RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 06:34 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

How to be really really (I can't use a swear word so...) upset.

I lost my original trim piece. Spent a while trying to find one with a good price, which I did and the wrecker removed it from the window. Received it and used some really good double-sided tape to fix it on. Lasted a little while and then today driving home I heard it fall off (banged against the car) and noticed the trim piece gone again. Tried to find it on the road, but alas it's gone.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-03-13, 02:59 PM
eddie7029
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Quarter Window Moulding

If you own an RX330 or RX400H be careful in going through car washes. I lost one about six months ago in a car wash. I noticed the moulding missing a few days later and went back to the car wash. It was incredible the number of mouldings they recover. They came out with handfuls. Fortunately they had one just like mine although it wasn't the one I had lost. (the one they gave me had more "plastic" left to it). Lexus doesn't sell just the moulding.............one has to buy the window along with it to the tune of close to $300 (plus installation). All one has to do is do a search on Ebay and you'll find at least a dozen quarter windows available............all without mouldings. I'm sure these are all windows that have been replaced because somehow the moulding came off..........most likely in a car wash. By the way I went through another car wash a few days ago and the replaced moulding came off.
Old 06-22-13, 07:11 PM
eisens
Rookie

I have the same issue (back right window plastic is gone).

But I found a link where you can apparently buy just the plastic and glass pretty cheaply ($25). http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...81880E010.html

Don't know why you can't buy this and just put on the trim. . .
Old 06-22-13, 07:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by eisens
I have the same issue (back right window plastic is gone).

But I found a link where you can apparently buy just the plastic and glass pretty cheaply ($25). http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...81880E010.html

Don't know why you can't buy this and just put on the trim. . .

Sorry, but that is just weather stripping around the window and not the trim piece itself.

What you would be looking for would be this:

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...roduct=5732289

Click on the Fullsize Image link on the above to see what I am referring to.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 06-22-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 12:12 PM
Distractog
Driver School Candidate

The rear quarter window trim losses are ridiculous and Lexus's solution is even more ridiculous. This is obviously a design flaw that Lexus should fix for free. Has anyone suggested that we start a class action lawsuit? We can't be the only Lexus owners out there with this problem. Lexus is making money when we buy the whole window assembly in order to replace just the trim.

I've lost the trim on both sides. Lexus needs to replace them for free.

Any suggestions on where to write?
Thanks-
Ann
Old 06-26-13, 06:18 AM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

This issue weighs on my mind and prevents me from going to the car wash, the one with a 100 mph dryer.

Update, the right side blew off on the highway. One down, one to go.

Last edited by DPJ; 06-09-14 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-13-13, 12:10 PM
hcorneli
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine fell off too.

Yes, mine fell off. I just happened to be looking in the mirror as I was changing lanes and saw the driver's side trim launch itself off the vehicle. It hit the hood and windshield of the car behind me. Luckily a motorcycle that had been behind me a few moments later had passed. I suggested to Lexus this was a safety issue. It may not be a safety issue for the occupants of the Lexus, but it could easily cause a motorcyclist to become maimed or killed. They did offer to split the cost with me for something they said would be in the mid 300 dollar range. We don't have much of an option but to bend over for them. I made a complaint to the government agency which is supposed to be the watchdog that forces companies to perform recalls. I suggest everybody do this. Also, when talking to Lexus HQ on the phone, an announcement comes on saying the call may be recorded, so I did. If you know of anybody getting injured by one of these falling off who is in the process of suing Lexus for their injuries, please let me know. I would gladly give anybody the recording of the conversation proving that they were aware of the problem. It's idiotic to charge for a whole glass assembly for something that they taped on. They should be hiring some auto glass company to go to the homes of everyone who owns one of these vehicles and having the molding securely mounted. And, of course, they should be supplying just the molding for these repairs. But hey!, we are just customers. What do they care?
Old 10-13-13, 12:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

You have to wonder if these could be 3D printed in gloss black.
Old 01-04-14, 11:55 AM
walsh54
Driver School Candidate

My rear quarter panel window frame fell off on both sides. I called Lexus customer satisfaction and they agreed to pay for the window but, not the labor. If you all are still having trouble getting the window frames try calling 1-800-255-3987 and speak with Bethany, Richard, or Ellen. Ive also tried different parts site (Quality Auto, Etc) and they told me that Lexus made them stop selling the frame.
I hope this helps you.
Michael Walsh
Old 01-04-14, 01:43 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The hilarious thing is corporate scleroses prevents them from simply ordering a supply of the trim pieces and just replacing missing ones as cars come in for service. Distributing that piece would be far cheaper than facing yet another forced recall. This is a ten page thread just on this forum, why have they allowed this 2 dollar part to even become an issue?

I'll tell you why, it's safer to allow these things to blow up on Lexus than for some executive to risk his career by trying to solve the problem. It's simply the nature of large organizations, government or private, people who stick their heads up tend to get them chopped off.

LexExec1: This window trim thing is getting worse as these sleds get older, should we do something?

LexExec2: What about the liability if we admit this was a manufacturing fault? What if there are documented cases of cars and people being hit and harmed by our faulty part?

LexExec1: Yeah, I guess you're right, we'll ignore it until it gets serious like the headlight thing and then slip it right over to legal and let them handle it.

LexExec2: Yeah, wanna grab some Thai for lunch?
Old 02-04-14, 07:40 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I just noticed that Sewell had the part for a bit cheaper now. Around $105 our cost plus shipping.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/6585.html

Not sure when they posted this or if this is even news to report. Good to know it is there just in case. More on that later...
Old 02-05-14, 07:10 AM
MyLparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey everyone use CL5 discount code at www.MyLparts.com and you can get this window for $103.34 with only $5 shipping. Thanks!
Old 02-05-14, 02:27 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLparts
Hey everyone use CL5 discount code at www.MyLparts.com and you can get this window for $103.34 with only $5 shipping. Thanks!
I will check out your site shortly...
Old 06-08-14, 05:10 PM
Chicagojoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing quarter window trim - 04 RX330

After scouring the forums trying to find an easy way to fix the quarter window trim on my 2004 RX330, I bit the bullet and ordered a new window from Sewell for the right side which had been lost. The left side basically fell off in my hands when I gently pulled.

For the new window I first removed some of the excess material on the back side of the three pins which hold the trim to the window frame using a utility knife. This allowed the pins to be pulled from the frame.

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330-qtrwinrep-8028.jpg

I used some mono filament fishing line to cut the tape holding the trim to the frame.

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330-qtrwinrep-8029.jpg

Once separated from the new window, the treatment for both pieces of trim was the same. i scraped the old tape off the pieces using a cold chisel (not too sharp) and cleaned them with denatured alcohol and paper towel. I cleaned the rubber molding on the car using denatured alcohol also.

To attach the trim, I purchased 3M trim tape and silicon sealant.
Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330-qtrwinrep-8033.jpg

I cut the trim tape to fit as seen below
Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330-qtrwinrep-8034.jpg

And put a dab of silicon sealant in each hold to hold the pins which are now missing the excess material to hold them in. I next removed the red backing tape and pressed the trim into place. The only problem I had was it seems the rubber molding on the left side did not perfectly fit the molding, so there was a small gap between the window and the trim at the corner (1/16") which i filled with a little silicon to prevent whistling.

So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330-qtrwinrep-8035.jpg  
Old 07-29-14, 07:46 AM
RickCJ7
Driver School Candidate

The molding fell off my 2005 RX330 as well. Grr. I have purchased a replacement quarter glass for my car, with the molding attached. Instead of taking the molding off and putting it on my existing glass, are there any instructions on how to replace the glass? It looks like there are three pins that hold the glass in place. Looks like it should be a simple replacement, but I want to see if there are instructions out there.

Quick Reply: Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330