RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New 2004 RX330 owner! Acura transfer...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 09:53 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

The RX330 can use 87 without issues. You can use 89 or 93 octane.

I have been using 87 and have no complaints. Average 21 mppg city and highway.

Since you have a CPO (good job!), you will be able to get most of the issues resolved free or near free. There are quite a few TSB's on our RX330's, especially the 2004 which was the 1st year of launch.

Nothing to be alarmed about, nothing really major, but some of the issues can be irritating, just keep an eye on these (the top 4 that came to my mind, which happened to me) and I am not trying to scare you:

1. Headlamp condensation. Need replace.
2. Roof rack Crossbar issue. Need replace.
3. Transmission "thump" on ~30 mph while coasting. Need TSB done.
4. Transmission "hunting." Need re-programming of ECU.

The task at hand is to identify which ones have been addressed, the Owner's website will help you find out.

Good luck, enjoy your RX330 and post a pic!
Old 03-15-10, 10:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostyan
Coming from a TSX of course you will see more sumptous interior! I disagree that Lexus fit and finish is level above all Acura models. MDX stands very well on its own compared to an RX, with way more room, more powerful engine, and more advanced tech/nav.
I`ll take a Lexus over a Hound dog any day.
Old 03-15-10, 03:42 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
The RX330 can use 87 without issues. You can use 89 or 93 octane.

I have been using 87 and have no complaints. Average 21 mppg city and highway.

Since you have a CPO (good job!), you will be able to get most of the issues resolved free or near free. There are quite a few TSB's on our RX330's, especially the 2004 which was the 1st year of launch.

Nothing to be alarmed about, nothing really major, but some of the issues can be irritating, just keep an eye on these (the top 4 that came to my mind, which happened to me) and I am not trying to scare you:

1. Headlamp condensation. Need replace.
2. Roof rack Crossbar issue. Need replace.
3. Transmission "thump" on ~30 mph while coasting. Need TSB done.
4. Transmission "hunting." Need re-programming of ECU.

The task at hand is to identify which ones have been addressed, the Owner's website will help you find out.

Good luck, enjoy your RX330 and post a pic!
I will register the RX tonight and see what has been done. I was glad to be able to get a CPO Lexus in my price range. I keep telling people, it cost the same as a base Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 with a better warranty. Nobody believes me. I'm not concerned about the year, what interests me is what is the best deal for me and I feel like I did OK. Heck, a 2005 Toyota Sequoia with 65K and no warranty and cloth seats cost the same. I'd rather take the Lexus, with the warranty, better gas mileage, and a heck of a lot smoother ride.
I tell people that I got a Lexus and everyone thinks they are expensive. I tell them, you paid more for you 2009 Nissan Rogue than I paid for mine and people think I'm crazy.

OK, so 87 and I'll be fine, but what should I put in? If 93 will make my engine run longer and run smoother, than I'll do it. If it won't make a difference, I'll run 87.

Thanks and I'll try and posts pictures soon. I was looking on the option sheet for the car and I guess I'll know for sure when I register it but I picked up a:

CPO 2004 RX330 2WD
Premium Package
Power Rear Door
Rain Sensing Wipers
I've got 18" wheels, that may be an option, they look normal, but apparently some came with 17's.

I thought I had the Premium Plus, but I don't have HID headlights, so that takes it out of the question.

As for the RX/MDX comparison. They had a 2003 MDX on the lot and I got to sit in one right after the RX. They might be slightly bigger inside and they do have the 3rd row seat, but realistically, the 3rd row has no room. I thought the MDX would be considerably bigger inside, and I didn't find that to be true.
It had almost no leg room for the driver compared to the RX. The back had the same amount of leg room. I liked the leather, dash, and overall look of the RX better than the MDX. Having said that, Acura hit a homerun with the 2007+ MDX. Your 2006 TL is my second favorite Acura behind the 1G TSX.

Thanks for your comments and I look forward to many enjoyable years in our RX. So far, so good.
Old 03-17-10, 10:54 AM
blackrx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the original poster, though the RX330 build quality is very good, it is not light years ahead of any Acuras. they are very similar in the quality of materials used. the only things that lexus, in this case the RX330, have over any Acuras of the same year is the quietness and plush leather. that's it! my RX is beyond considered "solid". the chassis flexes on inclines/declines, creaks and rattles everywhere, esp. in the trunk and dash area, the paint chips easily, headlight condensation, transmission problems, etc...etc....you should see my folder of all the services i had the local dealer performed while under warranty. if the original owner didn't bother with any of the TSBs, expect to see alot of the common problems to surface during your ownership....unless you're like my ex-girlfriend who can't even tell that her tire was flat to the point where she riding on the aluminum wheel only.
Old 03-17-10, 12:43 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

I understand and you are right, the leather and quietness are the two main points. I'm sure I will have little issues here in there but that is why the CPO status will cover anything during the first years of my ownership.
My Acura's have been great cars, don't get me wrong. So far the RX seems like a solid vehicle and will fit our needs perfectly. Acura is improving in various areas except for overall looks.
Sorry about your ex-girlfriend, that would drive me crazy too.
Old 03-17-10, 05:39 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tftimm
I understand and you are right, the leather and quietness are the two main points. I'm sure I will have little issues here in there but that is why the CPO status will cover anything during the first years of my ownership.
My Acura's have been great cars, don't get me wrong. So far the RX seems like a solid vehicle and will fit our needs perfectly. Acura is improving in various areas except for overall looks.
Sorry about your ex-girlfriend, that would drive me crazy too.

I`m sorry but Acura`s are getting uglier every year.
Old 03-17-10, 07:33 PM
blackrx330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
exterior wise...yes, ugly as ever, but interior wise, they got some of the best looking interiors. way better than any german cars, that's for sure!
Old 03-18-10, 06:59 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

I agree, exteriors are horrible, interiors are some of the most simple yet refined interiors available. They also have many tech features yet are still affordable.

I'd recommend Acura to anyone really, it just depends on what your looking for.
Old 03-18-10, 07:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I saw one yesterday,an Acura but I`m not sure what model it was.It looked like it had a goofy smile on the front.
Old 03-18-10, 08:48 AM
blackrx330
Driver School Candidate

that must be the new TLs; ulgiest acura ever! i've heard many comments that the rear looks like the front and vice-versa.
Old 03-18-10, 08:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blackrx330
that must be the new TLs; ulgiest acura ever! i've heard many comments that the rear looks like the front and vice-versa.
I think your right about the model. What the Hell is Acura thinking? Of course people used to by those ugly Pontiac Aztek mini vans too.
Old 05-01-10, 04:56 PM
rxnewb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
I agree. Not sure what is the deal with their front grill thing. That thing is ugly!
Old 05-01-10, 05:51 PM
phlfly
Driver

Well, this thread again turn into argue between MDX and RX.
I bring my opinion. I had Acura 3.2 TL, so in the end I got BMW 3 -series, why?
Because if Honda is claimed 3.2 TL sport luxury sedan, then I'm ballerina. Any ramp, TL is about to slide. So people got to choose vehicle by their needs.
I got RX, after 3 year of owning GMC Acadia. This is a perfect car for big family , who is hated vans. I have big family, but one of the kids is about going to college, plus my mother -in-law has decided move back to her country. So I don't need a such big Crossover. Acadia has three row seats and you can actually sit there 3 kids, or 2 adults with out any problem. The cargo is huge, and handle is outstanding either snow, dry or rain condition. If I need a space I will choice Acadia over MDX for 100%. BTW, for three years I have not a single problem, accept transmission software update.
I like RX330, as crossover, as space I need it.
It handles very close to Acadia, just a little lighter as car.