RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

window`s stick like their pasted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 06:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default window`s stick like their pasted?

Hello my fellow RX`ers!! I noticed ever since I got this RX that when I open my windows (any of them) they stick,like their pasted shut! I have tried WD-40,303,(on the window rubber) The 303 has actually made it worse.My problem is I`m afraid it will break the window regulator eventually.Because it`s like holding the window back while putting it down.Any suggestions here??
Old 10-30-09, 06:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Are you wiping the rubber seals down after you apply the dressing?
Do your windows get a crust where they contact the rubber?

Then you need to wipe it down more. I use Meguair's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner on the seals and wipe it dry with a clean microfiber. I think the key is to apply the dressing, let it dwell then wipe it off.
Old 10-30-09, 06:58 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Are you wiping the rubber seals down after you apply the dressing?
Do your windows get a crust where they contact the rubber?

Then you need to wipe it down more. I use Meguair's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner on the seals and wipe it dry with a clean microfiber. I think the key is to apply the dressing, let it dwell then wipe it off.
That`s exactly what happens Jim. Did you experience this as well? And has doing what your doing put a stop to it?
Old 10-30-09, 07:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

If it really gives you grief, if still under warranty, take it in. Before the regulator takes a dive.
Old 10-30-09, 07:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mandyfig
If it really gives you grief, if still under warranty, take it in. Before the regulator takes a dive.
Unfortunately,it`s just out of warranty. I`ll keep playin around and hopefully put a stop to this.
Old 10-30-09, 07:23 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
That`s exactly what happens Jim. Did you experience this as well? And has doing what your doing put a stop to it?
I don't have any sticking nor crud on the glass edges. The idea of using a rubber dressing cleaner/conditioner is to apply it, rubbing any dirt away and let it dwell for a minute or two then buff it off of the surface completely. Use a microfiber or cotton towel and rub it down well.

I'm sure the product used might play some role here too. I use Meguiar's #40 for all the rubber. Again, it is important to remove it completely from the surface.

You might also pay attention to the glass cleaner you use. I like these two. Meguiar's Detailer Line Glass Cleaner Concentrate or Stoners Invisible Glass. Like the rubber dressing, be sure to wipe the glass dry before closing the windows. I'd not use any glass cleaner with ammonia.

Lastly, some interior vinyl and leather dressings outgas when the car is closed up and parked in the sun. This leaves an oily film on your glass which might also cause some issues with sticking. I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for the interior vinyl to avoid that.
Old 10-30-09, 07:27 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Thanx again Jim.I do use the Stoner glass cleaner,and I have never encountered this before ( I have but after initial cleaning it was no longer an issue) so to say the least,this has me puzzled as to why I cant get rid of it.
Old 10-30-09, 07:41 PM
iluvny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windows sticking have plagued our '04 almost since new. Took it to the dealer several times and whatever they did fixed it only for a short while.

I use Invisible Glass to clean the windows and have wiped the seal with silicone lube but finally gave up.
Old 10-30-09, 08:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Sometimes it's not the glass, but the rails inside the door. I've had the problem recently and I know I need to get in there and clean out the old grease and put in some new (lithium grease).
Old 10-31-09, 07:55 AM
968racer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used silicon spray with success.
Old 11-05-10, 01:56 AM
Sufibon
Driver School Candidate

HELP!
2007 RX 350 40k miles
All the windows stick to the window molding/weather strip. It is still under warranty and the Dealer implied its a design defect and to just pay out of pocket to replace weather strip. Anyone else have this problem?

The windows stick every single time and make a loud popping noise and thumping when lowering the power windows. Fear is several fold, one that windows will indeed pop and glass explode into our faces, causing an accident or worse, if in an accident windows wont let us out because they stick! In addition also have fear that the motors will burn out and additional cost and aggravation to replace motors only to have sticky problem continue. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 11-05-10, 03:52 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sufibon
HELP!
2007 RX 350 40k miles
All the windows stick to the window molding/weather strip. It is still under warranty and the Dealer implied its a design defect and to just pay out of pocket to replace weather strip. Anyone else have this problem?

The windows stick every single time and make a loud popping noise and thumping when lowering the power windows. Fear is several fold, one that windows will indeed pop and glass explode into our faces, causing an accident or worse, if in an accident windows wont let us out because they stick! In addition also have fear that the motors will burn out and additional cost and aggravation to replace motors only to have sticky problem continue. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Window molding is covered under warranty, Lexus should replace.
Old 11-05-10, 06:32 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Take it to another Lexus dealer. You are covered. Withn the 48 months and 50K miles. That's BS if they do not replace. Talk to the Service Manager. Tell him you will call the Lexus 800 number.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-10, 04:57 PM
vg1134
Driver

just another design flaw. I been using the Meguiar's products -dressing for rubber and palstic. it's helped a lot , but not perfect.
Old 11-06-10, 05:01 PM
Sufibon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for advice. I will keep updated next week and see how it goes. I have a call into the Service Manager and emailed Lexus.

Quick Reply: window`s stick like their pasted?