold-open latch open by using some other object, such as the gas cap.
8. When dispensing gasoline into a portable gasoline can, use only an approved container. Always place the container on the ground and keep the pump nozzle in contact with the container when refueling to avoid a static electricity ignition of fuel vapors. Containers should never be filled inside a vehicle, in the trunk, on the bed of a pickup or flatbed truck, or on the floor of a trailer. The bed of the truck and the bed liner act as insulators, as does the carpeting in a car or in its trunk, which may allow static electricity to build up in the can while it is being filled. That static electricity could create a spark between the container and the fuel nozzle.
9. If a flash fire occurs during refueling, you should leave the nozzle in the vehicle fill pipe and back away from the vehicle. Notify the station attendant at once so that all dispensing devices and pumps can be shut off with emergency controls. If the facility is unattended, use the emergency intercom to summon help and the emergency shutdown button to shut off the pump. http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/extension/...ndout-long.pdf
Cellular telephones are also very dangerous when used in an area where fuel is being dispensed. A static field surrounds the cell phone and user. This can set up a catastrophic event during the times you are refueling. Bottom line, do not use your cell phone anytime you are refueling your vehicle. If you must use that cellular phone, then do not refuel your vehicle. www.army.mil/des/FuelandStaticElectricity.doc
Old 10-10-09, 12:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by blautens
Interesting coincidence - I was leaving the Lexus dealer after getting my oil changed (while refusing the hugely inflated 60,000 mile service), pulled across the street and fueled up (leaving the engine running), and when I got back in, the Check Engine, VSC, and Traction Control lights were on. I took it back to the dealer and he said the O2 sensor was bad - $415 to replace it.

He said he reset the code and it came right back on, so he's sure it's bad.

I think I'm going to borrow my neighbor's scanner and see what the code says...

Very coincidental...
I had the same exact thing happen to me but after driving nearly 37 miles home. I returned to the dealer and was told it was something the tech failed to do after servicing the car. The O2 sensor was replaced no charge under extended warranty.

Last edited by kitlz; 10-10-09 at 12:13 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-31-09, 07:56 PM
hurryhurry
Driver School Candidate

hi, sorry to bump this thread.

my 08 RX350 is having this problem as well. Check Engline light, VSC light, and a TCS type light all came on. the car only has 21K miles.. i am looking to bringing the car to Lexus dealer to get it looked at..

we didnt drive through any puddles or potholes to trigger the lights. is this covered under warranty? if coil pack, O2 sensor, or throttle body related parts needs to be replaced, are these all covered under warranty?

this seems like a major mechanical problem if all these lights pop up at once..

thanks.
Old 10-31-09, 09:26 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Please, let us know what the dealer says. So far I've heard several possible reasons: loose gas tank cap, bad brake light switch, bad CO2 sensor.
Old 11-01-09, 07:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hurryhurry
hi, sorry to bump this thread.

my 08 RX350 is having this problem as well. Check Engline light, VSC light, and a TCS type light all came on. the car only has 21K miles.. i am looking to bringing the car to Lexus dealer to get it looked at..

we didnt drive through any puddles or potholes to trigger the lights. is this covered under warranty? if coil pack, O2 sensor, or throttle body related parts needs to be replaced, are these all covered under warranty?

this seems like a major mechanical problem if all these lights pop up at once..

thanks.
It should be covered, and especially if it is emissions related as there is an 8 year/80K emissions warranty (whichever comes first).
Old 01-21-10, 06:34 AM
bagsbie
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
...me like see screen shots...please post!
I did not forget. A bag with my laptop, cables and software were stolen a few months ago! Yep, I lucked out and was able to get almost everything back! Anyway, I'll see if I can grab a few screenshots this upcoming weekend...

Quick Reply: Help check engine and VSC light on