RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

End of Lease - Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 10:02 PM
wei2go
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to add that the one negative thing about financing a used car is the higher interest rates verses new. I qualified for a 5.99% used car rate, which I think is pretty good since Lexus offered me 7.9% on tier 1 credit!!!. All high compared to my friend who recently financed a brand new RAV4 at 1.9% for 60 months! However, the Rav4 is NO Comparison to this wonderful car.
Old 12-30-09, 02:32 AM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm im afraid theres no way of getting out of the sales tax because youre buying from the dealer. They have to charge it. If you were buying from a private seller, and you were acting as a middleman, so to speak, and planned on reselling the vehicle without registering it, then yes i assume you could get away with not paying sales tax. Since youre not a dealer though, i think that would not necessarily be legal.

Anyway hope you made a decision that works out well for you! Dont forget you can buy the car now and drive it for another 6 months to a year and still sell it for $28-29K and then you will have pretty much came out on top regardless of paying sales tax
Old 12-30-09, 03:49 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wei2go
Thanks for bringing that up. I did consider leasing another, as my dealer loaned me a 2010 RX350 to try out when I took it in for an oil change. I did like it a lot...especially the new mouse navigation control, the newer bluetooth which instantly plays the music from my iphone, an AUX input jack, and of course the new air conditioned seats! (since I'm in Southern California). Wondering if that is enough reason to spring for a new one which cost probably about $15,000 more.

Here are the reasons I'm swaying to buying the used one:

1) New car is bigger and heavier, and old car seems to be more peppy.
2) The thing that drove me to go with the old model in the first place was all the space of the open console design, where I can put a real tissue box on the floor, and plenty of room for other stuff.
3) first year of production is a concern for me. I read some people find the seats uncomfortable, lesser quality leather in seats, front bumper loose, etc. Also, cigarette and ipod jack in weird location.
4) Leasing this last car was a departure for me in the first place. This is also the first time I'm financing a car. I paid cash before that and tend to keep them a long time. My previous car was a 2000 Mercedes ML320, coming up on 10 years, and I still own, it. Before that, I had a 1989 Mercedes 300E which I owned for 13 years until my husband totalled it! This Japanese car is a first for me, and I like it...faster than the other 2 cars, and a lot cheaper to maintain. I figure since I still see a ton of the first generation on the road, it will have good resale value down the road. Once I pay it off, I can still keep it as a spare car, or sell it then and buy or lease a new car. Whereas if I leased another car....my car payments may never end.

I'm just trying to get an idea if it is a good deal, or if I should turn it in and shop for a better deal. I did check out blue book, but they are not always accurate either. So I thought I would try and get some real world feedback. BTW, I failed to mention I'm in Southern California. Don't know if car values vary from state to state or region to region or not.

Sorry for the long reply. Don't know if I'm making sense, but I really appreciate your inputs.

Thank you!
Excellent analysis, if I were you I would purchase your old car, get a low interest loan from a credit union and continue to enjoy the 2007
Old 12-30-09, 08:14 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Hesham, I know what you mean, but don't you think that by buying the leased vehicle, you are doing exactly what Lexus wants you to do? I guarantee you Lexus made more money (and thus cost the consumer more) from this agreement than if the car had been purchased outright? There are better deals to be had now versus 3 years ago in the auto market.

Lets say the lease payment is $525 (guessing). That times 3 years equals$18,900 of payments. :Let's assume the upfront cost was $4,000. Add the $26,000 purchase price and now you are at $48,900, not even including the interest to be paid on the new loan, or potential repairs or a warranty cost. To me, it makes more sense to either lease or buy a new vehicle rather than pay this much.

Please don't think I am being a blowhard, I am just looking at it purely from a financial aspect. I generally think leases are for the birds anyway and would encourage purchasing outright.

Either way, you are getting a great vehicle.

Adam
I agree with this fact 100%, however, as catdaddy stated, you can't look back and need to think of the current used car purchase. If looked at from that perspective, it is a great price, great mileage and a known service and maintenance history.