RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Questions on Sirius radio / aftermarket backup camera / Bull bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 05:57 PM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on Sirius radio / aftermarket backup camera / Bull bar?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so go easy on me. I recently purchased a used 2008 Lexus RX350 from a Lexus dealer. It has the premium plus, heated seat/rain sense wiper and TO packages but no Navigation and backup camera. It is black with black leather interior. It has Sirius radio installed and still works.

The car has only 14K+ miles on it when I bought it February. It just came off lease. It's not a certified pre-own but the dealer told me since the car is so new and only has 14K miles on it, it doesn't really need to be a certified pre-own. I purchased the 75,000 miles or 8 years extended warranty for $2300. The car was sold for $32,000. With the dealer fees, extended warranty and tax it came out to almost $39,000. I hope I made a good buy.

I also installed an Uhaul hitch for $250 and added a cheap 36" hitch step as a bumper guard.

Here are my questions:

1) The Sirius radio still works on the car. Did the previous owner paid the service in advance? Will Sirius later realize the service wasn't paid and shut it off? This is the first time I ever had Sirius radio.

2) I'm thinking of adding an aftermarket backup camera. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Safety-Ba...=pd_sbs_auto_1.

How would I go about installing that? I've search the forum but I couldn't find any instruction with pictures on how to install it. I figure that some models has backup camera so there got to be a way to run the wire into the trunk through the panels then down to the backup light for the power source. I don't want to drill any holes on the back of the license plate. Anyone with links to previous posts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

3) What other brand of backup camera would you guys suggest? For a 7" display, would you guys put it on the sun visor and run the power to the cigarette lighter port?

4) As previous mentioned I install a tow hitch with a hitch step as bumper guard. I didn't install the wiring. Is wiring simple to do? My RX has the "TO" package which has the transmission cooler. I’m not sure if it has pre-installed hitch wiring. How would I find out?

5) Should I install a bull bar? Does it really help to protect the front bumper? It's about $400 for the installation and part.

Well, that's a lot of questions. I apologize if some of the questions have been asked before. I've browse through may posts but didn't find the answers I’m looking for.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Last edited by daihung; 03-03-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 08:47 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus would start production of the 2008 model in early 2007. As to the price you paid, is the RX an All Wheel drive model? If so, $32,000 would be about right. If it is a FWD, you paid too much. Also the 75/8 extended warranty was over priced.

What are you going to tow with this vehicle? Honestly, I can count on my fingers the number of times that I have seen an RX towing anything and have never seen an RX with a Bull Bar. Of course I live in California and if folks are going to be towing it will generally be with a truck.

Use the "search forum" function to look for information on the backup camera. I seem to recall that an after-market camera is the way to go and is is an easy DIY.
Old 03-04-10, 09:40 AM
Maverick16
Driver School Candidate

I have a friend with the Bull Bar on his RX. He says it was more for the look than any *real* protection. It's probably not worth the $400 unless you happen to really like the look.
Old 03-04-10, 09:51 AM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

It's an AWD. I was attracted to the car due to its low mileage. The 75/8 extended warranty is their "premium extended warranty." Maybe they like to call everything "premium." What would be the right price? How much did I get ripped off?

I live in NYC and I often have to park on the streets. Lots of cars here have bull bars and grilles. I like the idea of having a bull bar that protects the front bumper from other cars backing up and hit me. However, it looks kind of bulky and I like the look just as is, so I'm still considering. It’ll be another $400 I’ll have to spend.

I did search the RX forum and found many posts about aftermarket camera but I couldn't find one with pictures and instruction how to run the wire into the car. I think it has to run it through the light for the rear license plate and up to the backup light. I've never done mod to cars so this is going to be a big project for me. I don't want to pay $100-200 to have people install it.

As for the hitch, right now I'm not towing anything. I installed it thinking that I might use a hitch bike carrier. I can also attach a tray to carry extra stuff like coolers if I go camping. However, now I might put the bike up on the roof because this way it will not block access to the liftgage. I'm still thinking how I am able to lift a bike that high and getting it down. I read on this forum that if I have the "TO" package, there should be wiring done to the bottom left of the car. I just have to find it if I do need it in the future.

As for the Sirius radio, any inputs?

Thanks.

Last edited by daihung; 03-04-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-04-10, 10:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by daihung

As for the Sirius radio, any inputs?

Thanks.

Enjoy Sirius for free and purchase if it is shut off.
Some people have Sirius for free for a long time.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-04-10 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-04-10, 11:19 AM
Maverick16
Driver School Candidate

I don't know too much about doing the install for a backup camera as mine has it with the Nav system, but Sewell Lexus online has a good install for XM/Sirius which might help you figure out how to run the wires through the car and such. I'm using the instructions to get to the stock amp behind the seats.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...f/RX350_xm.pdf

Idk if that's the kind of thing which would help you, but I figured I'd let you take a look at it.
Old 03-04-10, 11:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Maverick16
I don't know too much about doing the install for a backup camera as mine has it with the Nav system, but Sewell Lexus online has a good install for XM/Sirius which might help you figure out how to run the wires through the car and such. I'm using the instructions to get to the stock amp behind the seats.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...f/RX350_xm.pdf

Idk if that's the kind of thing which would help you, but I figured I'd let you take a look at it.
Good idea.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-04-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 11:56 AM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the pdf. The instruction is very informative. It will definitely help when I need to remove panels in the car to run the wires. My car has the Sirius radio installed already but it looked complicated if I were to do it myself. Hopefully the backup camera will be easier. If I get the wireless one then I don't have to run the wires through the car.

If they have another pdf for the trunk liftgage it would be perfect. I'll search the internet again to see if I can find similar instruction to the one you posted.

Last edited by daihung; 03-04-10 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 02:08 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Discussion on the Lexus Platinum Warranty with $0 deductible.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...counted-2.html
Old 03-04-10, 02:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Discussion on the Lexus Platinum Warranty with $0 deductible.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...counted-2.html

Great post!
The OP got raped without lube and should cancel his warranty and buy it again for $1370.Paid $2300 and it's $1370 for the same 8/75.
If he bought it within the last 30 days,he'll only lose $25 + any sales tax he paid.
Old 03-04-10, 02:32 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

If I lived in NY and parked on the street I'd probably get a bull bar. Mostly for the added protection and for how they look.
Old 03-05-10, 12:17 PM
daihung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Great post!
The OP got raped without lube and should cancel his warranty and buy it again for $1370.Paid $2300 and it's $1370 for the same 8/75.
If he bought it within the last 30 days,he'll only lose $25 + any sales tax he paid.
Thanks to this forum, I think I just saved approximately $770. Today is the 28th day of my Platinum extended warranty which I paid $2300 + tax (total $2,501.25.) I called Lexus Financial Service to cancel the warranty and they gave me a full refund of $2300. I then called Troy from Toyota of Greenfield and he quoted me $1530 for 8yrs/75k miles ($1370 was probably a typo.) I'll have the same exact coverage as before with Lexus Financial Service (not Toyota.) I’ll probably not going to get the tax back but I saved $770.

Without this forum, I'd have never known I can cancel the warranty within 30 days and get a much better deal. Thank you once again.

Now I just need to buy the backup camera and maybe a bull bar. I’m still searching for the instruction on how to open up the trunk liftgate panels to run the wires.

Last edited by daihung; 03-05-10 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-05-10, 01:12 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Welcome to the Club.

If I lived in NY and parked on the street I'd probably get a bull bar. Mostly for the added protection and for how they look.
Looks is purely subjective.

Added protection is questionable. Before I added the bull bars on my RX300, I did some research ... it turn out that for minor stuff it is ok but it might do more damage .. really depends upon how the energy gets distributed. The vehicle safety testing was done without the bars. A long time back some one posted pictures after the accident and clearly brush-guard [not the bull-bars ... I am trying to make a point] which was hit on the left-side caused damage on the right side.

[Plug for Joas: It is close to 10yrs since I installed mine ... the design is solid and the welds are great ,, the chrome is as shiny as day1. Buy a good one, else you will be taking it off in few years].

Salim