RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 09:33 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do we get that done?
Old 01-09-10, 12:35 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer has no notice of this problem so is not doing any replacements. Is there anything I should know to alert them to it?
Old 01-10-10, 07:21 AM
hesham1
Driver

Originally Posted by veleno
My dealer has no notice of this problem so is not doing any replacements. Is there anything I should know to alert them to it?
yes, log in to My Lexus online and click on the special bulletin regarding your vehicle. Print that web page and show it to your dealer.
Old 01-22-10, 06:41 AM
AirJames
Rookie

I have a Lexus RX350 2007 FWD and I never got the letter to fix the hose... At 43.5K Miles, just less than a few weeks ago, the VTT-i oil hose broke and the car was smoking all the way around the vehicle. Oil was everywhere, even on the rear window. It was also on the lower right side doors, engine and undercarriage and leaking profusely. I noticed the smoke at the end of a 129 mile trip to LA after I got off the freeway. I thought someone had left their side brake on and then thought it was me! The car was towed to the dealer and they replaced the hose with another rubber hose and replaced the mobile synthetic I tried to put in. All no charge and also cleaned up the oil but how thoroughly, I'm not sure. There was oil on the wheel wells, rear window/back, lower right side doors and undercarriage. The oil smell still remains after 10 mile trips and the back window/plate/door gets an oily residue. The dealer said there might be oil spots in the parking spot for the next few weeks but I didn't have that problem. I'm going to get in touch with them and see what they can do. I tried to take a quick sniff of the exhaust to smell it but it was odorless and didn't seem to have any black color. I think the car is running fine although I have a sense that the car shakes or the engine feels rougher/louder but that could be me just thinking the worst. Weird thing is, the oil gauge never showed oil out and the heat was at only a tad above medium.

What should the dealer do? Has anybody else had an issue like this? Ideally, I want them to replace the car or at least the engine but I'm not sure if that's allowable under warranty.

Last edited by AirJames; 01-25-10 at 04:12 PM. Reason: BTW, I never got the letter to fix the hose...
Old 01-22-10, 06:57 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

We've got a big thread going on about this over in the ES350 forum.
The problem is not limited to only RX350, but "some ES350" according to Lexus.
They are saying the problem is VIN specific, but in reality any 3.5 (2GR-FE) engine with the rubber hose is actually a problem.
If you've got some time, go read the thread over there.

Hope you find the info helpful.
Old 01-22-10, 07:08 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AirJames
I have a Lexus RX350 2007 FWD and I never got the letter to fix the hose... At 43.5K Miles, just less than a few weeks ago, the VTT-i oil hose broke and the car was smoking all the way around the vehicle. Oil was everywhere, even on the rear window. It was also on the lower right side doors, engine and undercarriage and leaking profusely. I noticed the smoke at the end of a 129 mile trip to LA after I got off the freeway. I thought someone had left their side brake on and then thought it was me! The car was towed to the dealer and they replaced the hose with another rubber hose and replaced the mobile synthetic I tried to put in. All no charge and also cleaned up the oil but how thoroughly, I'm not sure. There was oil on the wheel wells, rear window/back, lower right side doors and undercarriage. The oil smell still remains after 10 mile trips and the back window/plate/door gets an oily residue. The dealer said there might be oil spots for the next few weeks but I didn't have that problem. I'm going to get in touch with them and see what they can do. I tried to take a quick sniff of the exhaust to smell it but it was odorless and didn't seem to have any black color. I think the car is running fine although I have a sense that the car shakes or the engine feels rougher/louder but that could be me just thinking the worst. Weird thing is, the oil gauge never showed oil out and the heat was at only a tad above medium.

What should the dealer do? Has anybody else had an issue like this? Ideally, I want them to replace the car or at least the engine but I'm not sure if that's allowable under warranty.
Wow, I would be livid if this happened to me.

I would at least get the dealer to extend your engine warranty to at least 100,000 miles, if not 150,000. I would also make them thoroughly detail the vehicle, including the undercarriage. If they will not help, go to Corporate or whomever is next up on the food chain.
Old 01-22-10, 08:25 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They should "steam clean" this vehicle's engine compartment and undercarriage to remove all traces of the oil residue. Engine replacement? I doubt it!
Old 01-23-10, 06:08 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Just waiting for my dealer to get the hoses in stock then they'll replace mine.
Old 01-23-10, 09:42 AM
ecrane
Rookie

had our 2007 RX350 done Monday at the 35,000 mile mark. Glad to get it done although I wonder about the longevity of the fix being the redesigned oil hose is fundamentally the same as the one it replaces. Dealer, Johnson Lexus in Raleigh, gave us a 2010 RX400h with 2,500 miles on it as a loaner. Interesting car...
Old 01-25-10, 06:18 PM
AirJames
Rookie

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
We've got a big thread going on about this over in the ES350 forum.
The problem is not limited to only RX350, but "some ES350" according to Lexus.
They are saying the problem is VIN specific, but in reality any 3.5 (2GR-FE) engine with the rubber hose is actually a problem.
If you've got some time, go read the thread over there.

Hope you find the info helpful.
Thanks for pointing me there: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...se-failed.html

I wonder how many engine failures there have been and if Lexus has had to do any major repairs.
Old 01-27-10, 09:02 AM
evident
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts

Hi, haven't posted here since I bought my CPO 07 RX350 w/30k miles in june. have about 40 on it now. was very happy with the vehicle until yesterday i was going home from work and i heard a weird noise coming from the engine, sure enough, all of the oil was drained from the engine when i checked the dipstick.

It got towed to Lexus of Bridgewater and are working on it now. They are doing the fix with the updated part, but how will i know if they will check the engine to see if the cylinder walls haven't been scraped? I really hope they don't just replace the oil hose, put some oil in and call it a day. Those type of engine problems won't show up until much later, perhaps when the warranty has expired!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-10, 04:01 PM
IRVRX350
Driver School Candidate

Finally got the VVT-i oil hose on my 07 RX350 replaced with an all metal line. Thanks for the info from folks here and especially this site: http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

First contact Lexus customer service with phone calls and emails over 2 weeks. A supervisor claimed that the "improved" rubber hose is the NHTSA approved replacement and denied my request. Filed a complaint on NHTSA website and contacted local congressman.

Contacted 4 local dealers. One dealer agreed immediately to replace the rubber hose with an all metal line with only charging parts. Another dealer contacted Lexus and also agreed to do so. The 3rd one will charge extra labor and the 4th one refused to do the replacement. Had it done at the 1st dealer and was told later that they didn't realize the extra labor but they covered it. The 2nd dealer is aware of the extra labor but still only charge parts.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-10, 11:37 AM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IRVRX350
Finally got the VVT-i oil hose on my 07 RX350 replaced with an all metal line. Thanks for the info from folks here and especially this site: http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

First contact Lexus customer service with phone calls and emails over 2 weeks. A supervisor claimed that the "improved" rubber hose is the NHTSA approved replacement and denied my request. Filed a complaint on NHTSA website and contacted local congressman.

Contacted 4 local dealers. One dealer agreed immediately to replace the rubber hose with an all metal line with only charging parts. Another dealer contacted Lexus and also agreed to do so. The 3rd one will charge extra labor and the 4th one refused to do the replacement. Had it done at the 1st dealer and was told later that they didn't realize the extra labor but they covered it. The 2nd dealer is aware of the extra labor but still only charge parts.

Good luck!
I made an appointment with the Lexus dealer next Saturday to do this recall. The lady who scheduled the appointment has no idea how they'd fix the problem and what kind of parts they'll use. She told me to ask the service technician on THE DAY of the service. How do I find out if they're giving me the rubber hose replacement (most likely it is?) You have to get congressman involved to get Lexus to use the all metal oil line? Is there an easier way to present the case to the Lexus dealer to make them use the metal oil line? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-10, 01:07 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While I understand about wanting the all metal line instead of "improved" rubber, keep in mind if the new rubber line ever fails I'm sure Lexus will cover any repairs, since they were supposed to have fixed it to begin with. If they balk, offer them your Attorney's number, since they will be hearing from him.
Old 03-19-10, 01:34 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

I am not worried about it. Whatever they put in is good with me. If I have any problem later on I am sure Lesus will take care of it. That is why we purchase a Lexus, isn't it?

Quick Reply: Certain 2007 RX350 needs VVT-i Oil hose replacement