RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

just need your opinion`s....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 06:24 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default just need your opinion`s....

Okay,as you all probably know by now I have a 2005 RX 330 AWD w/62,000 miles on the clock. Here is what I`v done so far: Synthetic PP,(yes I went from yellow bottle to the platinum) Amsoil Synthetic oil in the trans,changed the pcv valve,air filter,cabin filter. The only thing I need done is the transfer case/rear differential oil changed. And I would like the power steering fluid flushed. So,I called my dealer to set up a 60k service,(the original owner bought it their) $540.00 to do mostly everything that I already did? I was caught off guard and made the appointment. Then last night I started thinking to myself "am I crazy?" Since all I basically need done now is the power steering,and the diff/transfer,I may as well go to my mechanic right? I was looking at it as having the 60k service done in the vehicles record`s for selling time,but I`m not so sure this is worth it? What do you all suggest?

Last edited by lexus114; 12-22-09 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-22-09, 07:07 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you have already used Amsoil, the synthetic fluid can be used for the power steering flush and fill.
Also you may want to replace the diff and transfer case with synthetic oil as well.
I took the Royal Purple route so I did the same fluid changes that you have taken. The only other thing I did was add the RP radiator additive in the coolant system. The rad does not require a fill and flush as the same time that the timing belt and water pump need to be changed.
I hope this helps
Old 12-22-09, 07:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diverchris
Since you have already used Amsoil, the synthetic fluid can be used for the power steering flush and fill.
Also you may want to replace the diff and transfer case with synthetic oil as well.
I took the Royal Purple route so I did the same fluid changes that you have taken. The only other thing I did was add the RP radiator additive in the coolant system. The rad does not require a fill and flush as the same time that the timing belt and water pump need to be changed.
I hope this helps
Yes it does help,thanks. I need re-assurance here you know what I mean? Like I stated above,I was really only going to do this for service records. But basically I`m just throwing money away.
Old 12-22-09, 08:24 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

regarding the water pump replacement when you change out the timing belt, my dealer indicated that they dont change the water pump, they ahve had so few go bad, ever that they no longer include it in the regular maintenance.
so that saves a few bucks
Old 12-22-09, 08:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kiwi
regarding the water pump replacement when you change out the timing belt, my dealer indicated that they dont change the water pump, they ahve had so few go bad, ever that they no longer include it in the regular maintenance.
so that saves a few bucks
Yep! and these timing belts are good for 120k
Old 12-22-09, 10:19 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should save your money. You have done much of the maintenance already and unless you tow regularly and/or do heacy hard city driving,I really don't think you will gain anything by spending your $540.00. Those are just my thoughts. I am a maintenance freak on most everything I own, but some things I think are strictly not worth the expense. Again, my thoughts and not meant to offend anyone.
Old 12-22-09, 10:47 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just went through the "do I take it to the dealer for the 50K service" debate. My car had been exclusively service by the dealer by the prior owner. I had the 45k service done was not impressed with what I got for $330. The only reason I could see to go back to the dealer was for possible resale value. I decided a DIY $35 synthetic oil change and actually doing the inspections they say they do was the way to go. Kept the receipts and logged the maintenance in a spreadsheet I keep.

A couple of other things that are supposed to get done at 60K (based on a 2004 schedule):

1. Flushing the brake fluid.

2. Checking valve clearance. I have not seen this mentioned much on the forum except for a couple of posts that said they rarely need adjustment.

Checking the clearance looks like it is a mild PITA. Replacing a shim if necessary requires a special tool.

Is anyone out there checking valve clearance?

Aloha, Joe
Old 12-23-09, 06:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Hi Joe,they did not mention one word about checking any valve clearance to me.

Just an update; I decided to have the transfer/rear diff.oil changed by my mechanic. (who I know from high school) he does the stuff I cant/dont feel like doing. And it will be refilled with Amsoil!
Old 12-23-09, 10:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeInHNL
I just went through the "do I take it to the dealer for the 50K service" debate. My car had been exclusively service by the dealer by the prior owner. I had the 45k service done was not impressed with what I got for $330. The only reason I could see to go back to the dealer was for possible resale value. I decided a DIY $35 synthetic oil change and actually doing the inspections they say they do was the way to go. Kept the receipts and logged the maintenance in a spreadsheet I keep.

A couple of other things that are supposed to get done at 60K (based on a 2004 schedule):

1. Flushing the brake fluid.

2. Checking valve clearance. I have not seen this mentioned much on the forum except for a couple of posts that said they rarely need adjustment.

Checking the clearance looks like it is a mild PITA. Replacing a shim if necessary requires a special tool.

Is anyone out there checking valve clearance?

Aloha, Joe
First time I have heard of valve clearance checking.

There are no known history of valves tightening nor loosening up for the RX330.

Where did you see this requirement?

I have to check the Service Manual. Have not read this, I could be wrong.
Old 12-23-09, 08:44 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I found the requirement in the "2004 Owner's Manual Supplement: Warranty and Scheduled Maintenance"

In the table of engine maintenance it is listed as Valve Clearance with an "I" for inspect and correct and replace as necessary at 60K miles.

Under "Explanation of scheduled maintenance items" it says:

Valve Clearance
Inspect the tappet noise and engine vibration and adjust if necessary. A qualified technician should perform this operation.

So apparently Lexus Techs are so good they can tell if a valve needs adjustment by sound and feel????

The Haynes manual has checking valve clearance in the tune-up and routine maintenance chapter. It shows the usual method of pulling the valve covers and checking the clearance with a feeler gauge.

I am only at 50K and have been wondering if checking valve clearance the old-fashioned way was necessary when I got to that point. I guess the consensus here is No.
Old 12-24-09, 06:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

My 2000 CRV has been well known for the valve adjustment routine. It actually tightens up, you have to relieve it.