RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Version 9.1 Nav System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 03:35 PM
Hardalee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Version 9.1 Nav System Issues

I recently updated the GPS Navigation system on my 2008 RX400h from Generation 5 Version 7.1 to Version 9.1. These updates are very expensive. The new cartography still does not map the subdivision where I live which has been here for 6 years. Other even older roads also don't appear but online mapping programs by Google and Yahoo have no problems keeping up to date. Do others have this problem?

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to override the Nav system so that destinations can be input or changed while the car is moving? It can be very dangerous to pull off the freeway in order to make these inputs. Other makes like Mercedes allow inputs on the move.
Old 12-16-09, 05:01 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardalee
does anyone know if there's a way to override the Nav system so that destinations can be input or changed while the car is moving?
Did you know that there is a SEARCH option on this forum? The answer to you question is yes. Search it and you will find a lot of info.
Old 12-16-09, 06:34 PM
Hardalee
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply but I have searched endlessly in this forum and found only references to early Nav versions which permit override and various hacking approaches, all of which are dubious at best. I found nothing re Ver 9.1 overrides. If you are aware of specific solutions to this query I would appreciate the particular references or links.
Old 12-17-09, 09:05 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

I recently updated to 9.1 and saw a significant difference, however, my version was several years older. My subdivision which is also about 6 years old was not on the old version but showed up on the 9.1 Also even the little remote gravel roads around my house in rural wisconsin showed up on thenew version. These roads are back in the woods around lakes and I was quite surprised.
Old 12-17-09, 10:07 PM
Jprx350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply but I have searched endlessly in this forum and found only references to early Nav versions which permit override and various hacking approaches, all of which are dubious at best. I found nothing re Ver 9.1 overrides. If you are aware of specific solutions to this query I would appreciate the particular references or links.
Hardalee you are using a generation 5 nav system. it doesnt matter what version of map you are using (vers 7.1, 8.1 or 9.1). To override your system, you have a few ways 1) get the override module kit the prestigious society sells. (this is the easiest and cleanest way to do it) 2) cut some wires on the back of the gps unit and rewired it. 3) use a hybrid disc (vers 5.1 and 7.1).

All of this can be found in detail by using the search for navigation override! yes the up down up ect... on the menue screen doesnt work on your car.
Old 12-17-09, 10:14 PM
arnieosp
Racer

One of the options: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATAS...Q5fAccessories

Not sure if it fits the RX, though. I have it on my GS. It took me a while to figure out how to hook it up to avoid the 30-seconds time limit on the override, but now it works great.

Last edited by arnieosp; 12-17-09 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-17-09, 10:36 PM
Jprx350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arnieosp
One of the options: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATAS...Q5fAccessories

Not sure if it fits the RX, though.
YES!! that is the first option. it does work. free up the phone, music and nav system override.
Old 12-18-09, 07:37 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't recommend these guys highly enough. Great after sales service. Item works perfectly.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/le...-override.html
Old 12-21-09, 12:07 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another option is the lockpick ultimate from coastaltech. its cheaper (about $99). It's not as good at the PS kit but will do the basics. You won't find anything specific to it and dvd v9 but you can find threads about it.
Old 12-21-09, 09:27 PM
steiner
Driver

I recently updated the GPS Navigation system on my 2008 RX400h from Generation 5 Version 7.1 to Version 9.1. These updates are very expensive. The new cartography still does not map the subdivision where I live which has been here for 6 years. Other even older roads also don't appear but online mapping programs by Google and Yahoo have no problems keeping up to date. Do others have this problem?

I recently bought a $90 TomTom and use it along side my factory-installed Lexus NAV. The Tom Tom is far more superior than the Lexus. It is hands-down, no contest.

How much did I pay for the Lexus NAV? don't remeber anymore but certainly was much more than $90
Old 12-22-09, 04:18 AM
RxInAtl
Driver School Candidate

To enter destinations while you're moving - the cleanest and easiest is the Lockpick 3 basic for $99. from Coastal Tech. Just plug it in behind the DVD player in the rear of your RX and you're done.

As far as your missing sub-div - I thing you can request to have it mapped at Navteq.com under the reporter tab.

-Ken
Old 12-22-09, 11:22 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by RxInAtl
you can request to have it mapped at Navteq.com under the reporter tab.

-Ken
Lexus does not use Navtaq. I wish they did, because IMO it's the best GPS software.
Old 12-23-09, 04:23 AM
RxInAtl
Driver School Candidate

From the Lexus website for nav - http://www.lexusnavigation.com/faq.php

"3. Who provides the map and data content for Lexus’ navigation updates?

Denso works with NAVTEQ, Tele Atlas and InfoUSA to gather information for Lexus’ navigation updates."

-Ken
Old 12-23-09, 05:03 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Yeah, depends on what they mean by "Lexus WORKS WITH...", because Lexus is not listed on the Navteq website and Lexus navigation graphics look nothing like Navteq. BMW uses Navteq, as well as Garmin, so BMW navigation screen looks like Garmin, with rich colors, nice fat street lines etc.
Old 12-24-09, 05:02 AM
RxInAtl
Driver School Candidate

It looks like you don't understand how this works.

Denso buys their map data from Navteq, Tele Atlas and InfoUSA. These 3 rent satellite time to do the actual mapping. Lexus contracts with Denso to create their nav units. Denso programmers then create a nav interface for their customers - Lexus nav being one - and use the map data that they bought. Lexus then decides, each year, what they want to buy for their next upgrade - more poi's, more roads, more icons, etc. Everything has a cost and they can get more or less.

So, letting Navteq know what's missing there's a better opportunity of having it added in the next update.

Quick Reply: Version 9.1 Nav System Issues