RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 06:37 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Been there, done that

The part you are talking about came loose on our 2004 RX330. My wife noticed it starting to make a rattling noise as it was coming loose and carefully pulled it off and gave it to her mechanic (me).

The L-shaped piece of plastic is held on by double-sided foam tape. This is the same kind of tape many moldings are attached with. I think the shape and placement of the part catches the wind and the constant wind force can eventually loosen the seal.

Fix is pretty easy if you still have the part.

Scrape off the old tape from the car and the plastic moulding. Use a good solvent to clean off the residue and a scaping tool. I think I used Goof-Off, a putty knife and elbow grease.

Buy some 3M moulding tape at Wally World or wherever you choose.

Cut the tape into pieces that will result in nearly full attachment of the plastic part. Pull the backing off the side that will attach to the trim piece and affix it. Not to worry, if you screw up, it will pull off without too much effort.

Then, once the plastic part has all the peices on it, pull the other backing off. Now comes the only not-so-easy part. You have to carefully attach the adhesive foam tape to the window frame. Note that there are indexing protrusions on the plastic part and holes on the car to help you locate the part correctly when you re-attach. I think that the protrusions are held from the inside of the car when first attached, but that gets broken off when the trim panel comes off and unless you want to take your interior apart, you are not going to get at it. Not to worry, the 3M adhesive is plenty strong enough. You need to line the whole thing up before you finally attach the whole thing. Give it a good press all over and you are done. I think it cost like $5.

If your part fell off, you either get to pay the dealer WAY too much money, or shop eBay or a salvage yard.

By the way, if I had had to pay what some of you folks are saying a dealer charged for a replacement, that would have been the last Lexus I ever buy.

Instead, we just got an RX400H. Some dolt driving HUA rear-ended and totaled out our beloved RX330 that I had so carefully fixed.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by doverrx330
The rear quarter molding fell off my vehicle. Has this happened to anyone? If so, how much did it cost at the dealer and what is the part called?

Last edited by nopcbs; 01-09-12 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 06:44 AM
CarolinaCS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please share!

Originally Posted by LexusRX400
I own a 2006 RX 400h and the passenger side rear moulding fell off while driving on the freeway. I called Lexus and spoke with the manager from the Service Dept. I explained the situation and he said that this happened to him as well. He called back later and told me they would replace it for free. I believe they will have to order the window also because there is no part number for just the moulding.
I am very happy to hear this because I am only speaking with the salesman. Do you mind sharing the number/office you called? Also, the manager's last name? I only ask this because it would be very nice to speak with someone who understands what I am telling them. My word that I will not reference that he repaired others for free. Thank you, have a wonderful new year!
Old 01-19-12, 09:58 PM
LexusRX400
Driver School Candidate

The dealership we purchased the car is called Lexus of Pleasanton. This is in California. Ask for the service manager and tell him your story.
Old 06-05-12, 06:20 PM
malagente4
Driver School Candidate

Default Window molding and AC hose

My Lexus RX330 rear side window molding became loose, and then fell completely while driving. I can't find it anywhere. I am Lexus biggest fan, because truly I have never had or seen such wonderful quality, compared to every car in their category or "better" none compare. But I have had the AC hose issue repaired and it still clogs and causes a leak inside the car, which damages the carpet. I had to replace the carpet once already because of the humid smell, and now this trim issue which had NO REASON to fall since nobody touches it, and it hasn't been hit in any way. How disappointing is this to hear this has happened so often and Lexus doesn't notify their customers to at least watch it and how to prevent it! (or recalls the cars to use better glue)
Old 07-11-12, 10:43 PM
turbanator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doverrx330
The rear quarter molding fell off my vehicle. Has this happened to anyone? If so, how much did it cost at the dealer and what is the part called?
My RX 330's rear quarter window molding fell off as well (some where on the 405 freeway). Whats the best place to buy the cheapest molding online? can you pls guide
Old 07-12-12, 12:15 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by turbanator
My RX 330's rear quarter window molding fell off as well (some where on the 405 freeway). Whats the best place to buy the cheapest molding online? can you pls guide
Welcom to Club Lexus, turbanator.

The molding itself is not available. One of our long held complaints here at Club Lexus. It comes as a package of glass and trim. When I had to have mine replaced under warranty some time ago they replaced the whole window at the dealership.

Please take some time to read this thread in its entirety as well as search the forum here for RX330 and window trim. You will find a number of existing threads on the topic.
Old 07-18-12, 12:56 PM
turbanator
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Are you talking about the rear quarter window molding?
Thats correct!!. Can you pls advise of an economical alternative ?
Old 07-18-12, 12:57 PM
turbanator
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcom to Club Lexus, turbanator.

The molding itself is not available. One of our long held complaints here at Club Lexus. It comes as a package of glass and trim. When I had to have mine replaced under warranty some time ago they replaced the whole window at the dealership.

Please take some time to read this thread in its entirety as well as search the forum here for RX330 and window trim. You will find a number of existing threads on the topic.
Thanks and appreciate your response..
Old 07-18-12, 12:58 PM
turbanator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CarolinaCS
I am very happy to hear this because I am only speaking with the salesman. Do you mind sharing the number/office you called? Also, the manager's last name? I only ask this because it would be very nice to speak with someone who understands what I am telling them. My word that I will not reference that he repaired others for free. Thank you, have a wonderful new year!
Send me the details of the manager , if possible.
Old 07-31-12, 11:35 AM
swanscn
7th Gear

I like many others hear have had this issue, and like most have just moved on. Our 2005RX Thunder-Cloud edition (makes the part cost even more) lost this part on the passengers side a few years back. Like so many others I requested the dealer look into this as in my opinion pieces should not just be randomly falling off vehicles. It became apparent that nothing was going to come from this exercise so we have been driving the car for the past 2 years without the plastic trim piece. And also like others we have the stuck CD which is going to remain forever stuck since the fix is just so expensive. And now we have the Radiator lower seem failure for which the is a TSB where they have extended the coverage to 7 years or 90K miles. This one I am pushing to get fixed, by the way I forgot to mention there are only 41K miles on this car. I find it interesting that I had to give the dealer the TSB number and issue date and then they have to contact Lexus for "Good Will' even though I am within the 7 years (barely) and well less than 90K miles.
We will see what happens, and like others I would just epoxy the piece in place and call it a day. That is if I could get one.
Old 07-31-12, 12:20 PM
tfischer

Received 227 Likes on 167 Posts

I don't understand this: "Thunder-Cloud edition (makes the part cost even more) . . ."
The TC edition exterior items, as I recall, are the paint color, the grille and the wheels, none of which would have anything to do with the trim pieces. Even the TC Grille, which I added to my car, costs the same as the standard grille.
The window trim "package" is terribly expensive if all you need to do is replace the actual trim piece, but it should be no different, I would think, on a TC or any other variant of the RX330.
Old 08-22-12, 06:52 PM
Lolodo
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am a new owner (bought from original owner) of an '05 RX 330 with the missing rear quarter window molding. This thread has been very helpful- Thank you- and I am going to contact a local dealership service manager to see if I can find some "good will". I love this car and am very satisfied/excited with everything else on it. Previously, I owned a '99 Saab 9-3 convertible and a '01 Saab convertible. Needed more room for golf clubs and grandchild's car seat!
Thanks for the opportunity to research options in these forums.
Old 02-14-13, 08:02 AM
Cap
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear quarter window trim

I also had the trim come off on my 04 RX330 yesterday and we had just purchased it used from Valley Lexus in Modesto,Ca. a couple of weeks ago. The dealership offered to sell me the window assy. for a great price since that is the only way you can get the trim. I looked and saw that the trim on the other window had a small piece broken off so I purchased both windows and will have them installed when I get them. I was very happy with the dealership and the sales, service and parts departments. I am however disappointed that the trim is not available separately by Lexus and should be addressed since there is no problem with the window and they obviously make the trim piece to go on the window assy. already. The dealer told me that this is a fairly common problem on RX 330's.

Last edited by Cap; 02-14-13 at 08:04 AM. Reason: omitted a word
Old 02-14-13, 09:15 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced mine after the driver's side fell off (passenger side for you US guys). I put some good double-sided tape down but that is failing on the corner bit. I might just have to glue it down instead. I got my replacement piece from a wreckers yard who removed the trim for me. Cheaper than buying a new window!
Old 02-14-13, 09:51 PM
simplytab
Driver School Candidate

Driver side rear trim off the little quarter window just flew off our 2008 RX350 on the way home from El Paso. Not liking the idea of having to buy the whole new window for a scrap of shiny plastic

Quick Reply: Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330