RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Good / Bad Points

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 07:33 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Good / Bad Points

Hi All,

I am still going through the forums an google trying to figure out whether we should get an RX330 / RX350 (depending on $$$ at the end of the day). I have been reading some worrying issues with these cars. Being a Lexus owner (and having owned about 5 of them), this is starting to concern me.

Is it just a particular build of the RX that is causing the issues (i.e. ones built in Canada vs ones built in Japan)? What are the bad points of owning the car given maintenance, longevity, reliability?

What are the things that you have gone through to keep the RX on the road? How much has it cost you? I find it slightly disheartening to find that the RX does not appear to be as reliable as say my previous SC's from 1992, and my current 96 ES300.

The dash squeaks from what I am reading, will make me tear my hair out, and I don't want to go through that. The "booming" effect when the rear windows are down is also concerning me. Please give me honest feedback. I will continue to read through the other threads, but I wanted to get a snapshot in one thread.
Old 10-26-09, 11:23 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the 350. We had a 330 and there is such a big difference with the 350 it is unbeleviable.
Old 10-26-09, 01:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Yeah, 350 is the way to go. All things being equal.
Old 10-26-09, 02:51 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

I have the 330 and two issues that I have dealt with so far in the last six months of ownership is one the transmission jerking during shifts and today a radiator leak. Luckily both covered under warranty. I bought my 330 at 63k miles as a CPO. Other than these two issues my vehicle has been great. I do feel though the 330 is underpowered. I have not driven the 350 but probably wished I would have bought a 350 anyway but unfortunately it was out of my price range. I hope this helps.
Old 10-26-09, 06:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I have been in my Japan made 04 330 for six years with 49K miles. Major issues to date have been faulty rotors, condensation in both headlights and a driving light, O2 sensor, and battery replacement at 4 years. All of these items were covered under warranty/extended warranty. Recently I put on a second set of tires. Unfortunately they don't last long. But knock on wood, the car has been solid with no rattles, leaks or other problems.

The 350 has the extra horsepower and changes to the rims and door handles. Now I have driven a few as loaners and enjoyed them. There is a noticeable difference. If you can spend the extra money I'd go for it over the 330. Hopefully you can find one reasonably priced and still under warranty. Hope that helps.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-28-09, 10:02 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

I will tell you everything wrong now with my NY 04 AWD made-in-Ontario car (at 94.5k miles) and reasons why I would choose the 350 over the 330.

Transmission sometimes flares going down a decline once touching the brakes.
The transmission likes to go gear-hunting, but the throttle dies for a second before it clunks into play.
Starting today, my rain-sensing intermittent wipers oscillate significantly more frequently than before in a light-medium drizzle.
This car (apparently as well as an AWD Toyota Sienna) has a weird front transfer case that clicks oddly
Throttle leaves much to be desired by way of response.
Front driver's side weather seal failed a long time ago--there's no water leakage, but my car hisses from the door slightly when it's moving.
I rear-ended someone within 3 months of owning my car because my brakes failed (brake booster--among other components--recall <- found out too late) while I was stopped on a mildly steep hill.
The roof rack bars are broken (a recall I missed when warranty expired) and the coating on the rails is peeling.
My headlight has suffered condensation.
Under heavy load, the catalytic converters give off a sulfuric odor.
Audio head unit's ERROR 3 or 4.

Yes, it's the first production year. Maybe it's a fluke?

Anyway, why the 350?

More time to work out bugs and kinks
Additional gear for gas efficiency
More current
Chrome door pulls (just being honest)
This car exists in Japan, too (may come in handy somehow--maybe if tuning is your thing?)

Last edited by ho0n; 10-28-09 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 08:11 AM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problems at all with our 330 (wife drives it)
She does not complain or need the extra HP
It saved us quite a bit of $$, getting a 2004 330 loaded to the hilt instead of getting a 2007.

If you have the money, get the bigger engine.
If you want to save several grand, get a 330 and be happy.
Old 10-29-09, 08:54 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

My dad has a 330. We are in Canada, however this one is a made in Japan car.

Knock on wood, no issues [at ~80k KM;s 50K miles], simple maintenance.

The problems to date are, the HID's died [bound to happen with time] easy 100$ fix for an aftermarket kit
And people banging it up in the parking lot.
To me the trans does 'jerk' sometimes, however the direct relation to this i find, is it only happens when the car is still cold, after a few mins of driving it shifts smoothly.

The next car my dad is considering is trading this up for the Hybrid equivalent.
Old 10-29-09, 08:57 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
My dad has a 330. We are in Canada, however this one is a made in Japan car.

Knock on wood, no issues [at ~80k KM;s 50K miles], simple maintenance.

The problems to date are, the HID's died [bound to happen with time] easy 100$ fix for an aftermarket kit
And people banging it up in the parking lot.
To me the trans does 'jerk' sometimes, however the direct relation to this i find, is it only happens when the car is still cold, after a few mins of driving it shifts smoothly.

The next car my dad is considering is trading this up for the Hybrid equivalent.
Two questions:

1) did he have the ecm re flashed?

2) what octane fuel does he use?
Old 10-29-09, 12:05 PM
visual
Rookie

Originally Posted by ho0n
I will tell you everything wrong now with my NY 04 AWD made-in-Ontario car (at 94.5k miles) and reasons why I would choose the 350 over the 330.

Transmission sometimes flares going down a decline once touching the brakes.
The transmission likes to go gear-hunting, but the throttle dies for a second before it clunks into play.
Starting today, my rain-sensing intermittent wipers oscillate significantly more frequently than before in a light-medium drizzle.
This car (apparently as well as an AWD Toyota Sienna) has a weird front transfer case that clicks oddly
Throttle leaves much to be desired by way of response.
Front driver's side weather seal failed a long time ago--there's no water leakage, but my car hisses from the door slightly when it's moving.
I rear-ended someone within 3 months of owning my car because my brakes failed (brake booster--among other components--recall <- found out too late) while I was stopped on a mildly steep hill.
The roof rack bars are broken (a recall I missed when warranty expired) and the coating on the rails is peeling.
My headlight has suffered condensation.
Under heavy load, the catalytic converters give off a sulfuric odor.
Audio head unit's ERROR 3 or 4.

Yes, it's the first production year. Maybe it's a fluke?

Anyway, why the 350?

More time to work out bugs and kinks
Additional gear for gas efficiency
More current
Chrome door pulls (just being honest)
This car exists in Japan, too (may come in handy somehow--maybe if tuning is your thing?)
I have the same problem with the driver side weather seal strip. I am getting constant hiss from the window on highway. Wondering if I can buy a new weather seal to fix this problem.

I used to have problem with the transmission as you described. Lexus dealer performed the transmission recalibration (free of charge), it shifts smoothly.
Old 10-29-09, 03:50 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife drives our '05 RX330 AWD and it's been a great car. As to quality and reliabiliy, it's been just as good as our first RX300, which also was great. The RX330 has about
85K miles now. No problems to speak of other than the usual Lexus dash noises. We bought the car CPO at about 32K miles, and the dash noises come and go. My wife doesn't even notice the noises so I never bothered trying to have them fixed. I wasted enough time trying to have the dealer fix all the rattles in my GS300, which I finally gave up on that.
Old 11-03-09, 08:45 AM
fstr n u
Driver School Candidate

The RX350 is a much different vehicle from the RX330 having driven both of them. I do prefer the 350 for sure.

My biggest pet peeve with the RX350 on the 17's the vehicle came with is the leaning of the RX in cornering. It almost feels as though there is too much sidewall on the tires and no stabilizer bar. My second pet peeve and it's small, is the 3.5L V6 doesn't sound good at all. Kind of has a dieselish note to it at cold start up and initial driving.

In comparison the 3.2L V6 offered by Acura a few years ago or the VQ series of engines offered by Nissan/Infinti sound incredible.

Again, small issues, but issues nonetheless. Still am enjoying the RX350 though. Quite efficient (though it uses premium fuel), comfortable and well built.