RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 08:53 AM
krzysiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
When I got home I looked to see what my replacement looked like but my 2008 RX has a plastic cover over that portion where the oil line is located. I did not won't to try to remove it to look as I was running late for an appointment. In the above pictures, was a plastic cover removed to show the location ?

Cat

Yes, the plastic cover was removed. Every owner of RX350 should know how to remove this plastic cover in order to check the power steering fluid level. It's being held by 4 quick release plastic clips. You need to press the center of each one with a small screwdriver or something similar to get it released. It takes about 5 seconds to get it done. Keep us informed what was put in your car. To this date no one has verified with their own eyes that metal replacement is even possible on any year of RX350!!!! I wonder if any Lexus dealer would do it if we were to PAY for ALL-METAL replacement?!?!?!?!

Last edited by krzysiu; 12-18-09 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-18-09, 09:31 AM
krzysiu
Driver School Candidate

I did more "digging" on the internet about our problem and found interesting picture of 2GR-FE engine. It seems that our engine has 2 connectors, one on left side, and another on the right side. Can someone figure out why the left side uses rubber, but the right side has all-metal connector????? See the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement-1.jpg  

Last edited by krzysiu; 12-18-09 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-18-09, 01:24 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm going to guess that it would be the temperature of the oil.Hotter on right side and cooler when exiting on left side. I'm not an engineer so I'm just guessing

Cat
Old 12-18-09, 07:34 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hotter due to the proximity to the exhaust manifold.
Old 12-19-09, 08:32 AM
MNRXguy
Driver School Candidate

Just had this recall service completed this week. It took about 1.5 hours for them to make the fix, wash the car and top off the fuel tank. The dealer made it a quick and easy process.
Old 12-21-09, 06:18 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Rubber hose is used where flexing is required either to install or if attached to a removable component. If the correct hose material is used and it is clamped correctly then the pressure or the oil temp. is not a problem.
Old 12-21-09, 09:51 AM
krzysiu
Driver School Candidate

It looks like the rubber hose failure is happening to 2007 ES 350's. See the link below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...se-failed.html

I was told by my Lexus dealer that ALL ES 350's were build in Japan and they had ALL-METAL connector!?!?!?!?
Now I am really confused.
Old 12-26-09, 08:43 PM
joako
Driver

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Rubber hose is used where flexing is required either to install or if attached to a removable component. If the correct hose material is used and it is clamped correctly then the pressure or the oil temp. is not a problem.
But it is also possible to use braided metal hose. Probably not used except for in high heat applications to save USD 1.23 per car.
Old 12-27-09, 04:26 PM
krzysiu
Driver School Candidate

Had my line replaced few days ago. It is improved rubber. When I asked if I could get ALL-METAL (I was willing to pay extra), I was told NO!!!!!! I got 2010 RX 350 as a loaner and this car has ALL-METAL connector (I checked it!!!!). When my warranty expires I will buy the ALL-METAL connector and will replace it myself. Many people who own Highlanders are replacing it themselves. See this link:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=316167

By the way, the new improved rubber is made from FLUROCARBON or FLUOROELASTOMER, and the old rubber was made from ACRYLIC rubber or POLYLACRYLATE. I held the replacement piece in my hand, it was Made in Japan, and on its side it said: KK20 OIL>ACM FKM.
Old 01-07-10, 09:07 PM
LEP XEP
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I got my 07 RX in for 10k service today and got the oil hose replacement. My friend works on my car in Lexus dealer. When I got home, the hose is still rubber, so I called him up and asked him. He said he replaced the "improved" hose not all metal hose. I hope Toyota improved it.
Old 01-08-10, 02:13 PM
thecommish
Driver School Candidate

I lease a 2008 with 60k miles and when I took it in today for this fix they said it needs a new engine due to sludge buildup! 60k miles and the engine is shot? The dealer will not stand behind the vehicle and wants $8,000 for the repair...on a lease vehicle. They said if I could provide receipts for oil changes they would possibly help - well I think I'm part of the 90% of people who do not keep oil change receipts - with the dealer being 80 miles away and 4 times the cost, I chose to have service done locally - and have no receipts - any suggestions?
Old 01-08-10, 03:21 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thecommish
I lease a 2008 with 60k miles and when I took it in today for this fix they said it needs a new engine due to sludge buildup! 60k miles and the engine is shot? The dealer will not stand behind the vehicle and wants $8,000 for the repair...on a lease vehicle. They said if I could provide receipts for oil changes they would possibly help - well I think I'm part of the 90% of people who do not keep oil change receipts - with the dealer being 80 miles away and 4 times the cost, I chose to have service done locally - and have no receipts - any suggestions?
WOW, what diagnostic test did they do to determine a sludge buildup? Do you notice engine problems? What kind of oil has your shop been using?

If there really is a sludge problem, I would use some synthetic oil and some oil additives to try and break it up before I spend money on a new engine.

You may also want to post a new topic as many will not see this on page 4 of this oil line hose discussion.
Old 01-09-10, 08:26 AM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by thecommish
Thats hard to believe an engine with only 60K miles would be shot due to sludge buildup. Was the engine running rough or what ? When you got your oil changed, if you paid by credit card or debit card you should be able to get records of the purchase. Contact your bank or credit card holder. For $8k I would go to another Lexus dealer even if it meant driving out of state to get a 2'nd opinion. Something does not sound right.

Cat
Old 01-09-10, 08:30 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Agree 100%. How was this determined? Would get at least one ther dealer to look at it before u do anything.
Could be a flush job with a good engine flush & then keep changing the oil & filter say every 2K about 3 times with a synthetic oil then see how it looks.
Old 01-09-10, 08:44 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This oil hose replacement thread has been hijacked to an "engine oil sludge" discussion. The moderators should move these posts to a separate and new topic.

Quick Reply: Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement