RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Coilovers, Springs, Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 02:18 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

H&R's arrived. Now I gotta find some one to install them or at least help me do it

Freaken refuse to pay shops. No reason for it. Most of my friends can do it with ease. Take less time and don't charge Shops take there time and overcharge.
Old 08-22-10, 10:53 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Got the H&R's installed today. A pretty nice drop. More than I expected. Ride is very diff. now. More like a Wagon than an SUV in a way. Much more stable on the terns. I like them so far. A tad less cushy ride however. Just a tad stiffer.

PS: Much stuffer Wishing there was a softer spring. I definitely can live with this but I liked the cushy ride over bumps before the springs.

Last edited by infinirx; 08-23-10 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 03:59 AM
AirJames
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics Purty Please

Originally Posted by infinirx
Got the H&R's installed today. A pretty nice drop. More than I expected. Ride is very diff. now. More like a Wagon than an SUV in a way. Much more stable on the terns. I like them so far. A tad less cushy ride however. Just a tad stiffer.

PS: Much stuffer Wishing there was a softer spring. I definitely can live with this but I liked the cushy ride over bumps before the springs.
Dang, the stiffer ride sucks =/ I wonder how it compares to Eibach... could we get pics so that we can see if it's worth the drop? =)

It's been a while since I've been on these forums and I haven't been able to keep up on springs but I've noticed a lot of new posts with more spring selections. Before, it was just Eibach, Intrax(1.5" F/R ) and H & R. It looks like the Zoom Bane looks the best option for low drops. I don't know which one to get. I have 20" rims w/ 255/45 tires and am looking to get new tires as well, so it'd be nice to do both. Any recommendations?
Old 08-24-10, 12:11 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Just to be clear it's perfectly acceptable. I think it's hard to expect a cushy ride going so low. Maybe the Eibach is but I dunno. They are both sport springs I think.

Before:

After:

You can see more than a decent drop. Could almost double it with air but.....
Old 08-24-10, 11:01 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, looks like more than an inch drop.
Old 08-24-10, 11:32 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eibach is about 1 inch drop after the install until the settlement of the spring which may be another additional .2 -.25 of an inch.
Old 08-25-10, 12:17 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by veleno
wow, looks like more than an inch drop.
More than an inch. Like 1.5 I would say. Says 1.3 I think but seems like more to me.
Old 08-25-10, 12:18 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

From my post here a month ago?

Application: H&R Sport Springs Lexus RX330 2003-2006

Front Lowering (inch) 1.3
Rear Lowering (inch) 1.2

Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Spring Lexus RX 330 2003-2005 has the following features:

FRONT REAR
Ride Height Drop (inch) 1.2 1.2
Old 08-25-10, 04:38 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

The RX is a weird car. It looks better with factory wheels most of the time than with the aftermarket wheels Ive seen. Same with the springs. Seems to look better with the stock ride height than with the drop. Maybe Im weird lol. I just bought the Eibachs and havent installed it yet. The ride being much stiffer on your H&R's has me worried Maybe Ill send em back and just use the factory springs with tthe KYBs. Anyone with Eibach on an RX experience?
Old 08-25-10, 07:19 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I disagree on the look. I think it's better lower. But yeah a stiffer ride. The way the suspension is set up at least on the AWD is it's pretty easy to take out the shocks. Not a really hard labor job. I would try the Eibach and drive around about a week see how you like it.
Old 09-01-10, 04:36 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI...

1. Normal Springs (Linear rate Springs, Specific Rate Springs)
In a normal spring, space between the coils are equal. Normal (or linear rate) springs are designed to respond with a specific rate when compressed.

Consider we have a 10-coil spring, each coil spaced 2 centimeters apart. Put a load on the spring to compress it 2 centimeters. Because in Normal Springs coils compress at the same rate, this 2 centimeters will be divided into all 10 coils equal, resulting each coil spaced 1,8 cm apart. Put another additional load which is the same as the first one and the coils will become 1,6 cm apart.

2. Progressive Springs (Rising Rate Springs, Progressive Rate Springs, Progressive Wound Springs)
In progressive springs each coil is spaced differently and have a variable spring rate. When free, it is easy to compress progressive springs for first centimeters. As you apply more forces, coil on a progressive spring come closer. After a certain point, coil at the top 1/4 of progressive springs begin to touch each other and finally become inactive or dead, and that makes the spring stiffer. Apply more forces to a progressive spring then it becomes stiffer because as the number of active coils in a spring decreases, the spring rate increases. So, progressive springs may both be sensitive to very small bumps on the road, while giving the stiffness you need during hard braking and turning.

Eibach = Progressive Rate springs
H&R = Linear Rate springs
Old 09-16-10, 04:01 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was wanting to lower my RX330 and I like the drop from what I can see, however am worried about the plush / cushy ride disappearing with that. So would need to buy linear springs? Would that ensure most of the cushyness is there when I drive the car?
Old 09-16-10, 05:50 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Mine are linear I believe. Your gonna lose a bit of softness lol no matter what.
Old 09-17-10, 01:17 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by draco
I was wanting to lower my RX330 and I like the drop from what I can see, however am worried about the plush / cushy ride disappearing with that. So would need to buy linear springs? Would that ensure most of the cushyness is there when I drive the car?
the eibachs will ride better but it will be a little firmer than stock
Old 09-18-10, 10:40 AM
ej20child
Rookie

Just to be clear it's perfectly acceptable. I think it's hard to expect a cushy ride going so low. Maybe the Eibach is but I dunno. They are both sport springs I think.

Before:

After:

You can see more than a decent drop. Could almost double it with air but.....
Any updated pictures of your car now since the springs have settle?

Quick Reply: RX350 Coilovers, Springs, Shocks?