RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Paint peeling??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 05:13 PM
MDRX330
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELITech
Alrighty, not to create a stir, but, there is a known problem with the Bamboo Pearl RX and the sideview mirrors and door handles.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll provide you with info
Can the dealer take care of a 2006 RX with fading issues on all handles?
Old 06-13-13, 06:06 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MDRX330
Can the dealer take care of a 2006 RX with fading issues on all handles?
Sure, but as you are long out of warranty and not the original owner you would be paying this out of your own pocket.
Old 06-13-13, 06:13 PM
MDRX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Sure, but as you are long out of warranty and not the original owner you would be paying this out of your own pocket.
Do you know what their remedy would be? Are they repainting or installing new handles?
Old 06-13-13, 06:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Do you know what their remedy would be? Are they repainting or installing new handles?
While some handles can be ordered pre-painted, not all colors are available. More than likely you would need to have them all repainted.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2006.html
Old 06-13-13, 06:45 PM
MDRX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
While some handles can be ordered pre-painted, not all colors are available. More than likely you would need to have them all repainted.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2006.html
Yep. I think I would have to get them repainted. I don't see Bamboo Pearl unless it has an another name.
Old 06-13-13, 06:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Yep. I think I would have to get them repainted. I don't see Bamboo Pearl unless it has an another name.
Read the full length of all the posts in this thread and search Bamboo Pearl here at CL, and you will see that color has had its problems with peeling in a number of areas not just the door handles.
Old 06-15-13, 11:24 AM
MDRX330
Rookie

I was out earlier today and saw a Bamboo Pearl RX330 with CHROME DOOR HANDLES. It looked really really nice. Didn't look cheap or ricey.

I'm now on the hunt for chrome door handles.
Old 06-20-13, 04:41 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, so I wasn't the only RX330 Bamboo Pearl owner facing this problem. Door handles, door side protector (?), etc... all peeling off.
Old 07-09-13, 07:29 PM
nhshorty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kdm
Wow, so I wasn't the only RX330 Bamboo Pearl owner facing this problem. Door handles, door side protector (?), etc... all peeling off.
No - you're not alone. I have a 2007 RX350 Bamboo Pearl and the paint is peeling and rolling off in large circles from the side mirrors....also paint gone from all the door handles.
Old 03-14-14, 01:42 PM
Jimmer6109
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Covered The Cost To Fix Paint Peeling...

After the paint started peeling off of my wife's RX, I read all of the posts about the Bamboo paint peeling off of the mirrors, door handles, and rear hatch bezel, and decided I had nothing to lose by taking the car into the dealer to find out what they could do to rectify the problem. Low and behold, they are replacing my driver's mirror as well as the rear bezel, both of which are almost clearcoat-less at this juncture, at no cost. They said it is a "one time deal to maintain customer satisfaction." I couldn't be happier that I asked. Well, I'm satisfied!! Lexus and I have had a rocky road thus far, but they are on their way to redemption in my book...
Old 03-14-14, 03:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jimmer6109
After the paint started peeling off of my wife's RX, I read all of the posts about the Bamboo paint peeling off of the mirrors, door handles, and rear hatch bezel, and decided I had nothing to lose by taking the car into the dealer to find out what they could do to rectify the problem. Low and behold, they are replacing my driver's mirror as well as the rear bezel, both of which are almost clearcoat-less at this juncture, at no cost. They said it is a "one time deal to maintain customer satisfaction." I couldn't be happier that I asked. Well, I'm satisfied!! Lexus and I have had a rocky road thus far, but they are on their way to redemption in my book...
Welcome to Club Lexus, Jimmer6109.

Sounds like you have a good dealership there. Perhaps it is the one in Central Bucks County?

This is one reason to be on good terms with your dealer and the service department. Regular customers can sometimes see service like this, going above and beyond, from the better shops. Wish it were so in this part of FL.
Old 03-29-14, 04:22 PM
gail228
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok...what about Blizzard Pearl?

Originally Posted by Jimmer6109
I've been noticing everyone talking about the Bamboo Pearl color, but has anyone had any peeling with the Blizzard Pearl color? I have an '04 GX470 and it's Blizzard Pearl..it is peeling bad. I'm just surprised because it's a Lexus. I just hope I have a positive response like some did on the forum. I have emailed corporate, with pictures. Wish me luck!
Old 03-29-14, 05:08 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gail228
I've been noticing everyone talking about the Bamboo Pearl color, but has anyone had any peeling with the Blizzard Pearl color? I have an '04 GX470 and it's Blizzard Pearl..it is peeling bad. I'm just surprised because it's a Lexus. I just hope I have a positive response like some did on the forum. I have emailed corporate, with pictures. Wish me luck!
Welcome to Club Lexus, gail228. Have not heard nor seen this personally, however you have posted in 2nd Generation RX. You might have better luck going to 1st Generation GX, have a look around, and post any questions there. Also, you will find the search tools here at CL to be your friend. There is a lot of existing information and most questions you might want to ask have already been discussed. So, search before creating a new thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eneration-218/
Old 08-09-14, 05:08 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Have a 2006 RX with the same problems with the peeling thing. Not surprised with other goofy problems I have had with the overpriced Toyota. Time to buy something else. No more RX' s for me....
Old 09-05-14, 02:14 PM
Georgia2AK
Driver School Candidate

So at this point Lexus has lost me as a customer. I have an 06 RX330 in the Bamboo pearl color with the same mirror and handle problems. We were ready to replace them ourselves until I did some research and saw that it's more than just me. We've been loyal Lexus drivers for years, but we don't buy new. We also don't have our cars serviced at Lexus dealerships. It's called being financially smart, in my opinion. After much back and forth with Lexus Corp, this works against us because as part of their case review they look at your service history and ownership. If this was an issue I caused, please feel free to treat me as a second class citizen. But my research and conversations with other bamboo pearl customers has led me to the conclusion this is a known problem by Lexus. Smells just like the headlight problems, but because it's limited by color we're a smaller group of 'squeeky wheels'.

For a luxury brand they certainly do not stand behind their product. It's almost rude to call it a goodwill gesture when they use inferior products in a luxury vehicle. The trim on my father's '03 Sebring looks better than the crap I'm stuck with now. We're purchasing another vehicle in the next 6 months and I've already told my husband to cross off the GX from the list. As much as I love Toyota and Lexus, I will not buy another after this.

I'm very disappointed with their response. I'm pondering bringing up this topic with an attorney friend of mine. I'm not litigious but this one just isn't sitting right with me. Maybe I'll just off load it, and get a Honda Just kidding...but I do wish I had not purchased this color vehicle. Such is life...

Quick Reply: Paint peeling??