RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 08:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Yes, they provided a written warranty.

It says: Automobile glass is warranted against defects in material or workmanship for as long as you own the vehicle in which the glass is installed so long as such defects are brought to the attention of Safelite within 30 days of discovery of a defect.

No, I did not ask this question. I don't see anything on their website about NGA certification either.

Yes, I did. I have USAA and called them this morning to verify; they have no record of the windshield being replaced. At no time did I ever provide any details as to who my insurance company was or even that I had insurance.

If you go on their website (www.safelite.com) is a company that is nationwide; in about 2 minutes of your time (since there is doubt), you can get an online quote and see the price is real. The current price for my zip code is $233 plus $46 for the molding.

As I said in my earlier post, Kuni Lexus (in Englewood (Denver), CO) recommended the company, so I went with them.

I had the windshield replaced on my A4 by the same company about 3 months earlier and it was $231.

I do want to clarify, if you guys want to pay $1500 (or have your insurance pay) for a windshield, it doesn't matter to me. But, to question my integrity is something I will defend. I didn't want to make an insurance claim, so I paid for it out of pocket.

I would be happy to scan my receipt. As usual, YMMV.
Any louder outside noise?
If not,I'd go with them.

My quote for my '09 RX at Safelite.
Web-Only Price: $392.95
(includes labor, before tax)
Your vehicle may require the installation of moldings and accessories at an additional cost of $62.90.

My ES
Web-Only Price: $436.95
(includes labor, before tax)
Your vehicle may require the installation of moldings and accessories at an additional cost of $98.90

Safelite is well known company.
Old 12-21-09, 08:42 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Stuff deleted ...

I do want to clarify, if you guys want to pay $1500 (or have your insurance pay) for a windshield, it doesn't matter to me. But, to question my integrity is something I will defend. I didn't want to make an insurance claim, so I paid for it out of pocket.

I would be happy to scan my receipt. As usual, YMMV.

Please please please, do not think the discussion is an attack on your integrity. The amount charged boggles me. All i am saying is that it is such a deal that it sounds unreal. A glass shower door (tempered and not safety) costs more than what you paid. If you replace a window pane, that will be a substantial portion of the amount mentioned here.

Somewhere, I faintly recollect, paying for some cracked windshield/glass as a tax or insurance [Texas specific].

Salim
Old 12-21-09, 08:59 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please please please, do not think the discussion is an attack on your integrity. The amount charged boggles me. All i am saying is that it is such a deal that it sounds unreal. A glass shower door (tempered and not safety) costs more than what you paid. If you replace a window pane, that will be a substantial portion of the amount mentioned here.

Somewhere, I faintly recollect, paying for some cracked windshield/glass as a tax or insurance [Texas specific].

Salim

No problem, thanks. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
Old 12-21-09, 09:00 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Any louder outside noise?
If not,I'd go with them.
Nope, haven't noticed any difference. Went through the local automated car wash with the high speed dryer and didn't notice anything unusual as far as air flow goes.
Old 12-21-09, 09:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, haven't noticed any difference. Went through the local automated car wash with the high speed dryer and didn't notice anything unusual as far as air flow goes.
I've used aftermarket windshield a couple of times in the past and never had a problem.
I've read that most of today's bigger name aftermarket windshield companies windshields are laser cut for better fit than in the past.
It also comes down to the installer's ability to do a perfect install no matter what windshield type is used.
That being said,I'd still try to use a local PPG glass installer unless the cost was close to the dealer.PPG makes OEM windshields.
I just checked a site with glass shops in my area that use PPG glasss but the quotes are given in a email.
The did have a windshield for the RX listed
Solar, Rain Sensor,Acoustic Interlayer, Green Tint/Green Shade
Old 12-21-09, 12:13 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

cwnewton, I too meant no offense. Please don't take my comments as an affront to your integrity. My interest is to try to understand how Safelite could install an windshield at that cost.

Aftermarket glass is made by companies that do not contract with any car manufacturers, and do not have the legal right to manufacture auto glass to the exact same specifications as OEM distributors due to licensing and copyright laws. Safelite is one of the main aftermarket or "original equipment equivalent (OEE)" auto glass manufacturers. Aftermarket glass is significantly cheaper than OEM or dealer glass. It's usually a different thickness than OEM glass, and most dealers will not accept aftermarket glass when you return a leased vehicle because the glass differs so much from the original design, and does not carry the same guarantees as OEM auto glass.
Source:http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info...s-should-i-buy

I've studied this topic on numerous occasions and conclude that for me, aftermarket glass is not worth the savings as it may put myself and those I care about in jeopardy in the event of an accident. Glass is not just there to keep the bugs from hitting us in the face. It is a significant part of the safety of the vehicle. I won't take chances on that safety where my loved ones are concerned.

Back up from this for a moment and let's analyze the Safelite cost picture. I think you might agree that the price you paid is so low as to make one wonder how it could be done.

First this aftermarket glass is made in China. It must be shipped to the US and trucked to the shops. A reasonable estimate of for the shipping costs of a windshield would be maybe $50.

The installer must be paid for his time, including travel time that probably averages a hour and a half a job. Assume labor to be around $75.

The shop must maintain a building, vehicle(s) and inventory. Pay for gas, oil, insurance, utilities, overhead, tech training, etc. which might easily add another $75.

Then there is the purchase of misc materials, clips, weatherstripping and expensive adhesives. I'd estimate that cost would be $25.

Profit? They must earn a profit to stay in business. Assume maybe $25 per install.

I just don't see how Safelite can install a windshield at that cost unless they are getting them for a few dollars each. Given that scenario, I personally would not feel safe behind a Chinese made windshield at that cost.

Again, I'm not questioning your integrity or honesty. I believe you when you state you paid $251.
Old 12-21-09, 12:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

jfelbab,from the article you posted, PPG and Pilkington make same quality aftermarket windshields as OEM.
I don't know what the cost of a PPG or Pilkington windshield would be but I think it would be definitely less than the dealer and the same OEM quality.
Besides most dealers will call a outside shop in to do the install even some dealer service with bodyshops on site..

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-21-09 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 12:47 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
jfelbab,what's your view on PPG aftermarket windshields?
From the link I posted previously <http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info/dealer-oem-aftermarket-what-type-of-auto-glass-should-i-buy> I'd be comfortable with 1. Dealer Auto Glass or 2. OEM Distributor Auto Glass.

I'd not use ARG or OEE glass.

I'd also pay particular attention to the qualifications of the technicians. I'd look to see that they are certified. More problems of a serious nature are caused by improper installations than the glass itself.

I believe I read that PPG is now sold or in the process of being sold. Can't recall which. I understand they make both OEM glass and ARG glass though so I'd be sure to request OEM glass if I needed a replacement.
Old 12-21-09, 01:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jfelbab
From the link I posted previously <http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info/dealer-oem-aftermarket-what-type-of-auto-glass-should-i-buy> I'd be comfortable with 1. Dealer Auto Glass or 2. OEM Distributor Auto Glass.

I'd not use ARG or OEE glass.

I'd also pay particular attention to the qualifications of the technicians. I'd look to see that they are certified. More problems of a serious nature are caused by improper installations than the glass itself.

I believe I read that PPG is now sold or in the process of being sold. Can't recall which. I understand they make both OEM glass and ARG glass though so I'd be sure to request OEM glass if I needed a replacement.
PPG or Pilkington would work for me depending on how close the cost would be to a Lexus dealer install.
$200-$300 difference,I'd go Lexus dealer install but the cost difference will be more than that.I priced the Lexus part windshield alone at a discounted cost of $1223.18.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...08&catalogid=2

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-21-09 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 01:47 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Next time I will ask where the glass is made before my purchase; to be honest, I never even thought to ask. However, I knew going into it that they install OEE vice OEM glass.

Our replacement says "SGC (tm)" on the left side, "DOT 65 AS1" on the top and "Solar Shaded FW-2390" on the bottom.
Old 12-21-09, 01:58 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Next time I will ask where the glass is made before my purchase; to be honest, I never even thought to ask. However, I knew going into it that they install OEE vice OEM glass.

Our replacement says "SGC (tm)" on the left side, "DOT 65 AS1" on the top and "Solar Shaded FW-2390" on the bottom.
I wouldn't pay $1K for a windshield.I've used non OEM glass without any problem.You'll be fine if the installer did the install properly.
I'd bet a very large percentage of vehicles have non OEM replacement glass when the windshield is replaced..
Old 12-21-09, 05:35 PM
sakaike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my two cents, YMMV:

I have had several windshields replaced over the years - all by SafeLite. (And no, I don't believe that the multiple replacements have anything to do with the quality of the glass, unless you think an OEM windshield is going to survive a golf ball hitting a windshield at 70 mph on the freeway any better than OEE).

I paid about $400 (no insurance claim) total for PPG glass to replace my 04 RX330 windshield (no rain-sensing wipers). It's important to note that if you ask SafeLite when making the appointment, that they will offer you a plethora of different glass options for your particular vehicle and options (like rain-sensing).

For me, I paid for the most expensive glass available short of going OEM, at the advice of the CSA. If I had insisted on true OEM glass, the price would have more than doubled to close to $1000 - close to dealer prices.

I am extremely pleased with the quality of the glass (no waves or distortion), as well as the quality of the install (an important factor too many people overlook). No difference in wind noise, no leakage, no problems whatsover.

The bottom line for me is that the OP is accurate in his description of his experience, and that there are a variety of options available to all of us when we need to make a similar decision. For me, life is good working with SafeLite, and I will continue to use their services in the future.

Even if you insist on OEM glass, they can do that too, probably for less than a dealer, so all the bases are covered.

My two cents...
Old 12-21-09, 06:30 PM
arima
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am I the only sucker that pays for full glass coverage? I've had 2 repairs and a replacement on 2 previous cars, free. My BMW 2.8 coupe had the glass replaced with an OEM glass because an aftermarket was not available, otherwise it would have been an aftermarket part. I don't know how much extra the insurance cost, but I think its worth the in home service. It probably more then pays for itself with one replacement.
Old 12-21-09, 07:12 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Windshield replaced at Lexus on 2008 RX with rain-sensing wipers was a bit over $1800. 100% Lexus parts/labor. All paid by insurance with no deductible. I did not want to have anything different on few months old car, so …
Old 12-21-09, 08:20 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by sakaike
Just my two cents, YMMV:

I have had several windshields replaced over the years - all by SafeLite. (And no, I don't believe that the multiple replacements have anything to do with the quality of the glass, unless you think an OEM windshield is going to survive a golf ball hitting a windshield at 70 mph on the freeway any better than OEE).

I paid about $400 (no insurance claim) total for PPG glass to replace my 04 RX330 windshield (no rain-sensing wipers). It's important to note that if you ask SafeLite when making the appointment, that they will offer you a plethora of different glass options for your particular vehicle and options (like rain-sensing).

I will have to inquire about that next time ... thanks for the heads up. I did mine all via the web, thus, I never talked with a person. But, to hear about different options would have been interesting. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New Windshield