RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New 2004 RX330 owner! Acura transfer...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 08:13 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 2004 RX330 owner! Acura transfer...

Well, I've posted a lot of posts in the LX and especially the GX thread concerning my situation. Basically, I was looking for an smooth SUV that was reliable. I wanted a full size SUV and not a RAV4, CRV, etc. I wanted something bigger with a decent amount of ground clearance.

Yesterday, my wife and I went and looked and came home with a 2004 CPO RX330 with 52K miles. It is a one owner, and the only option I know it has is a tow hitch. It does have a wood steering wheel which may have also been an option, but I haven't read up too much on it.

While buying it, I used my trustful vehicle dictionary and reliability guide, Consumer Reports. I was originally looking at a higher (maybe 75K) GX but after considering the situation, the RX made more sense.

We got our Certified 2004 RX for $20,500 +TTL (which wasn't much considering trade). They basically gave me what I owed on my 2008 TSX (about $18.5K) which is what I was hoping for since it had been in an accident. I also added the extended care Lexus Warranty for 4 years 125K miles. It was a little expensive, but that gives me basically a 4 year, 70K mile warranty which is good to know.

I will talk about the vehicle in a minute, but let me talk about the service at Lexus. The "deal" process for me is never fun, I always feel like I'm getting screwed. According to CR, a CPO 2004 RX330 retails for about $23,000 so I'm hoping I didn't get screwed too much. Anyways, the dealer service and treatment was top notch. The people, everyone, receptionist, finance, salesman are all really nice to everyone. It was a great feeling, positive, helpful, and not pushy. Free snacks, an attendant who could make drinks, there were fresh cookies, a lady giving free massages, the works. I thought Acura was good, but Lexus is a step above. Having said that, you pay for it in your car, I'm not going to be fooled there, but it is a nice feeling.

We are coming from a 2008 TSX. The RX330 is a nice vehicle. The build quality is light years ahead of Acura. I've had three Acura's and I thought they were great cars, and still do, but Lexus is way above Acura. Here are some of the basic reasons:

1) Leather quality: The 6 year old Lexus' leather looks better than my TSX leather did, and I took great care of it. The Lexus leather is so soft...wow
2) Steering wheel: Something so simple, yet it feels so refined and classy
3) Transmission: I can only describe it with this, if you parked the TSX on an incline, and put it in park, the car would rock back a bit. With the RX, when you park it, it doesn't hardly move at all. It feels solid.
4) Rattles: The TSX had none, but this just feels solid
5) Build Quality: Overall, the truck is solid, motor, the door slam (thump).

Overall, I'm very pleased. We'll see how the quality goes. Buying a Certified Lexus with the 3/100K mile warranty makes me feel good just in case. That is the only real question mark.

I got 24mpg on the way home which was a nice surprise, I looked in the manual trying to verify that I need to put in Premium and it was a little fuzzy on what gas it needs to run normal. I read some of the threads, but they just confused me. I guess I'll go with 93 for now, the other options are 87 and 89.

Anything I should look for or be aware of?

Thanks to all of you on Club Lexus, you are a great place for all Lexus information and I look forward to future help.
Old 03-13-10, 08:23 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Do register your vehicle on Lexus website.
Check with the local dealer and get service history. Plan and fix any deficiency.
Make sure you have all the keys [2 master, 1 valet, 1 card].
Check the spare/jack/tools.

And Enjoy your vehicle. Post picture here and post often.

Salim
Old 03-13-10, 08:34 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

I haven't registered it on the website yet. I will check with dealer and get service history. Carfax has some of the basics, but I will check.

Keys, I got the two masters, valet, and card? Explain please...
They showed me the jack, spare, locks, etc. so they are all there.

I'll try and take some pictures ASAP.

I see your from Austin, I got mine at North Park in SA.
Old 03-13-10, 08:43 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

I will register my RX, but are there "real" advantages to doing so? If so, like what?
Old 03-13-10, 09:30 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tftimm
I will register my RX, but are there "real" advantages to doing so? If so, like what?
You can see the entire service history of the vehicle, if it was done by Lexus. It will also alert you to any vehicle service campaigns or other service alerts. You can download all owner manuals, navigation maps, view instructional videos. You can add owner service, new tires, etc to the service history of the vehicle, and more...
Old 03-13-10, 09:35 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the link to the My Lexus website:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 03-13-10, 09:54 PM
ilvmyrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '07 RX350, but I consider to trade it for a '08 TSX. I understand that both cars have different audiences, but since you have/had both of these cars, how do you compare them in term of acceleration and safety? Thanks.
Old 03-14-10, 08:30 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

The TSX was in a sandwich accident about 4500 miles into owning it. There for 4 cars involved in the accident starting with the first (in front). It stopped to let a car turn into a gas station, the second was mine, the third was an older Oldsmobile, and the last one was the idiot. He didn't slow down in a 40mph zone and slammed into the back of the Oldsmobile, who hit the back of my wife who hit the back of the car in front of her.

When I got there, she was sure the bumper was smashed and she was surprised the airbags didn't go off. Basically, the car absorbed the colision very well. The car behind her was probably totaled, the TSX sustained about $4K in damage, which was mainly labor. Both bumpers were replaced and some other minor parts.

I will say that insurance on the RX is about $10/mos less than the TSX. The TSX felt safe.

As for acceleration, the TSX is quick around town. With 4 people, you definitely notice the difference, but with one or two, it will get you where you need to go. The handling is great but the turning radius is horrible. The engine loves to rev to high RPM's as that is where the power is in Honda engines. Straight acceleration, I would say they are probably about the same with the edge going to the TSX. I had an automatic too.

Also, I as looking at the options list and I have:
Wood Steering Wheel and Shift ****
Tow Package
Automatic Tailgate

I will sign myself up on the Lexus website.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the TSX. In my opinion, probably Acura's best looking vehicle. Also, gas mileage on the highway is about 30, around town, about 21 which isn't that great. It also takes premium fuel.
Old 03-14-10, 09:05 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by tftimm
I haven't registered it on the website yet. I will check with dealer and get service history. Carfax has some of the basics, but I will check.

Keys, I got the two masters, valet, and card? Explain please...
They showed me the jack, spare, locks, etc. so they are all there.

I'll try and take some pictures ASAP.

I see your from Austin, I got mine at North Park in SA.
I forgot to mention .. read the owners manual ... it will answer the question about the keys. If you have the two master keys [black shell], you are in good shape.

Salim
Old 03-14-10, 10:04 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats on the ride!
Old 03-14-10, 02:22 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the valet key is basically the key without the remote unlocking:

the card key is for you to put in your walet (though its a bit thick) so that you will have a key if you ever get locked out.

Old 03-15-10, 07:23 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

I have both black keys, although I don't have this black card key.

I have flipped through the owners manual but I will read it this week. If you can tell me, what octane gas do you use? Consumer reports says regular and if the truck was built and programmed to run on regular, I don't believe that there is a true advantage to put in premium.

What did they put in it at the dealer?
Old 03-15-10, 07:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I would use the 89,or Premium fuel.
Old 03-15-10, 09:00 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

I'll probably use 89.
Old 03-15-10, 09:53 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Coming from a TSX of course you will see more sumptous interior! I disagree that Lexus fit and finish is level above all Acura models. MDX stands very well on its own compared to an RX, with way more room, more powerful engine, and more advanced tech/nav.

Quick Reply: New 2004 RX330 owner! Acura transfer...