RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Paint peeling??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 06:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Mine was replaced but I think it was Dealer related. Not really Lexus warranty. Obviously they got paid for it but paint is not warranted but the 1st 12 months. Certainly customer satisfaction is key for Lexus and will probably repair yours.
Old 11-14-09, 01:51 PM
ecrane
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to bring this to the top with my story. Like Rookie we recently bought a 2007 RX350, still under warranty, for my wife. It is Bamboo in color and all four door handles and the trim piece on the rear hatch were faded as if the clear coat had failed. We brought it to Johnson Lexus in Raleigh for another concern and I mentioned the paint issues not really expecting them to do much as we hadn't bought it there and were not the original owners. The service adviser walked around the car and also noticed the rear view mirrors were faded in a couple of spots. I had noticed this but thought it was from pine sap which is a problem in NC. At any rate, they replaced all four door handles, the rear trim piece and both rear view mirrors under warranty. It goes without saying I was very impressed and quite happy. The service adviser said they had seen this before with the Bamboo color and called it it "delamination". They gave us a 2010 Lexus RX350 for a loaner for a couple of days to use while the parts came in.

I can't tell you how pleased we were with this experience...
Old 11-14-09, 03:55 PM
mandyfig

In my case they replaced the same things except the side mirrors. At that time the side mirrors were still ok. But a few months later the paint defect showed up. My warranty has expired.

Good for you!
Old 11-14-09, 04:37 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
In my case they replaced the same things except the side mirrors. At that time the side mirrors were still ok. But a few months later the paint defect showed up. My warranty has expired.
That's too bad because I know your color was very hard to come by way back when. Hopefully you can convince the dealer to replace them.
Old 01-04-12, 01:14 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

I have a 2004 rx 330 Bamboo Pearl as well, the paint is peeling off the mirrors really badly, being a 2004 the warranty is no longer in existence. Did Lexus ever notice this defect in the paint and offer to fix it? The car is always washed and waxed too so this is strange...
Old 01-04-12, 02:19 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ probably not, since you would've gotten a letter about a recall, or a notice on lexus.com [your account] with pending/do-able recalls for your car.

That's really strange that its happening on the Bamboo ones...
Old 01-04-12, 02:39 PM
ecrane
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gavinw35
I have a 2004 rx 330 Bamboo Pearl as well, the paint is peeling off the mirrors really badly, being a 2004 the warranty is no longer in existence. Did Lexus ever notice this defect in the paint and offer to fix it? The car is always washed and waxed too so this is strange...
Read post #17 above yours. My wife's car was still under warranty at the time. You're likely out of luck now but we had all four door handles, both mirrors and the painted trim on the rear deck replaced under warranty. We were pleased and surprised.
Old 01-07-12, 07:56 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's obviously a problem with that particular color. I have an '08 RX 350 and the paint is peeling off both outside mirrors. So far those are the only places......
Old 01-07-12, 08:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stevies30
It's obviously a problem with that particular color. I have an '08 RX 350 and the paint is peeling off both outside mirrors. So far those are the only places......
Perhaps a call to Lexus Corporate is in order. At least to let them know that "you" know there is a problem with this color vehicle. Just with the small sample of owners who read this forum with that color RX it seems problematic. Imagine if you were to get a bigger sampling of users how many problems you would find.
Old 01-08-12, 12:05 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, to be honest, I'm a Bamboo Pearl owner and I haven't had any issues at all. There are way too many factors to take into consideration when trying to figure out the cause. Could be poor prep, acid rain, contaminants, etc etc

You just gotta remember that most owners with no issues don't bother posting about it. Still, worth a try to send Lexus Corp an email or call
Old 01-09-12, 01:08 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Well, to be honest, I'm a Bamboo Pearl owner and I haven't had any issues at all. There are way too many factors to take into consideration when trying to figure out the cause. Could be poor prep, acid rain, contaminants, etc etc

You just gotta remember that most owners with no issues don't bother posting about it. Still, worth a try to send Lexus Corp an email or call
It seems the majority of us who have the Bamboo Pearl color and are experiencing paint peeling are seeing it on the mirrors more than anywhere else. That is more than a coincidence. Why are we noticing it more on the outside mirrors than on the hood or the roof? And it's not just one particular model year. There are many model years of this color that have been affected. Maybe we should do an informal survey of Bamboo Pearl owners, past and present and see just how prevalent the issue is. At least among those of us who read this thread

Last edited by stevies30; 01-09-12 at 01:12 PM. Reason: additional wording
Old 01-09-12, 01:33 PM
ecrane
Rookie

It seems the majority of us who have the Bamboo Pearl color and are experiencing paint peeling are seeing it on the mirrors more than anywhere else. That is more than a coincidence. Why are we noticing it more on the outside mirrors than on the hood or the roof? And it's not just one particular model year. There are many model years of this color that have been affected. Maybe we should do an informal survey of Bamboo Pearl owners, past and present and see just how prevalent the issue is. At least among those of us who read this thread
I've posted above about my wife's car. Actually the common denominator appears to be what I assume are plastic parts: outside mirrors, door handles, and that trim piece on the rear hatch. Lexus surely knows about it as our service adviser had seen it before and told me it was called "delamination".
Old 01-10-12, 10:02 AM
Gavinw35
Rookie

How would we go about contacting Lexus corporate with a solid number of rx's involved with this problem? I'm sure that the number of vehicles affected would have to be huge in order to get a recall. It just is definitely a bummer to see a $40,000 car having paint problems you see on old lower end vehicles. I would take it to a paint shop myself exept that it will most likely cost an arm and a leg for something that definitely shouldn't be happening.. Sun dammage ok but mine has always been garaged and I would like to say that I take pretty good care of it. This is a huge bummer that really needs to be addressed by Lexus :/
Old 01-10-12, 01:56 PM
mandyfig

I have seen severe fading on the trims on our 04 Bamboo Pearl. Now remember, trims are painted and supplied by outside sources, bot Toyota. Hence you will see door handles, side mirrors, door trims, rear hatch trim (the one below the chrome) fade.

I had the 2 side mirrors replaced under mechanical (faulty motor) warranty, hence new.

I had the door handles replaced under warranty (dealer mistakenly replaced a door handle (instead of an interior handle which was faulty) and the y ended up replacing the rest of the 3).

I had the trim on the rear hatch replaced since it was severely faded (within the 48 months warranty) and now it is faded again. The side mirrors, door handles are holding up.

However my trim pieces on the doors are just washed out. Been thinking of replacing them. They are just glued.

I thin today they are much better. But my 04 was the 1st production in the US so might have been some QC issues, I am just speculating.

All in all I think Toyota has learned that allowing these things to happen impacted Lexus' standing in being a forerunner in Quality.

They are saying they are posed to come back. Mercedes and BMW have had 20%+ increase in sales compared to -20% for Lexus.

Again press releases say, Lexus will take over again. Pretty much what happened to Acura 10 years ago.
Old 01-13-12, 03:14 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, I reiterate that it is an issue here. What happens here on the forums does not reflect the outside world. Another thing I should mention is that painting on different surfaces requires different formulations of paint. Flex additive may have a negative impact on certain color formulations as each different color requires a complex mix of chemicals to achieve the desired effect. It is only natural for plastic pieces to be affected more than metal bits due to chemical build up alone. I doubt BP is the only affected color as plenty of other makes can and will suffer from a similar fate

Quick Reply: Paint peeling??