RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 06:10 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts
Default New Windshield

Stone busted then cracked the windshield on my 2006 RX330. About what will I expect to pay for new glass (installed) and are there any nuances that I need to watch out for?
Old 12-09-09, 06:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If you have auto-sensing wipers be sure to advise the shop as that takes a different windshield. I'm not sure it the 06 had these but Lexus at some point recently switched to acoustic sound absorbing glass which is more expensive. Not sure when they did this but It would be good to ask.

There are a few treads here about the pros and cons of aftermarket glass but some AMG windshields are not made to the same specs and tolerances as OEM glass, even those made by the same OEM manufacturer. AMG windshields are often more prone to fitment issues, cracking and wavy appearance. If the car is leased, the lease agreement mandates replacement with OEM glass.

Last point is that the windshield in modern cars is an integral part of the safety system providing up to 60% of the structural roof integrity in the case of a rollover. It also acts as the backing plate for the airbag deployment if that need every occurs. Gone are the days when the glass was just there to keep the bugs off your teeth.

I personally would choose OEM glass but I've been in a bad accident and wouldn't want to put myself or my family in jeopardy just to save a few bucks.

Here is a good FAQ covering automotive glass.
http://www.bestglass.com/faq.html

Check with your insurance agent on replacement. This is likely to cost in excess of $1,000.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-09-09 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-09-09, 09:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

As far as I know there are no OEM glass technically. Even if you go to the Lexus dealer, the glass they will use will be the same as the glass which the aftermarket glass people use.

In fact, they will call the same people you will be going to, outside the dealer. So, why pay the extra for the same service and warranty. Unless you want to score some points with your dealer, which is a valid reason.
Old 12-09-09, 10:15 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by mandyfig
As far as I know there are no OEM glass technically. Even if you go to the Lexus dealer, the glass they will use will be the same as the glass which the aftermarket glass people use.

In fact, they will call the same people you will be going to, outside the dealer. So, why pay the extra for the same service and warranty. Unless you want to score some points with your dealer, which is a valid reason.
OEM vs. Aftermarket (ARG; Auto Replacement Glass)

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) windshields are created differently than aftermarket ones (aftermarket parts are ones that are sold to replace the original parts of a vehicle). "OEM auto glass standards require 100 percent windshield retention in frontal barrier crash tests, while DOT only requires 80 percent!" [http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Truth-...arts&id=474405 "Some aftermarket parts do not match the tolerance, thickness, and shape of OEM auto glass parts; therefore, they can have a higher rate of leakage, wind noise, imperfect fit, solar performance, and optical distortion" [same]. Note that glass "from an OEM manufacturer" is not OEM glass, it's just glass from the same company that made the original part (which may have completely different specs). ARG windshields have higher levels of stress, since manufacturers limit the stress allowable in the OEM windshields they contract for (source).
Interestingly, many state laws allow the use of aftermarket parts, but define them as being either sheet metal or plastic. That implies that the laws do not apply to windshields (despite the term aftermarket applying to non-OEM windshields in standard usage), making interpretation of the laws more difficult.

Source: http://www.carwindshields.info/

More reading:
http://www.ultrabond.com/whywindshields.pdf (excellent in-depth study)
http://www.theglassguild.com/proper-...d-replacement/
Old 12-09-09, 02:08 PM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

Good reading, great information!
Old 12-09-09, 03:11 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Safelite/Elite Auto Glass installed our new windshield (with rain sensing wipers) for about $250. I called the Lexus dealer and this is the company they recommended.

Safelite manufactures and install OEM-equivalent, or OEE, auto glass. This means that it is essentially the same piece of glass that is installed at the time your vehicle is made, with the only difference being the windshield manufacturer. Our glass meets or exceeds all federal, industry and safety standards, and we engage in some of the most rigorous product testing in the industry.
Old 12-10-09, 05:56 AM
Arbitrage1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Safelite/Elite Auto Glass installed our new windshield (with rain sensing wipers) for about $250.
You mean, your insurance deductible was $250 right?

We just had our windshield replaced because of a huge crack. I did it through our insurance company (Geico) and they used Safelite. I had to specifically ask for OEM glass, and the word Lexus is indeed etched on the windshield they installed.

Regarding price, if you claim it on your insurance you just have to pay your deductible. The receipt the Safelite guy handed me was for $1500! for the windshield. Thats what they charged Geico
Old 12-10-09, 12:31 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Arbitrage1
You mean, your insurance deductible was $250 right?

We just had our windshield replaced because of a huge crack. I did it through our insurance company (Geico) and they used Safelite. I had to specifically ask for OEM glass, and the word Lexus is indeed etched on the windshield they installed.

Regarding price, if you claim it on your insurance you just have to pay your deductible. The receipt the Safelite guy handed me was for $1500! for the windshield. Thats what they charged Geico
The total windshield cost was $250, not my deductible. However, it doesn't say "Lexus" on it. Believe it says "PPG", but I would have to double check.
Old 12-10-09, 06:15 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
The total windshield cost was $250, not my deductible. However, it doesn't say "Lexus" on it. Believe it says "PPG", but I would have to double check.
Safelight installed the windshield on my wife's RX in September for $266, including new sticky pad for rain sensor and new molding. They used their own brand glass, so far I have no problems with it.
Old 12-20-09, 02:07 PM
mpourcho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just call safelitte autoglass - $189

Guys, whats all this insurance deductable talk!!!! I just had safelittle auto glass come to my home and install a new windshield for $189 all in! It was the same glass as OEM according to the rep. Works perfect. No complaints.

I have a 04 rx330.

Word
Old 12-20-09, 06:40 PM
salimshah

Received 1,043 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by mpourcho
Guys, whats all this insurance deductable talk!!!! I just had safelittle auto glass come to my home and install a new windshield for $189 all in! It was the same glass as OEM according to the rep. Works perfect. No complaints.

I have a 04 rx330.

Word
The $189 is the deductible you had to pay. The people you contracted must have taken care of the rest with your insurance company.

$189 is way too low for material and labor.

Salim
Old 12-20-09, 07:11 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by salimshah
The $189 is the deductible you had to pay. The people you contracted must have taken care of the rest with your insurance company.

$189 is way too low for material and labor.

Salim

Our $251 installed windshield (with rain sensor) was definitely a no insurance transaction. I didn't even call my insurance company, I called Safelite directly and had it installed.
Old 12-21-09, 01:45 AM
salimshah

Received 1,043 Likes on 941 Posts

Even $251 is way too low for a quality windshield + installation.

Either they are contacting the insurance company on your behalf (you may not be aware) or there is some state law that is getting this good a price.

The labor alone should be close to $100.

I would not hand my keys to some one who offers me such a good price without finding out how.

Salim
Old 12-21-09, 07:16 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by salimshah
Even $251 is way too low for a quality windshield + installation.

Either they are contacting the insurance company on your behalf (you may not be aware) or there is some state law that is getting this good a price.

The labor alone should be close to $100.

I would not hand my keys to some one who offers me such a good price without finding out how.

Salim
I agree. They can not roll the truck for less than $75-$100. Something is not adding up here. You need a trained installer. You need special tools and adhesives. You need the windshield. You need to pay for the truck, several forms of insurance, gas and upkeep, warehouse, utilities, TAXES and other overhead of running a business. I don't see how this can be done for that price. There is something missing from this story.

Question... did the repair firm guarantees all repairs, with a written warranty?
You and your passengers could face a serious safety risk if the replacement windshield is a cheap, substandard glass that easily cracks or shatters while you’re driving. Poor optics also may distort your view of the road. The installation could be performed improperly. The windshield thus can pop out if you’re in a crash. Drivers and passengers could be ejected and the roof might collapse during a rollover because the windshield is a vital structural component of your vehicle.

Question... did you ask to see the installers NGA certification?

Question... have you spoken with your insurance company since the repair? Often times the fraud occurs as a crooked installer makes repeated claims against your insurance without your knowledge. Good idea to verify this.

Deals that sound too good to be true usually are.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-21-09 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 08:07 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

There is something missing from this story.

Question... did the repair firm guarantees all repairs, with a written warranty?
Yes, they provided a written warranty.

It says: Automobile glass is warranted against defects in material or workmanship for as long as you own the vehicle in which the glass is installed so long as such defects are brought to the attention of Safelite within 30 days of discovery of a defect.

Question... did you ask to see the installers NGA certification?
No, I did not ask this question. I don't see anything on their website about NGA certification either.

Question... have you spoken with your insurance company since the repair? Often times the fraud occurs as a crooked installer makes repeated claims against your insurance without your knowledge. Good idea to verify this.
Yes, I did. I have USAA and called them this morning to verify; they have no record of the windshield being replaced. At no time did I ever provide any details as to who my insurance company was or even that I had insurance.

If you go on their website (www.safelite.com) is a company that is nationwide; in about 2 minutes of your time (since there is doubt), you can get an online quote and see the price is real. The current price for my zip code is $233 plus $46 for the molding.

As I said in my earlier post, Kuni Lexus (in Englewood (Denver), CO) recommended the company, so I went with them.

I had the windshield replaced on my A4 by the same company about 3 months earlier and it was $231.

I do want to clarify, if you guys want to pay $1500 (or have your insurance pay) for a windshield, it doesn't matter to me. But, to question my integrity is something I will defend. I didn't want to make an insurance claim, so I paid for it out of pocket.

I would be happy to scan my receipt. As usual, YMMV.

Quick Reply: New Windshield