RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just Installed Short Ram Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 04:02 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ppatel821
Yes, colder air is better because it is more compressed therefore it contains more oxygen my volume which results in more combustion, however in a vehicle like this where is it very easy to get water into the intake, it is not safe to have it that low. The kit came with a pipe to place the filter wherever it chose, but for now, this is fine. im not trying to get water and more dirt sucked up into the engine.
I don't think anyone is recommending that you place the filter down low where it can get wet, but rather attach some sort of flex tubing that can draw colder air from the front of the vehicle that would help with getting cooler air to the filter.

Having said that, engine air temps aren't always hot enough that it has a negative effect on CAI (This was tested with a meter in an engine so yes I'm speaking from tried and true testings). This of course varies from car to car.

Originally Posted by Lexmex
One of the other things I did to cool that area was remove the rubber cladding that. See blue line below based on above picture.
I wouldn't recommend doing this as that rubber seal aids in routing water away from inside the engine bay. It acts as a seal between the hood and engine as water rolls down the windshield towards the engine.
Old 02-25-10, 04:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
I don't think anyone is recommending that you place the filter down low where it can get wet, but rather attach some sort of flex tubing that can draw colder air from the front of the vehicle that would help with getting cooler air to the filter.

Having said that, engine air temps aren't always hot enough that it has a negative effect on CAI (This was tested with a meter in an engine so yes I'm speaking from tried and true testings). This of course varies from car to car.

I wouldn't recommend doing this as that rubber seal aids in routing water away from inside the engine bay. It acts as a seal between the hood and engine as water rolls down the windshield towards the engine.
I've had this done for several years and never an issue even in a car wash.
Old 02-25-10, 04:55 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on the Weapon-R on your new Lexus. I have it on my 05 RX. I have a custom dual exhaust system- FlowMaster cats, mufflers and resonators. This make a world of difference.
I hope the best in your project.
As mentioned earlier when I get my next oil change I'll take photos of my set-up and post it.
Once again good luck.
Chris
Old 03-01-10, 06:58 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
Congratulations on the Weapon-R on your new Lexus. I have it on my 05 RX. I have a custom dual exhaust system- FlowMaster cats, mufflers and resonators. This make a world of difference.
I hope the best in your project.
As mentioned earlier when I get my next oil change I'll take photos of my set-up and post it.
Once again good luck.
Chris
That would just make me beat the Hell out of it!!
Old 11-19-13, 10:30 PM
JProdun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Lots of talking here about how awesome the intake is etc. etc.

Pictures and videos please!
Old 11-19-13, 11:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JProdun
Lots of talking here about how awesome the intake is etc. etc.

Pictures and videos please!
The pictures on the first page are probably all you will ever see on this thread as it is now more than 3.5 years old. The OP has not been active on CL since August, 2010. You might try sending a PM to diverchris to see if he will post pictures of his air intake setup -- if he still has it on his RX.
Old 11-19-13, 11:48 PM
JProdun
Driver

I see...

I feel like I've jumped on this forum too late...

Lots of people who've done some mild modifications, something I'd be looking into, are no longer active and I've seen posts that were interesting to me that are up to 8 years old...

Well, I got my 04 RX330 almost 2 years ago, but only starting with modifications now. Decided to keep it for all of it's awesomness and utility, but just make it a bit more suitable for my driving style preference.
Old 11-22-13, 02:39 PM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default for posterity

Has anyone else done this? If so, any advice on what to look out for when removing air box?
Old 11-22-13, 09:12 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I was going to say, it may sound better, but youre just sucking in hot air.
Old 11-23-13, 11:45 PM
JProdun
Driver

Ordered one... We'll see... Will probably be fine through the winter, but will get/make an air box and have some type of a pipe going to the fron from the intake.
Old 08-22-22, 02:15 PM
ttega07
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppatel821
Hey guys,
I just got done installing a short ram air intake into my '07 RX 350. I installed a Weapon R Secret Weapon Air Intake. Took me about 30 minutes to install. It sounds absolutely amazing and I can feel the slight increase in hp. Its suppose to increase mpg, however I love the sound of the intake so I tend to punch it a lot haha.
Ive included some pics.
Lemmie know if you have any questions.
Spoiler

Old 08-27-22, 10:35 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 977 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by ttega07
Spoiler

Welcome to Club Lexus and your 1st post.
I been thinking about getting one too.
Waiting to hear how others like it first.