RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cabin Air Filer, OEM vs Fram Fresh Breeze CF10157

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 09:23 AM
nativecal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Air Filer, OEM vs Fram Fresh Breeze CF10157

I searched and couldn’t find anything on this topic, so I apologize if this has been discussed before. I decided to purchase a Fram Fresh Breeze Cabin Air filter. One of my requirements, was it had to have the same charcoal technology as in the OEM. The Fresh Breeze had that requirement plus more. In fact, the Fram was the ONLY one other then OEM I have found with Charcoal. Here are my observations.

Fram Fresh Breeze (as compared to OEM part number 87139-YZZ03)

Model purchased CF10157 (for a 2006 Lexus RX330).
Has the Charcoal impregnation (a requirement for this comparison)
Has Arm and Hammer Baking Soda (not included on the OEM)
Package is sealed and keeps Charcoal & Baking soda fresh

I found the Breeze, to have a fit and finish similar to OEM although I did notice that the Breeze had about half the pleats (filter element) compared to the OEM. My non professional opinion would make me think this would result in LESS filtering of the air entering the cabin. I also found the “FLOW” indication printed on the side of the filter confusing as the OEM has an “UP” along with an arrow printed. A quick look at the old filter indicated which way was “UP” (it was the opposite of the OEM). In other words, the OEM “UP” is up (like towards the roof of the car) whereas the Fram “FLOW” is DOWN (like towards the floorboard).

I found the Breeze (edges) was much stiffer than the OEM, making more difficult (although not by much) to put in the filer case. In fact, I found it stiff enough to cause me concern that I might break the plastic case (filter holder) before I can get the Breeze into the case.

The Breeze runs about $19 at Wal-Mart, sometimes you can find it cheaper. The OEM runs about $24 online (iron toad) and $30 at the dealer (after some prodding for a discount).

Would I buy the Fram again? Most likely not. Mainly I find the cost difference is negligible compared to OEM and required more “thinking” when installing it.

I must come clean here, I do 100% of my own maintenance and use 100% OEM parts. Since this item is not “mission critical” and would not cause any damage should there be a failure, I went ahead and tried this product.

I hope you find this useful.
Old 02-24-10, 05:17 AM
motorking
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Cabin Air Filters

Originally Posted by nativecal
I searched and couldn’t find anything on this topic, so I apologize if this has been discussed before. I decided to purchase a Fram Fresh Breeze Cabin Air filter. One of my requirements, was it had to have the same charcoal technology as in the OEM. The Fresh Breeze had that requirement plus more. In fact, the Fram was the ONLY one other then OEM I have found with Charcoal. Here are my observations.

I found the Breeze, to have a fit and finish similar to OEM although I did notice that the Breeze had about half the pleats (filter element) compared to the OEM. My non professional opinion would make me think this would result in LESS filtering of the air entering the cabin. I also found the “FLOW” indication printed on the side of the filter confusing as the OEM has an “UP” along with an arrow printed. A quick look at the old filter indicated which way was “UP” (it was the opposite of the OEM). In other words, the OEM “UP” is up (like towards the roof of the car) whereas the Fram “FLOW” is DOWN (like towards the floorboard).

I found the Breeze (edges) was much stiffer than the OEM, making more difficult (although not by much) to put in the filer case. In fact, I found it stiff enough to cause me concern that I might break the plastic case (filter holder) before I can get the Breeze into the case.

The Breeze runs about $19 at Wal-Mart, sometimes you can find it cheaper. The OEM runs about $24 online (iron toad) and $30 at the dealer (after some prodding for a discount).

Would I buy the Fram again? Most likely not. Mainly I find the cost difference is negligible compared to OEM and required more “thinking” when installing it.

I must come clean here, I do 100% of my own maintenance and use 100% OEM parts. Since this item is not “mission critical” and would not cause any damage should there be a failure, I went ahead and tried this product.

Good Morning,
I am the technical manager for FRAM. I am looking over your comments and I apoligize if the filter was difficult to install. We are actually changing the stamp from "flow direction" to say "this side up" in response from users of the product. Did you find the enclosed installation instructions usefull? I would like to point out that counting the number of pleats is not an indication of filtering ability. The media we use is an engineered cellulose/synthetic weave that is 99% efficient at remove dust and dirt particles smaller than 10 microns. It also has Arm and Hammer baking soda impregnated into it that actually absorbs odors and blocks them from entering the vehicle. Thanks for your input and using our product.
If you have any filtration questions, I can answer them at Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com
Old 02-24-10, 05:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nativecal

Amazon.com has the Fram Breeze for the RX350 for $13.04 with free shipping if you spend $25 so you have to buy 2 filters.Seems like a great deal.

FRAM CF10132 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter

Price: $13.04 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.

RX 330's Fram 10157 for $14.45

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-24-10 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-26-10, 09:27 AM
mws4ua
Driver School Candidate

To be clear... the air flow moves down? So, if I get a filter and it says "FLOW ^" I should point the arrow to the floor?

Also... Logical-Source.com has cabin air filters for $10.26 shipped. Is there a reason these filters wouldn't be as good?
Old 02-28-10, 11:16 PM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Yep, good heads up on the alternative FRAM CF10157. I'll check with the quality of the filter when I get a chance to drop by Walmart.