RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please Help- 04 RX330 HID Headlamp????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 06:50 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please Help- 04 RX330 HID Headlamp????

Hello,
I am quite frusterated and wondering anyone might be able to assist me. I have a 2004 RX 330 and this past friday the left front HID headlight stopped iluminating. I could not beleive the cost of the bulb and purchased one only to find out it did not light up. The parts store was VERY cooperative and exchanged the bulb thinking it may have been defective so that is ruled out. The second replacement bulb did not light up! When I turn the HID lights on I hear a relay under the hood and the right iluminates. I checked the fuse for the left front and all is fine. Any information and help would be so much appreciated. Thanks...... Mike
Old 11-09-09, 07:48 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

It could be the ballast. I would put the bulb form the right, which you know was working, to the left. If the left one is still dead, then you probably have dead ballast.
Old 11-09-09, 08:49 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

I have tried two new bulbs with no luck. When I called the dealer they made it seem like its "always" the bulb. If it is the ballast, is there a separate ballast for the right and the left? Do you know if there are separate relays for the right and the left? I do hear a click like a relay every time I turn on the head lights with the hood open. I guess one last thing, if there are two separate ballast, do you know of locations and ease of replacement? Thanks again, I am really frusterated>.
Old 11-09-09, 09:57 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike DeAno
I have tried two new bulbs with no luck. When I called the dealer they made it seem like its "always" the bulb. If it is the ballast, is there a separate ballast for the right and the left? Do you know if there are separate relays for the right and the left? I do hear a click like a relay every time I turn on the head lights with the hood open. I guess one last thing, if there are two separate ballast, do you know of locations and ease of replacement? Thanks again, I am really frusterated>.
It sounds crazy, but can you absolutely rule out the bulb? Of the two you tried, have you ever seen one lit up? That's why I suggested replacing left to right, because that one was working for sure.

As far as I know there are 2 ballasts, one for each side, and one relay for both sides: 1 for low beams, 1 for high beams.

Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-computer.html

and this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-08...Q5fAccessories

Or here is a Plan B:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...item3a4ea7756c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...item4a9a0c1ab9

Last edited by arnieosp; 11-09-09 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 06:03 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try the new bulb on the right side (which is working)? This will tell you for sure if the bulb is good/bad. Or like mentioned above, if you switch the ballast then you'll know if it's the ballast. IMO I'd switch the ballast as you will want to check those anyhow.
Old 11-10-09, 08:51 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Do you know where the ballasts are located? If so, are the left and right the same part number and fully interchangeable? Any idea on cost of a ballast and where is the best place to purchase one if neccessary?
Old 11-10-09, 09:01 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I`m not sure on the 330,they were visible on my old RX.
Old 11-10-09, 09:24 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike DeAno
Do you know where the ballasts are located? If so, are the left and right the same part number and fully interchangeable? Any idea on cost of a ballast and where is the best place to purchase one if neccessary?
Don't go to LExus. It is a busted ballast. Same story on my dad's Rx [from '04 as well] It would make the noise but not power up, and every now and again the light would flicker 'on' for a few secs and die again.

Do what above poster suggested, get one from the CL vendor, stupid cheap and the 2yr. warranty is very nice for the price you pay!

Dad's broke this summer and that is all he did. Went through a shop that was able to get a kit in one day for 200$, vs. me on eBay having to wait a week.
Old 11-10-09, 09:39 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Couple questions:
What is the CL vendor?
After I remove the two top screws on the headlight assembly, I am not sure how to get the assembly out? Once out, is it fairly easy to change?
My light does not even flicker. I am confused as some say there are two separate relays for the HID low beams, is that true.
Thanks
Old 11-10-09, 02:44 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Does anyone have experience with purchasing the D2S kit from HIDEXTRA.COM? The whole kit with 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs and plug and play wiring is only like $69.00 shipped. They want me to change both sides of my factory HID Low beam lighting even though I am only having problems with the front left not lighting up. Should I do this for so cheap or should I search for a new Denzo Ballast 85967-0E020. I really appreciate any help. Also does the headlamp assembly simply remove with the two top screws as well as possibly one accessed through the wheel well? Thanks
Old 11-10-09, 04:53 PM
arnieosp
Racer

I would go with Denso ballast. All aftermarket ballasts (please, someone correct me if I am wrong), and I do have an aftermarket HID kit on my GS high beams, take up to 6-8 seconds to fully light up. The factory HID lights are prettu much instant. The ballast is located inside the headligh housing, at the very bottom. I do not know if they are different from left to right.
Old 11-10-09, 04:59 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I would go with Denso ballast. All aftermarket ballasts (please, someone correct me if I am wrong), and I do have an aftermarket HID kit on my GS high beams, take up to 6-8 seconds to fully light up. The factory HID lights are prettu much instant. The ballast is located inside the headligh housing, at the very bottom. I do not know if they are different from left to right.
All HIDs do that to my knowledge. I have yet to see another car on the road with HIDs that are instantaneous ideal light output.

That is how the technology works, the gas needs to heat up inside the bulb to work at peak efficiency.

One thing too, is that depending on the color output it may be more or less noticeable.
Old 11-10-09, 06:55 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Ok guys, I really appreciate the input but need a bit more advice please....
-Once I remove the two top screws holding in the headlamp assembly, what else is securing the assembly and how do I proceed to remove?
-You state the ballast is inside the assembly? Do I have to brake a seal to access?
-If I go with a Denzo, I am getting conflicting part numbers and not sure where the best place to purchase one would be.

Thanks
Old 11-10-09, 07:58 PM
arnieosp
Racer

In order to remove the headlight, the front bumper cover has to be either loosened or removed. If you use the search on this forum, you might be able to find some instructions or pictures.
Old 01-06-10, 04:48 PM
herrx330
Driver School Candidate

Mike,

Saw your posts on another owners issues with their lamp as well. I just went through the same thing. When I switched bulbs I found out they were fine! And that it was the "headlight computer/ballast" whatever you want to call it. Dealership specifically stated that this IS covered under the extended warranty and have replaced it. Some may give you issues with the "condensation". This is usually BS. My dealer also said that excess condensation that would NOT burn off in 15 minutes is Lexus standard. FYI, when I turned on my high beam it burned it off in 3-4 so that rules out that condensation was the issue. Lastly, I was just on another post (somewhere) and there were pictures with step by step instructions to remove the light. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Please Help- 04 RX330 HID Headlamp????