RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Solved My Headlamp Condensation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 02:17 PM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved My Headlamp Condensation Problem

My left headlamp (HID-AFS) kept getting condensation in it. I took some Dow Corning valve lubricant and sealant and with my finger I sealed around the turn lamp (where it plugs in)and the large gray plastic plate that covers the AFS bulb. That was three weeks ago and I have not had a problem since. This sealant is good from -40F to +400F and is non curing. If you are careful you can do it without removing the lamp unit. I dried the unit out twice with low heat, but it came right back! After drying it out the third time I sealed it and no more problem.
Old 02-03-10, 02:55 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Wish I was that intelligent. I tore down the headlamp and found the leak. Sealed it where you said above and it was done, no more condensation. Used a silicone seal.

I would have just sealed the top portion (as it was the source of the leak) and be done with it. But I had to take off the bumper and unclip the fender. But learned a lot along the way!

But hey, no more fuzzy headlamp!

I would recommend what you did before tearing the HL apart.

Great idea!
Old 02-03-10, 06:11 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

This stuff?

http://www.neelyindustries.com/p-909...ster-pack.aspx
Old 02-03-10, 07:37 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Wish I was that intelligent. I tore down the headlamp and found the leak. Sealed it where you said above and it was done, no more condensation. Used a silicone seal.

I would have just sealed the top portion (as it was the source of the leak) and be done with it. But I had to take off the bumper and unclip the fender. But learned a lot along the way!

But hey, no more fuzzy headlamp!

I would recommend what you did before tearing the HL apart.

Great idea!
I took everything apart as well, and was also glad I did as I learned quite a bit. And when I was finished with the ballst replacement and headlamp resealing, it really was not that bad.
Old 02-04-10, 04:43 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL

This is the stuff. Only mine is in a large tube that I've had laying arount for about 20 years.
Old 03-17-10, 01:45 PM
bagsbie
Driver

I am drying the right headlamp as we speak... Picked up some of that lubricant/sealant in an 11oz tube. Let's see how it goes...
Old 03-17-10, 09:06 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I took the same approach as mandyfig and mmlex1987 for my passenger side headlight, and had positive results. What a relief not to have any more condensation. The price of the Dow Corning sealant vs the price of a new headlight unit (HID-AFS) certainly makes it worth trying...
Old 03-18-10, 06:52 AM
sunny068
Driver

My headlight stopped working last night, literally! I have an appt with Lexus tomorrow. I asked them to fix it as a courtesy and they said "they would see what they could do."

Fivewilds, do you think you could give me a step-by-step on how to dry the lamps out please (Im a novice)?

Also, how do I acces the part of the headlight that needs to be sealed? Is it just under the hood or do I need to unscrew something and pull something out? Any assistance would be golden!

Thanks guys
Old 03-18-10, 07:08 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sunny068
My headlight stopped working last night, literally! I have an appt with Lexus tomorrow. I asked them to fix it as a courtesy and they said "they would see what they could do."

Fivewilds, do you think you could give me a step-by-step on how to dry the lamps out please (Im a novice)?

Also, how do I acces the part of the headlight that needs to be sealed? Is it just under the hood or do I need to unscrew something and pull something out? Any assistance would be golden!

Thanks guys
I set an electric heater about two feet away. It took about 3 hours to dry it out. You might aim it toward the sun for a few hours also - that may do it.
I just lifted the hood and reached in and sealed around the turnlamp and around the plate that covers the AFS lamp. I've had no problem since. Good Luck!
Old 03-18-10, 07:35 AM
sunny068
Driver

Excellent. Thanks so much. Hopefully the dealer can replace my HID and I'll tell them to seal around them. I'll let you know the results or if Im forced to play DIY with it
Old 03-18-10, 09:18 AM
mandyfig

Hope your HID is covered under warranty. It is a bunch of $$.
Old 03-18-10, 07:18 PM
bagsbie
Driver

Originally Posted by Fivewilds
I set an electric heater about two feet away. It took about 3 hours to dry it out. You might aim it toward the sun for a few hours also - that may do it.
I just lifted the hood and reached in and sealed around the turnlamp and around the plate that covers the AFS lamp. I've had no problem since. Good Luck!
I used my wife's hair dryer ( she does not know it either), set it on low heat but occasionally would switch it to high to blast it with a hot air. I actually set the dryer nozzle right into the opening for the AFS lamp. it took less than 40 minutes...
Old 03-19-10, 10:44 AM
sunny068
Driver

So the dealer said that Lexus issued a "technical bulletin" instructing them to replace the headlight assembly ... not dry out the bulbs and seal around it. Since im out of warranty they told me to just pay the $350 in labor and they would throw in the parts for free. Im gonna def try to seal them myself first.
Old 03-19-10, 11:27 AM
mandyfig

$350 for a new headlamp assy is not bad. The headlamp itself is $350.00. I bet you they will install a used one.

Anyway try to seal it, you should be ok.
Old 03-31-10, 06:05 PM
japoipnoi
Driver School Candidate

Default Lamin-X

http://www.lamin-x.com/Lexus-RX330-0...ers-p/l008.htm
My solution is to protect
the headlights from the start
with these protective
stickers. Use a blow dryer
to cure to the shape
of the headlights and