RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navigation DVD Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 05:22 PM
paulsmits1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation DVD Update

I have a 2008 RX 350 with naivigation.

Should I be updating my navigation dvd? If so, what are the benefits and the cost?
Old 09-09-09, 08:06 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it really depends on how you use your system. Presumably your 08 has dvd v 7 in it. V 9 is out now so there is a 2 year newer disc available. The newer dvds will simply have any new roads, addresses, points of interest (retail stores by name etc) that have gone online in the areas you drive since your original dvd was made. If you primarily input direct addresses, I don't think it's worth it as your existing system should work just fine. If you commonly search for stuff by name and there has been a lot of new development in the areas you drive, then maybe so. Anything brand new near you may not be on the latest disc, it may take anohter year depending on timing. Being worth it is very much a judgement call.

The latest dvd will cost about $200 to $250. I think i recently saw it for $200 but I don't recall if that included a $50 rebate for turning in the prior year's dvd or not. Installing it is easy and you shouldn't pay for that. It's as simple as ejecting the old dvd from the player and feeding in the new one. DVD player is under the tool tray underneath the carpet of the cargo area.
Old 09-10-09, 06:02 AM
paulsmits1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. My dvd version is 6.1. Not sure why such an old version was installed.
Old 09-10-09, 07:29 AM
tfischer

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

The ver 6.1 disc was surely put into the drive when the car was manufactured, before the ver 7.1 disc was in production (usually Sept but sometimes as late as October). Your need to update is commensurate with your travel agenda; I replace mine every 2 to 4 years, more or less.
Old 09-27-09, 05:28 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

Originally Posted by paulsmits1
Thanks. My dvd version is 6.1. Not sure why such an old version was installed.
I have the 2008 model also.(purchased in 07) Mine came with the 6.1 version. I purchased the 9.1 version this month at my local dealer for 199 and put it in myself.
Old 09-28-09, 03:17 PM
srm47
Driver School Candidate

Is installing the Nav DVD in the rear cargo area as simple as ejecting the old DVD and inserting the new DVD?

My dealer wants $150 for the installation labor.
Old 09-28-09, 04:52 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DVD Update

They have to charge 150 dollars to install the DVD. Its because of all the work they do. First they have to open the dvd package. Then open the trunk and pull up the carpet. Press the eject button. Then drink a coffee while they wait for the disc to eject.

Then once the disc is installed they put the car back togther. Then they have to input all of the work into the computer for billing.
Old 09-28-09, 05:40 PM
Claude7629
Rookie

Originally Posted by srm47
Is installing the Nav DVD in the rear cargo area as simple as ejecting the old DVD and inserting the new DVD?

My dealer wants $150 for the installation labor.

1) Remove rear tool tray( NAV DVD player is underneath)
a)fold down rear seats
b)find velcro tabs on each side of rear tray cover where it meets back seats
c)lift velcro tabs
d)slide fingers gently along edge where rear cover meets rear seats to release 5 plastic push pins.
e)Use 12mm socket to remove the 2 now visible hinge bolts
f)remove tool tray cover
g) remove tool tray, There are 2 black push pin on both sides that pry up easily. NAV DVD player should now be visible on passenger side
2) Put ignition in ACC position
3) If there is a dust cover on unit remove it. Mine did not have this. Some do.
4) There should be a "slide type button" on your left of the unit. Slide this button to your left(facing unit). DVD should eject
5) Insert new DVD
6) Slide button back to original position
7) allow NAV to update before turning off ignition( check NAV Screen)
8) Reassemble in reverse order.

Hope this helps. I just replaced mine in a 2008 RX. It may sound like a lot , but I was finished in 15 minutes.

Tip: If you are uncomfortable with DIYs, take your time and think it through.
Old 09-28-09, 06:41 PM
srm47
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again Claude, I posted the question on both boards for obvious reasons. Glad you checked them both.
Old 09-29-09, 07:24 AM
daltex
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 330 Nav System - DVD Eject Problem

Claude7629. I followed your instructions and got to the nav unit without any major issue. When I use the slide bar on left side of unit (with ignition setting ACC) , the access door opens but the current DVD does not eject. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Old 09-29-09, 07:39 AM
tfischer

Try it with the engine running; using the ACC position on the ignition switch is always inviting some kind of trouble. Also, many accessories are not powered up with ACC, but only at the ON position, which should never be used without actually running the engine.
Old 09-29-09, 08:12 AM
daltex
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I should have stated that I also tried getting disk ejected with the car actually running, but without success.
Old 09-29-09, 09:47 AM
tfischer

On my cars, sliding the access bar to the side reveals a recessed "eject" button; as I read the instructions, there is no mention of pressing this button. I have found that in situations like this, in low light where all the materials are black anyway, a flashlight is handy (if you have an iPhone, and who doesn't, there is an app for that).
Use a light and see if you have missed this step.
Old 09-29-09, 10:22 AM
daltex
Driver School Candidate

tfischer ... that did it! Thanks. You were right, I could not read any "eject" button, but with door open and I pushed it ... the disk finally came out. Thanks for your help, support and patience with my simple problem. I was being to understand why dealer would charge for it, but frankly a few simple instructions and it is easy. I would think many dealers would do it as a "courtesy service" for cars they sold. Heck, my dealer has a service rep who did not even want to tell me where to find the nav unit. Oh well, thanks again.
Old 09-29-09, 11:20 AM
tfischer

He probably did not know where to find the NAV unit.
If you can put a CD into the slot in the dash, you can put a DVD into the slot in the trunk. Just keep the engine running until the disc is fully read for the first time, as sometimes new elements are loaded into the operating system.
If a car is in the shop for something else, the shop should do this for free, as the incremental time involved is negligible.

Quick Reply: Navigation DVD Update