RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

how safe are we in our lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 02:12 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonami
with these on going recalls, and incidents with toyotas. how safe is our lexus? i am very concerned about my wife driving her 06 rx400h with our 4months baby girl.... didn't even bother asking SA at dealer cause they won't tell me anything... is it just the ones that was assembled/manufactured in us/canada? are the vehicles manufactured in japan(vin starting with J) is okay? just wanted to see what you guys thought about it...
Your RX400h was built in Japan.

Is it safe??? I believe so, there doesn't seem to be a recall on RX models
Old 06-22-10, 04:53 PM
rxnewb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 968racer
Car & Driver tested a Camry with wide open throttle at 70MPH & slammed on the brakes. It took only 10 feet longer to stop than if the throttle would have been lifted. Interesting
You all realize that the Lexus RX is built on a Camry chassis.
Old 06-22-10, 09:17 PM
LexFather

We just got a CPO RX 400h and its the wife's daily and she is a very bright lady. She thinks the car is very safe and loves it thus far.
Old 07-14-10, 08:28 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

There has been an update on run-away Toyo/Lexus ..
It seems we are safe as the driver wants us to be.

Salim
Old 07-14-10, 09:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rxnewb
You all realize that the Lexus RX is built on a Camry chassis.
Nope,an ES Chassis
Old 07-14-10, 10:48 AM
jones1950
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
There has been an update on run-away Toyo/Lexus ..
It seems we are safe as the driver wants us to be.

Salim
Exactly.

NPR reported today that crashes were due to the drivers being idiots.
Old 07-14-10, 12:16 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968racer
There doesn't seem to be any testing that I could find on the roof strength but the Toyota Highlander did have over Good ratings (Highest rating possible) for frontal offset & side impact. The RX330 faired Poor on rear impact injuries. I would imagine that the Hybrid would have very similar results but I could be wrong.

I have my child seat in the center back seat. It's more of a pain to put my son in the middle but would have a hard time forgiving myself if there was a side impact that did injure him.
I would recommend always putting a child in the middle vs. the side of the rear seat on ANY car. Our son was less than 1 when my wife, driving our '87 Chevrolet Celebrity wagon was broadsided by a guy running a red light @ 45 mph. Other than being showered with glass, he was fine. The car bent in the middle and of course was totaled. The other guys license plate came off and was embedded in the left rear door.

Anyhow, our son is 23 now and that's long in the past
Old 07-14-10, 05:31 PM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this whole toyota safety issue is blown out of proportion. It's idiot drivers, not the car. Here is proof from US DOT tests:
After receiving more than 3,000 reports of sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles, the U.S. Department of Transportation has concluded that driver error was actually at fault. According to The Wall Street Journal, investigators analyzing different data recorders from Toyota vehicles found that at the time of these sudden acceleration crashes, the throttles were wide open rather and the brakes were not depressed. Thus, they have reason to believe that drivers were mistakenly stomping on the accelerator rather than slamming the brakes in an attempt to avoid these crashes.

Of the 75 fatal crashes blamed on sudden acceleration, only one incident has actually been verified as being caused by vehicle fault – the Lexus ES350 accident that killed a California highway patrolman and three other passengers last August. Even so, this case was chalked up as an incident where the floor mat trapped the gas pedal, which Toyota quickly issued a recall for.

The WSJ also reports that U.S. Transportation Department officials have stated publicly that they have yet to find any electronic glitches in Toyota vehicles that could lead to these crashes. The only defects proven to be true are those that have been outlined by Toyota itself – floor mats and sticky accelerator pedals that are slow to return to idle.

So while Toyota may not have been at fault in these sudden acceleration cases, the automaker's image has indeed been seriously tarnished over the past few months. Over eight million Toyota vehicles have been recalled worldwide – a large blemish in automotive history, and it appears that much of the hand-wringing may have been for naught
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/13/b...pplication-in/

The gas pedal thing seems to be overly exaggerated by the US government and media like to increase domestic brand sales. Not to mention all the dodge/Chrysler recalls have no media coverage whatsoever. The fatal highway crash in the ES was caused by wrongfully placing RX mats into the car. Hardly a 'defect'. Cars have been operating fine for 100 years without hooks on their floor mats just be thankful toyota decided to take the responsibility upon themselves to fit mat hooks on their cars. It's like McDonalds having to put the words "hot beverage" on their coffee cups so idiot patrons cant sue them. Sad thing society has come to for blaming others for self inflicted mistakes. I guess that's how the human race is though, blame problems on others and do whatever to make a buck.

Last edited by action; 07-14-10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 10:28 AM
salimshah

Here is an update

http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/11/auto...tion/index.htm

Salim
Old 08-19-10, 06:47 PM
sks73
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus RX 350 brakes

I have a 2010 RX350 AWD, I bought it little over 3 months ago and it has about 6500 miles on it. I love this car and have had no issues with it. Over the last week twice I have had issues with the brake (or may be I thought I had issues). The first time was last weekend, we were driving through a suburb at 30-40 miles, I applied brakes and felt the paddle very stiff as resistant,. I got alarmed and slammed my foot on the brake again, and the brake worked. Since this had never happened before, I did not get too concerned. 5 days later this happened again, my speed was under 50mph and I tried to apply brakes to slow the car approaching a red light and the brake paddle would not yield. I pressed the paddle quickly a couple of times and the brake worked. I did have an all season floor mat that I am not sure had anything to do with it, I have taken it out and over the last 24 hours I have had no further issues. I am taking my car to the dealer this weekend. Has anybody else had any such problems.
Old 02-08-11, 06:59 PM
salimshah

Latest on runaway Lexus/Toyota

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/08/auto...dex.htm?hpt=T2

Salim
Old 02-08-11, 07:57 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Reminds me a "syringe-in-a-coke-can" story from about 15 years ago. Back then, someone had allegedly found a used syringe in a coca cola can and for the next few weeks everybody and their brothers all over the USA were finding all kind of medical equipment, nuts, bolts, nails and screws inside coke cans.

Interestingly enough, not one incident coke was reported outside of the US.